[Custom dungeon] Theron's Quest for RTC [RTC] [Lighthouse]

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
L!ghthouse
Craftsman

[Custom dungeon] Theron's Quest for RTC [RTC] [Lighthouse]

Post by L!ghthouse »

Version: 0.02/0.01 for RTC 0.44
Platform: RTC
Author: Lighthouse
Date published: 2006, December 21
Date last updated: 2006, December 21

Been working on this on and off since v0.01. Now that spring break is here and I finally had time to finish updating this project. There are many changes that have been made, however, it is still not perfect so if you find a bug or have a suggestion for a future version... please share!

Story:
Theron's Quest conversion for RTC, as close as possible to the original.
The game is complete and there is even an Easter egg at the end just for fun. ENJOY!

"Ak-Tu-Ba" dungeon

"The City of Formicia" dungeon

"Village of Thieves" dungeon

"Tower of Drator" dungeon

"Den of Shadodan" dungeon

"The Tomb of Sarmon" dungeon

"Demon's Gate" dungeon

Aim:
WHO IS THIS GAME FOR?

1) Enthusiasts who want to be able to say that they have completed every dungeon master game created.

2) Beginners will find Theron's Quest a great introduction to the world of Dungeon Master. It is full of creatures and puzzles, but nothing too complicated or difficult.

3) Anyone who just wants to have fun!

Notes:
CREDITS:
I have to give credit where credit is due:
GG - For putting up with my complaints and hopefully more so that this project can be complete.
thom - I dumped my level selector design (using black doors, blue haze, and teleporters) after seeing thom's demo and I decided to use his (much better) design for the level selector.
Sphenx - I relied on the original conversion by Sphenx to complete some puzzles (brilliant!).

Known bugs:
1) In the original, the message "GO AWAY AND RESURRECT THERON" is displayed when you try to quit the game when Theron is dead. I had to change this a little because I couldn't find a way to only specify Theron as a dead character. As is, it will display the message "GO AWAY AND RESURRECT ALL PARTY MEMBERS" and will not allow you to quit the mission without resurrecting everyone. I like it better this way anyways.

2) The default behavior of Theron's Quest was to remove all party members after completing each quest and to start Theron out with his default equipment and stats each quest. Since there was no way of doing this with RTC currently, I got rid of this feature. You keep all equipment and characters throughout the game. If this feature is added in a future version of RTC, I will include it.

3) On the first level of "THE TOMB OF SARMON" where you enter, there is an object teleporter there. It is supposed to be 2 spaces south of its location. RTC must respond faster than the original did because when you place the teleporter there, the object you throw flies so fast that the door doesn't have time to open. This doesn't change anything about the puzzle, only the location of the teleporter.

Hints and comments:
THINGS THAT APPEAR TO BE PROBLEMS, BUT ARE NOT:

1) "The monsters are really weak!" Yes, this was how the original game was. Theron and his gang were global superpowers compared to the creatures that you encounter.

2) "Where are all the decorations?" Theron's Quest was not built to be pretty. The game lacks the slime on the walls / floor, the random hooks / manacles, the holes in the wall, and all other decorations. I am considering an "Enhanced Theron's Quest for RTC" to resolve both of these... but I'll wait and see how the community feels first.

History
v0.02 RELEASE NOTES:
#1: MAJOR rebalance of monsters (more difficult). It's not perfect, but it should give experienced dungeon masters more chalenging and enjoyable gameplay.
#2: Health, stamina, and mana were cut in half for all characters. They were simply far too powerful.
#3: Decreased the levels for all characters by 3 each for added difficulty.
#4: Hundreds of fixes to sounds (clicks for keyholes and such). OOPS!
#5: Decreased the power of the poison shooters in the TOMB OF SARMON. It is survivable now!
#6: Keyhole in TOMB OF SARMON now disables the fireball shooters in the hallway.
#7: Changed the behavior of the spinners in AK-TU-BA lvl 2 to match thom's suggestion.
#8: Decorations have been randomly added to the game to make it look much better (in my opinion).
#9: Many VI Altar have been changed to ornate and square alcoves to make them less common.
#10: Added a music-less version at Beowuff's suggestion.

I know that some of these changes were not in the original, but I still believe that I am keeping in the spirit of Theron's Quest. If you could use a mouse and keyboard on the TurboGrafx instead of a controller, I'm sure the game would have been much different. If you want game play closer to the original Theron's Quest... play v0.01. ENJOY!!!

Download:
Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)
Theron's Quest for RTC v0.02 [13.5 MB]
Theron's Quest for RTC v0.02 (music-less) [505 KB]
Starfish
Novice

Post by Starfish »

Hey, so far I like this alot, I've been using it to level up 1 character. So thanks for that. I have one problem though. I'm on Shadoan's Den, the level with the Dragon. I killed the dragon, and then I got back and got pushed by that moving forcefield into the pit. Now this usually isn't a problem as it takes me back to where I need to be to drop of the armor. So I saved. However I'm now stuck in the pit and there seems to be no way out. I've tried pushing all the walls with no luck. What's going on? Is this a glitch? If so what can I do to fix this, because right now all that work I spent going through the game seems to be down the tubes because I have no way out and no prior saves.

Please help!

Thanks.
greatstone
The data extractor

Post by greatstone »

Hello Lighthouse,

Is it possible to post again the files (with and without music) as the first ones seems to be dead?
It would be great to have also the intro of the 0.01 release, as it is also lost in space.

Thanks!
GreatStone.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sadly I can only find v0.01 on my HD, but I do have the .wmv intro that I think came with it

http://www.dmjump.net/Theron_s_Quest__Intro_.wmv
greatstone
The data extractor

Post by greatstone »

Thanks beowuuf!
I will put all the stuff on dmweb, custom dungeon section, to provide an easy access to it.
I hope that Lighthouse will read this and will upload again the 0.02 release also.

G.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Re: [RTC] Theron's Quest for RTC v0.02

Post by Lunever »

Now that I have played original TQ, I would like to have a closer look on the RTC version. Unfortunately my old collection of custom dungeons went to hell quite a while ago along with the hd it was on, and now I have neither v0.1 nor V0.2, and the links above are broken.

Does anyone still have any TQ files for RTC?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I believe so, will make it available next week
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Great. Would be even greater of course if you actually had the latest version available (V0.02).
If so, I think that one should be hosted here (on the Encyclopaedia).
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Edit: Tried again a couple of hours later, now I could download TQ v0.01
However, I still would like to see TQ V0.02
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

I have it, someone can tell me how to upload it ?

I have also found several RTC versions, and the "New Dungeon" :wink: (see other posts)
In Search Of Dungeon Master Grail
But
Resting Now, as
Banned User
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well, I guess Beo or Christophe or Zyx would upload them, if you contact them via pm or email.

Generally you can upload custom dungeons yourself on the Encyclopaedia, provided Christophe assigns you an account there.

Until it is properly unploaded I would ask you whether you can either temporarily upload them on some other public webspace or whether you can send them to me via Email (my name here at gmail dot com).

RTC 0.28, 0.29 and 0.31 to 0.49 are online anyway - what other versions do you still have?

I currently try to make my machine run any custom dungeon and any savegame from any DM platform ever, so I'm generally interested in older versions of engines and custom duingeons too.
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

I have sent you the file, plus "New Dungeon" and "Chaos no gakusyum" :wink:
In Search Of Dungeon Master Grail
But
Resting Now, as
Banned User
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Thank you! I'll make them available for upload as soon as possible.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I suppose Lighthouse isn't around anymore. Of course I'd be glad to hear from you if you was :-) .

Still - does anyone know for sure which RTC version TQ v0.01 was created with, which RTC version the latest release of TQ V0.02 was compiled with, and what engine version is the latest that safely runs TQ v0.02?

Lighthouse - or anyone else who has the files: Since my main intention currently is the preservation of custum dungeons and prevention of data loss - would you maybe provide the sourcefiles, please? Of course you still decide yourself whether they shall be public or not.