Not Just A Game

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
MDNW
Neophyte

Not Just A Game

Post by MDNW »

Dungeon Master to me wasn't just a game it really was a life changing experience.

I am a 30 year old man and as a child I was never really into sports just cartoons and comics.
One day many years ago my mum bought me Dungeon Master for the Atari st that led to Dungeons and Dragons which led to fantasy books I got a job in whsmiths met my wife and now I am a father teaching his son about a game he found on an abandonware site called Dungeon MasterImage
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That's really cool! It's amazing how DM can affect people!

Welcome to the forums :D
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Cool story! And welcome to the forums! Hope you'll enjoy your stay here!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Yeah, I want to watch my young daughter play Dungeon Master one day, too.

Welcome!
tiggy!
Novice

it really is more than a game.

Post by tiggy! »

im 24 years old, my older brother had a copy of DM on an atari ST when i was growing up and i played it all day every day.

i am a successful musician and visual artist now and i truly believe DM helped set my imagination ablaze and made me realize at a very important time in my development how you could use very minimal sonic and visual elements to create an even STRONGER emotonal reaction in people than achieved by games with better graphics.

i stopped playing by the time i was 12 or 13 because the old atari ST died.

when i was 22 i moved to pittsburgh and one night my lung suddenly collapsed. i went to the hospital and had one traumatic experience after another, needing lung surgery in the end. During the recovery period i was on more drugs than you could imagine and STILL in such pain i was begging nurses to kill me. During my recovery period i fell into extreme depression as before this i was singing with a band and doing well and loving it.

laying in bed with a laptop all day, I found DMjava and started to play dungeon master again, and it really helped show me that i could still be excited about something and happy. I was able to have fun for the first time in months, and it was probably one of the main reasons i got over the intense depression i had at the time.

it was nice to come to this site and others and see people talking about things that i hadnt remembered in years, and used to care so much about.

DM seems to leave a big mark on peoples childhood, and has a oddly strong effect on people.

especially in my case.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

wow :shock: *that* is a story ! welcome here tiggy :)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Thanks for sharing the story Tiggy!
I love hearing stuff like that.
Wishbone
Apprentice

Post by Wishbone »

I have a somewhat similar story as MDNW. I am also 30 years old now, and was totally into dungeon crawlers in the late 80ies. First Bloodwych, DM and CSB... later Eye of the Beholder.
I was so thrilled about this whole concept of RPG, I was attempting to program my own RPG dungeon crawler game on my Atari ST when I was 14 years old. From graphics to code; I did it all from scratch. Since then, I always had the urge of making some kind of home-made brew on the latest platforms of that time.
Later on I discovered EOB on the PC and I played nothing else. I remember one area with tons of birdmen that spawned pretty fast, where I spend hours and hours to level my characters up to the maximum.

Tiggy, your story is quite heavy. I hope you are allrite now? Anyways.. as Linflas says.. you are most welcome in our lair :)
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

hey Tiggy, welcome to the forums!
I hope there will be OK with your health!! It`s nice to hear this game arranges your time - it is truly awesome and best game in the world, especially considering the time it was written!!!
As for DM java, it`s quite different from the original games. Have you played DM/CSB and custom dungeons on CSBwin, DSB or RTC?
CSBwin is exact translation of original ST code under Windows, so there`s even no need to use ST emulator!

MDNW, welcome to the forums too!!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

hey guys, check out ConfluxIII - the best custom dungeon made by Zyx:
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... sc&start=0
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
Spoiler
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hey tiggy, officially welcome to the forum - hope you manage to get one version of the original game working again soon!
ParuNexus
Adept

Post by ParuNexus »

I'm 28 tiggy and while not as great story as you, when my brother use to play the game I use to run out of the room when i knew he was going to die, i was scared so much of that sound when i was really little(i was like 8 or 9 then). so yeah whatever the effect DM is powerful(lets not forget the first time meeting the dragon...) Anyhow welcome hope you check out all the possiiblities here. Paul "Pa(ya) Ru(??)" (DM)Nexus
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

ParuNexus wrote:I use to run out of the room when i knew he was going to die, i was scared so much of that sound when i was really little(i was like 8 or 9 then). so yeah whatever the effect DM is powerful(lets not forget the first time meeting the dragon...)
Oh, definitely, it was atmospheric, and for a little kid...!
I remember when my dad was playing, we first caught sight of a scorpion and I dove behind the couch... hehe.
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

I used to play it with my Amiga hooked up to a stereo system. One of the only times I've ever genuinely jumped out of my seat in fright was when I was creeping along and a worm I didn't see attacked me suddenly from the left.
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

lol when my dad and I were playing I would always be scared of the flying wasps 8) . I could never make it past lvl 3 when I was 5.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Joined 27 Feb 2005 as Dark.
Wishbone
Apprentice

Post by Wishbone »

MitchB1990 wrote:lol when my dad and I were playing I would always be scared of the flying wasps 8) . I could never make it past lvl 3 when I was 5.
Lol.. I had something similar with the worms invasion in level 2. :) My dad stopped playing, I decided to stop with DM and resume CSB. Then I noticed the fatass dragon in CSB's basement. :shock:
After I completed CSB I decided to resume with DM, and noticed the worms are quite easy after all.
somemale
Novice

Post by somemale »

This game helped me and my older brother bond, and helped me make one of my best friends as well.

I love this game!
andyp3001
Novice

Post by andyp3001 »

Greetings. Quite simply, the Dungeon Master games are, and always will be, without equal. I am now 42 and have just found RTC and am tooling up a team for another crack at Chaos Strikes Back. This is 18 years (I think) after completing the originals on my Atari STE. It is incredible that people still rightfully rave about DM and CSB. They went beyond being just "games", as Tiggy kindly related to in his recollection. Who needs PS3's and all that fancy graphic-ability when a true gaming experience can be had for free if you know where to look on the net. Glad to be here! Now, on to "Supplies for the Quick". Let's go.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Welcome to the forums!
I am tooling up a team for another crack at Chaos Strikes Back.
Take a look at CSBwin, it is cracked ST open source version under windows.
Who needs PS3's and all that fancy graphic-ability when a true gaming experience can be had for free if you know where to look on the net.
In fact, I don`t like modern games - they have no climate IMHO. Graphic stuff wes never important for me. Maybe because I always prefered older games. Although I`m trying to improve graphics in my custom under CSBwin as much as I can!
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
andyp3001
Novice

Post by andyp3001 »

Thanks, Adamo. I have already started the CSB game again. I got it from Return To Chaos. Just got all the food and weapons from "Supplies for the Quick". Now I just need to chose my path. Think I'll go for Ku first. I remember that was the first path I took all that time ago, so here we go! I am not a "graphics" man either. The graphics have to match the gameplay if the game is to be an "experience", rather than something mediocre. Having started my gaming on the Sinclair Spectrum, I suppose I am biased toward the older games as well!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

KU is a fine choice as a first way. It is exhausting, but you gain a lot of experience and good items on KU. I usually take it first.

And I agree that DM and CSB are probably the best games ever created. I also agree with Adamo about modern games - with the exception of Resident Evil 4, of course. :wink:

Oh, and even though I already answered another thread of yours: Welcome to the forums andyp! :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I take Ku first too - I find it the easiest...Neta isn't too bad. Ros is okay, I think. Dain is eeeeeevil :P.
Apprentice

Post by Wishbone »

It's been awhile for me... wasn't it like..
Ku = strength
Ros = dexterity
Dain = wisdom
Neta = intelligence
...or something like that?

I believe I always did Ros first. I really liked what they did with the blinking teleports, and I quite enjoyed crashing those cursed knighs into a pit.
Ku was mostly second for me, but I had problems passing the vexirks.
I cant really remember dain and neta, except for the water elementals and the poison beasts. But I know that I didn't really like those two parts.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I find Neta the easiest and gives you lots of potions, Ku the most strightforward if you have good fighters and time - but the ...puppies....at the end....and the....dog-walkers...mean I prefer to have some bbefed up peoploe first
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

do you guys clean all 4 paths before DDD or do you complete some paths all the way to corbum alcove ?
i start with neta and ros, then ku but i used to carry 3 corbums when i start dain !
Last edited by linflas on Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The full path of Neta is easy and good for food and flasks, the first part fo Ku is good but the...puppies and puppy walkers..make the second part nasty
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I usually do them in this order: KU, ROS, NETA, DAIN. NETA is definitely the easiest, apart from the fireball corridor after the DDD, there are few problems.

To answer Linflas' question, I usually walk every path until I get the corbum. After that, I mostly go back to the Junction (or Supplies for the Quick to see if there are some new shiny items). An exception to this is KU, as I always visit Level 1 on KU in order to get the Dragon Fang.
andyp3001
Novice

Post by andyp3001 »

Many thanks for all the pointers, everyone. I never did actually visit every place in CSB. The way the game works at the start of each path doesn't help, but I am determined to sniff around every single corner of the dungeon, as I still remember there were places/doors I never crossed. Just wondering, is it actually possible to walk around the CSB dungeon forever (if you wish), without running out of food, water, or creatures to battle, while keeping hold of all 4 corbums to end the game if you wanted to? Just a question that popped into my head!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

It sort of is possible. There are monsters that regenerate, some of them are dragons so won't run out of food, and water is provided endlessly via fountains. It's the same as DM in that regard. Still, there is not much to do once you found all the corbums and cleared level 1, so it would probably be more fun to start over. :wink:
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

not much to do once you found all the corbums and cleared level 1
Look at the fastest solutions to the game.
Compare that with what you have to do
to win the 'Alternate Ending' in CSBwin.

You can win this game without seeing 80
percent of the dungeon. Maybe 90.