Review : Sukumvit 2a

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Joramun
Mon Master

Review : Sukumvit 2a

Post by Joramun »

Gameplay: 8
The gameplay is good, the runes are distributed cleverly in the dungeon. One thing that didn't work : botas didn't getful when put in a fountain.
No really original weapons, but somehow, the dungeon makes sense and plays well.

Originality: 8
Ok it's only a 8 because there's no custom weapons or spells. BUT :
New monsters with original attacks, original puzzles, good storyline, hints from LEXUS... all that is just great !

Difficulty: 10
Well the dungeon is difficult, but never unfair. If you're well prepared, you won't die stupidly (except down some pits :) ) and you're always conscious of the risk you take when you go somewhere : there's no part where you're stuck because you just can't measure with the foes. I liked the bosses, too.

Puzzles: 9
Puzzles are nice, no real red herring but some do require a bit of thinking (or hints from Linflas ;) ) but sometimes, I really didn't know what to do except knocking my head and clicking on every wall. I liked "Living Doors" "reach the fourth row" etc.

Size: 10
Only six levels, but what levels ! The dungeon feels big, because every tiny space is used. Somehow everything has the size it should have to look good in DM, no less, no more.

Replayability: 7
You can chose other heroes and complete Ruby or Sapphire in the order you want, so it's more replayable than any other dungeon except Conflux. But honestly, I don't really know how to mark, because aside from conflux, where replayability is infinite, most dungeons are a one-time game. Even CSB lost a part of its mystery the second time...

Craft: 10
In the beginning orienting is not too hard, but as you progress, new ways open and the dungeon become a big Swiss cheese, except you don't know in which hole you are. I felt even more lost than in Surgical Strike, because of the intricated design of the dungeon. The game mechanics also plays without problem, not once was I stucked by doing something weird in a puzzle room. Really well crafted !

Game Ending: 6 or 8
...depending on the stuff you have. I suppose that if you don't grab the correct item, beating the boss is almost impossible, unless having 4 good level master wizards and priests... But other than that I liked the ending, the story is good. And I stole stuff to the damn master so I feel happy :)

Atmosphere: 8
The story line and Lexus really puts the player into the game. The new monsters, and the DM2 graphics are integrated to give a really anguishing atmosphere, everything just FITS.

Overall: 9
This is one of the best dungeons I've played especially because of its graphics and originality. You can play it casually an advance everytime you load a game. No "I've been roaming for 5 days doing nothing" situation !

Best part:
Well, I don't want to spoil. I liked : Lexus, the Guardians, Dragon Lair.

Worst part: (out of a very good dungeon )
Some really hidden buttons.
The end has less clues and interventions from Lexus, compensated by the wallsets, monsters and overall frightening atmosphere.
Last edited by Joramun on Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What Is Your Quest ?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

thanks for the review ! but the very end part is really apocalyptic :twisted:
as i told you in private, there are still a couple of mistakes in this version that don't affect the game a lot :
- sometimes, a darkness spell is invoked by a creature that you shouldn't meet before the end and i know it is annoying.
- When Lexus talks about "lions", you must read "rams".