Theron's Quest for RTC v0.01

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
L!ghthouse
Craftsman

Post by L!ghthouse »

BY:L!ghthouse

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! Here is the community’s Christmas present from me!

Okay, I have worked on and off for several months on this project. I finally found some inspiration to finish when I started to read posts saying that others were working on Theron's Quest as well. The game is complete and can be played entirely, however, I know that it isn't perfect and that there will be many tweaks and fixes still to be made.

----------
DOWNLOAD LINKS FOR V0.01:

http://rapidshare.com/files/8357195/The ... 1.RTC.html
http://www.dmjump.net/Theron_s_Quest_for_RTC_v0.01.RTC (13.6Mb)
- additional direct file link - b.

----------
SPECIAL FEATURE - THERON's QUEST INTRO:

I have recorded the intro to Theron's Quest and uploaded it. You may download it here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/8357620/The ... _.wmv.html
http://www.dmjump.net/Theron_s_Quest__Intro_.wmv
- additional direct file link - b.

----------
CREDITS:

I have to give credit where credit is due:
GG - For putting up with my complaints and hopefully more so that this project can be complete.
thom - I dumped my level selector design (using black doors, blue haze, and teleporters) after seeing thom's demo and I decided to use his (much better) design for the level selector.
Sphenx - I relied on the original conversion by Sphenx to complete some puzzles (brilliant!).

----------
KNOWN ISSUES:

1) In the original, the message "GO AWAY AND RESURRECT THERON" is displayed when you try to quit the game when Theron is dead. I had to change this a little because I couldn't find a way to only specify Theron as a dead character. As is, it will display the message "GO AWAY AND RESURRECT ALL PARTY MEMBERS" and will not allow you to quit the mission without resurrecting everyone. I like it better this way anyways.

2) The default behavior of Theron's Quest was to remove all party members after completing each quest and to start Theron out with his default equipment and stats each quest. Since there was no way of doing this with RTC currently, I got rid of this feature. You keep all equipment and characters throughout the game. If this feature is added in a future version of RTC, I will include it.

3) On the first level of "THE TOMB OF SARMON" where you enter, there is an object teleporter there. It is supposed to be 2 spaces south of its location. RTC must respond faster than the original did because when you place the teleporter there, the object you throw flies so fast that the door doesn't have time to open. This doesn't change anything about the puzzle, only the location of the teleporter.

----------
THINGS THAT APPEAR TO BE PROBLEMS, BUT ARE NOT:

1) "The monsters are really weak!" Yes, this was how the original game was. Theron and his gang were global superpowers compared to the creatures that you encounter.

2) "Where are all the decorations?" Theron's Quest was not built to be pretty. The game lacks the slime on the walls / floor, the random hooks / manacles, the holes in the wall, and all other decorations. I am considering an "Enhanced Theron's Quest for RTC" to resolve both of these... but I'll wait and see how the community feels first.

----------
WHO IS THIS GAME FOR?

1) Enthusiasts who want to be able to say that they have completed every dungeon master game created.

2) Beginners will find Theron's Quest a great introduction to the world of Dungeon Master. It is full of creatures and puzzles, but nothing too complicated or difficult.

3) Anyone who just wants to have fun!

----------
The game is complete and there is even an Easter egg at the end just for fun. ENJOY!

Backup: http://cid-5af78f9a064bada7.skydrive.li ... est-44.zip
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hey lighthouse, I assume you won't mind if I add a link to my filespace for your files - since rapidshare seems to be a bit confusing and heavily spammy for itself!

I can probably only get your dungeon just now and will link to the wmv tonight
THOM
Artisan

Post by THOM »

Great! I like that Version.

I've just played Ak-Tu-Ba but so far I have just recognized that at the point where you are turned to the pit the teleporters are turning you left. wouldn't it be more tricky to have them turning west/north? that would mean thy turn you to the pit even you are on the way back.

And is there a restriction of saving the game(sorry - still didn't checked this) ? Would make the game more challenging and would behave like the original.

The File is that big because of the music I presume? Can one change the bitrate to get them smaler? And what music is it - originals?

Maybe we could also add a version with more decoration, and other smaller changes (like DM original and DM RTC)?

But all in all: Congratulation!

THOM
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Re: Theron's Quest for RTC v0.01

Post by Parallax »

L!ghthouse wrote:Theron's Quest for RTC v0.01
BY:L!ghthouse

1) In the original, the message "GO AWAY AND RESURRECT THERON" is displayed when you try to quit the game when Theron is dead. I had to change this a little because I couldn't find a way to only specify Theron as a dead character. As is, it will display the message "GO AWAY AND RESURRECT ALL PARTY MEMBERS" and will not allow you to quit the mission without resurrecting everyone. I like it better this way anyways.
Have that trigger be operated by [EACH_DEAD_PARTY_MEMBER] and activate a relay with the condition CHARACTER = {identifyer of the Theron character} that activates the text (and a teleporter to push you back I assume.)

Of course if you like the way you've done it, don't change it.
L!ghthouse
Craftsman

Post by L!ghthouse »

@beowuff
Thanks for adding those download links! That should help people download them easier.

@thom
1) I agree that the pit teleporters would be more tricky, however, this was the default behavior of Theron's Quest... so to stay true to the original I left it.

2) Currently there is no restriction to saving the game.

3) Yes, the file is large because of the music. I used the original .ogg files that came with the game. I don't know of any way to scale them down anymore. The files range in size from 306KB(0:35) to 3,672KB (7:13). If anyone can tell me of a program I can use to compress these even more, let me know.

4) Yes, I have also considered an Enhanced Theron's Quest for RTC that I may do in parallel with this project (separate from this version). Maybe if I get more people saying they would like to see this, I will pursue it.
L!ghthouse
Craftsman

Post by L!ghthouse »

Parallax wrote:Have that trigger be operated by [EACH_DEAD_PARTY_MEMBER] and activate a relay with the condition CHARACTER = {identifyer of the Theron character} that activates the text (and a teleporter to push you back I assume.)
Thanks! I will have to try that out.

If you completed the game in the original with only Theron as the surviving character, it didn't matter because all characters would be removed from the party and you would have the ability to select new champions the next time you play. In this version, if you were to lose a party member on the first quest then move on, too bad, he's gone for the remainder of the game. If known issue #2 gets fixed, I will try to implement this.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

I wouldn't do anything about thom's complaint about the file being a bit big. At the quoted sizes the ogg files are probably 64kbs - already a low bitrate. 48kbs is possible but sounds rubbish, 96kbs is comparable in quality to standard 128kbs MP3s. Also, with a modern broadband connection, 13MB is a mere fart - took me 20 seconds to download the dungeon :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, I have broadband but it is shared and I download other thigns, so while also fighting with my network I made myself late this morning downloading and transfering the files! Perhaps the rapidshare had soemthign to do with that

I would suggest a music-less version perhaps (I know I turned it off right away when I checked it out, sorry!)
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Great! I olways wanted to play this dungeon and finally i can.
Tell me how its close to original Theron Quest? (the same maps?)

Other question: to enter other dungeons, first its need to find artefact?

Sugestion: Not monsters are weak but party is too experienced (100HP in begining!)
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

I ended the dungeon.
I think of original Theron Quest reproduction to be made well.
And, the music and production of the entrance of each dungeon is wonderful.

It is also good that the last dungeon exists.
It is good to be able to use the equipment which it looks for again.
However, I think that it is regrettable to have to rely on another arms.

You seem to have forgotten to set the click sound to some switches and keyholes.

I think that it cannot escape when falling into the pit of bumping of a long passage of DEN OF SHADODAN.

It is not easy to go up in the difficulty when the character is imported so that a strong character is in the mirror.

I think that the amount difficulty has fallen because it can still carry over
the level and the item.

1500 lowers all the experiences by using ACTION_LOSE_EXPERIENCE when going out of the dungeon. Afterwards, only the amount at the first level increases the experience by using GAIN_EXPERIENCE. I think that it can return it based on the level if it does like this.

All items are dropped by using PUTDOWN_ANY_TILE. Next, the item is removed with Tereportar of one's feet. After turning off Tereportar, it is a teleport in its feet as for the first equipment. I think that it returns to former equipment if it picks it up by using PICK UP afterwards.
It is likely to take time a little because it is necessary to move equipment according to the member by using the relay and to pick up the first equipment.
Please forgive poor English.
L!ghthouse
Craftsman

Post by L!ghthouse »

@Beowuff
I will probably not release a music less version. The reason is that if I ever have to fix a problem with the dungeon, I would have to fix it in both dungeons, or remove the music each time to create a music less version.

RTC will allow you to turn off the music only if you would like and still be able to hear the sound effects (I haven't tested this though).

@Zed5Duke
The dungeon is very close to the original. Other than the issues that I have mentioned, it should be almost an exact clone of the original. If you play them side by side, they look identical. And yes, same maps.

Once you complete the first level and find the Shield Defiant, this unlocks the next 5 levels. You can play them in any order you like, but you cannot play the last level until you complete all of the other levels first.

You are right, the experience that you start out with is very high for this dungeon. That is how the original was. If I create an Enhanced Theron's Quest for RTC, I will change their levels and experience to be much more chalenging (maybe reincarnate only too). That all depends on how many people are interested in this though.

@Tonari
I think that the last level that you are refering to is the Easter Egg that I added. "May the force be with you." It's just for fun and was not in the original.

Could you tell me of the switches and keyholes that do not make sounds so that I can fix them?

I just checked out the pits in Den of Shadodan, and I can find nothing wrong with it. Can you be more specific about what the problem was?

I'll wait and see what GG says about the mirror characters. If he can fix Known Issue #2, I can probably fix the experience problem with Theron as well. (disband party, join theron, swap equipment for ones on a certain tile)
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

L!ghthouse wrote:Could you tell me of the switches and keyholes that do not make sounds so that I can fix them?
I do not limit everything as the discovery. And, a lot of they were.
L!ghthouse wrote:I just checked out the pits in Den of Shadodan, and I can find nothing wrong with it. Can you be more specific about what the problem was?
I seemed not to be able to go out of the bottom of pit. But it is likely to make a mistake about me.
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

endless advices
-prior character seem to be too stongh and when i seen knight with full armor and every stats of hudreads pionts and master experience, it give me feeling like its too easy
-i found scroll about details which hide revards but there was big button on wall which only blind could miss. So again i have feeling that its kid toy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

L!ghthouse wrote:WHO IS THIS GAME FOR?

2) Beginners will find Theron's Quest a great introduction to the world of Dungeon Master. It is full of creatures and puzzles, but nothing too complicated or difficult.

Yeah, it is ridiculouisly easy wit hthose charatcers, but that was the game - and you should spot the 'small details' scroll is directly from the start of DM!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i started 3rd level (village of thieves) and after the presentation part, i'm immediately teleported at the beginning of the level in front of... a giant scorpion !
was this intended ?

btw, i killed him easily.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

...yes it was. i didn't have luck that time because the scorpion was located in front of the dead-end i teleported into, and blocked my way.

now i'm stuck into Tomb of Sarmon.
i opened the door with the skeleton key : there's a 4 tiles room with 4 plates and poison shooters that kill my party instantly when i walk on the plate. can't see a way to pass this one.. :?
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

linflas wrote:now i'm stuck into Tomb of Sarmon.
i opened the door with the skeleton key : there's a 4 tiles room with 4 plates and poison shooters that kill my party instantly when i walk on the plate. can't see a way to pass this one.. :?
I have not understood the method of releasing it either.
But I has advanced while recovering with VI potion.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i tried to drink a few shield potions, and i kept one of my character alive (4 life pts !) but he dies 1 second later because of the poison and i don't have enough time to make him drink a vi potion !
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

Oh, poison damage works effectively in this trap. :o

Once every 15 seconds that the poison damage occurs. It is the same timing as a natural recovery.
You can make time to drink VI potion by the thing that looks at timing where the poison damage occurs and manages it.

When stepping on the tile in front of the button, the poison two times hits you. Therefore, it might be more difficult.
First of all, two VI potion is prepared.
When time that hits character and it hits wall, poison causes damage.
To enlarge the difference of time of damage, character is put on a sub-
tile away from wall.
It takes a stance at the position of the mouth with VI potion in the mouse hand.
After the occurrence of poison damage is waited, you moves in front of
button.
When the poison hit you, VI potion is quickly drunk. It is quicker than another poison hits the wall.
After that, the second VI potion is quickly drunk. It is quicker than poison damage occurs.

It was a situation that I look like, too. But I managed to come it through. :wink:
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

wow ! finally completed in about 3 hours ! :)
a few remarks :
- RTC crashed when i resurrected Dotan in Vi altar where you have to put the Retaliator, and it was already in. So i had to remove it, resurrect Dotan and put it back.
- the special ending level was apocalyptic comparing to the rest of the adventure, but as i played with only Theron and Dotan, there was a free 3rd place ;) Nice weapons btw !
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

Couldn't download this when it was just on Rapidshare (my PC just doesn't cooperate with that site at all), but since the new link turned up I've been able to try it. I'm really enjoying it! I'm in the Tower of Durotar at the moment, liking the mix of classic DM puzzles and some new ones. I've been stumped a few times but only for a short while.

One criticism I have - and this is probably directed at the original game seeing as this is a recreation of it - is that there are a few instances where you take a rather unfair beating because you have to move rapidly under physical danger (closing doors and fireballs, specifically), yet your route is blocked by creatures. Very frustrating indeed.

Other than that it's superb, and I really like the ambient sounds :)
L!ghthouse
Craftsman

Post by L!ghthouse »

Glad you are enjoying it! Try v0.02, it has many bug fixes and enhancements that will fix many of the problems that you are encountering. There is one puzzle that involves poison shooters (read the posts from linflas and Tonari) that was nearly impossible in v0.01. Let me know what you think of v0.02.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I suppose Lighthouse isn't around anymore. Of course I'd be glad to hear from you if you was :-) .

Still - does anyone know for sure which RTC version TQ v0.01 was created with, which RTC version the latest release of TQ V0.01 was compiled with, and what engine version is the latest that safely runs TQ v0.01?

Lighthouse - or anyone else who has the files: Since my main intention currently is the preservation of custum dungeons and prevention of data loss - would you maybe provide the sourcefiles, please? Of course you still decide yourself whether they shall be public or not.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Folioman
Neophyte

Post by Folioman »

Hi,I don't know if there is life on this topic,but I wanted first to thank L!ghthouse for his great job. Its been years I was looking for Theron's Quest,for the fan of Dungeon Master I am,thank you!!
I'd like to ask L!ghthouse if you can give us his Therons-Quest-v0.01.txt for RTC so we can use it to make more custom dungeons with more portraits,changing the names of heros,adding more monsters...

that would be so great!

Thanks
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

You can also play the original Theron's Quest with an TurboGrafX / PC Engine emulator, see http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/252
The same goes for Dungeon Master Nexus with Sega Saturn emulator.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Folioman
Neophyte

Post by Folioman »

Thanks but I tried and I didn't like it,cause I can't use the mouse and for me it's unplayable...
I played l!ghthouse version with RTC and I really enjoyed it. Now what I would like to have is a L!ighthouse Theron's Quest version with text format,so I could edit the dungeon with RTC editor.
Folioman
Neophyte

Post by Folioman »

Thank you for your link linflas! I'll try as soon as I can.
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

I am having another go at this one and I am stuck on the level that you need the Soulcage. I have got Sarmons Bones and have gone onto the conveyor level below and just keep getting thrown everywhere. Do I have to do something with Sarmons bones to get the Soulcage? Is the Soulcage hidden on the conveyor level somewhere. Many thanks for any assistance.
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Just realised that I was carrying the Soulcage all along. Didn't realise it was a necklace. Came to an abrupt end though as when I finished this level that was it. I thought there might have been something else.
Decompositor
Novice

Post by Decompositor »

Now another problem which I encountered a few weeks ago:
Spoiler
In the Den of Shadodan I managed to dispatch of the dragon and returned to the entry level via the teleport. Then I dashed into the corridor with the "Forwards Backwards" riddle, went through it and finally came to the end of the corridor where the Crown of Nerra was located. However, I could not get back to the point of entry to put down the Taza Armor. I guess it might have to do with the pressure plate where the crown lay, but even dashing down the corridor I would not have enough time to reach the moving wall before it would close again. Or does it require laying down a special item on the pressure plate? But then again I might have spoiled it by pressing the switch in the wall. Or is there another way to reopen the passage back to the entry point?