[Custom dungeon] Dru Tan's StoreHouse [RTC] [THE Materializer]

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
THE Materializer
Apprentice

[Custom dungeon] Dru Tan's StoreHouse [RTC] [THE Materializer]

Post by THE Materializer »

Version: 1 for RTC V0.41
Platform: RTC
Author: THE Materializer
Date published: 2007, December 29
Date last updated: 2008, March 6

Story:

Aim:

Notes:
I brought my "Dru Tan" dungeon to a close. I would like a couple of testers to let me know what you think of the dungeon.

One thing that bugs me about the dungeon, is the theme kind of goes down the tubes after the first couple of levels, you'll see what I mean. I did borrow an idea or two from DM2 and CSB, but I hope the rest of the dungeon will be judged as original. The game uses DMII graphics and music, and incorporates creatures and weapons from DM, DMII, and CSB.

Couple of bugs I already know about, that will be fixed asap:
- Tables dissapear when broken without leaving any planks.
- Potions found in the dungeon are DMII style, while potions created are DM style. This creates a problem in one area in particular, where you must use flasks/potions in alcoves to proceed. Be sure to try different flasks to get past that area. Enough flasks are provided so that you shouldn't get stuck there.

Download:
Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)
-+ THE ~ Materializer +-
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

hi
you should release your dungeon as a ".RTC" file, not txt !

about the potion problem : you must copy all the lines from "New Spells" subsection of DMII.txt.
THE Materializer
Apprentice

Do I just rename the .txt to .rtc, or is there some way of converting it? Sorry I'm sort of new to this, usually I just add this line to the config.txt:

COMPILE Modules\thematerializer.txt

So I figured txt would be okay to share. How do I get a .RTC?

About the spells, yeah I know how to change those, going to be fixing it soon.
-+ THE ~ Materializer +-
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well, just because everybody else here does not trust everybody else here and keeps secrets by not releasing the txt files but only the rtc ones, that doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be done that way. I'm glad for dungeons that come with the full txt file!
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Three cheers for "Open Source".

Everyone is welcome to approach the
game in the way that is best for
themselves.

My 5DMaze puzzle is open source
and so far nobody has given me an answer.

ConfluxIII could be open source and
it would only make the game slightly
easier and more fun because
it might solve those frustrations of feeling
'stuck' for long periods. IMHO!
THE Materializer
Apprentice

WARNING - if you've started playing this, make sure you DO NOT enter the "Wizard" section (don't pick up the FUL bomb). There is a dead end there (Zo spell isn't opening a door in there as it should, I must have set it up wrong. Also the door is at 100% strength and cannot be destroyed with other spells). Luckily I set up the map so you only need to complete the other three sections in order to pass the area.
-+ THE ~ Materializer +-
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

THE Materializer wrote:Do I just rename the .txt to .rtc, or is there some way of converting it?
The "COMPILE" command creates a "Modules\thematerializer.RTC" new file each time you run RTC. As Lunever said, if you don't want to keep secrets, you can release the txt file instead.
The RTC file is a "protected" archive of your dungeon that can contain also all new bitmaps or sounds you may have added. I prefer this filetype because everything is included in one unique file.

Off topic but maybe useful :
if you use command "TEST" instead of "COMPILE" in config.txt, the dungeon is loaded but there's no RTC file creation, which makes RTC run faster (especially if you have megs of new bitmaps and sounds)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

about the "open source" thing, i agree but Conflux is still hard even with the source ! :)
for my own dungeons, I would released a source version as a reward to people who have gone far enough into. I love giving hints ;)
THE Materializer
Apprentice

Has anyone taken a crack at the dungeon yet? What do you think?
-+ THE ~ Materializer +-
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Sorry, no, too busy with other stuff I'm afraid. I'm sure others will report back when they've had a play.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Same for me, busy with preparing for a math exam, sorry.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, the only reason I am not in to work this weekend is because I am taking today to receover fro ma cold, and will work sunday then hopefully be compus mentus enough to hold my own for the external audit monday!

The dungeon is sitting on my desktop ready to be played though :D
THE Materializer
Apprentice

Here is the newest version. I added a VI altar to the game, added some more items and fountains, added a few more clues to lead to hidden areas, matched the potions/flasks found in the game to the potions you create. Let me know what you think! (its in .RTC format this time)

http://files.filefront.com/themateriali ... einfo.html[/url]
-+ THE ~ Materializer +-
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Quickly played part of this tonight, have gotten as far as the skeleton key area and the four paths.

Can give some positive feedback later, just to point out some niggles incase you were tweaking just now - the second blood key can be placed in the original lock and shut the door again!

The sword path, if the wooden door is supposed to be choppable, doens't seem to work :( I went on to a different path, so didn't try alternate attacks with more strength, etc

Probably won't get back to this anytime soon, since the four paths seem quite involved. LIked what I played so far though, will try to write down something another time. Bed now!
THE Materializer
Apprentice

Yeah some of my breakable wood doors were too strong (40% bash/fire). Breakable but it takes way too long, especially that early in the game. I just reduced them to 20%. The fighter and wizard paths both contained the tough doors.

I just fixed the blood keyholes, set them to disable self. I might have to hunt through the level and fix the rest of them, several doors use the same keys and I doubt they're all set to disable self.

Gonna upload the updated version now on filefront.
-+ THE ~ Materializer +-
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I actually wanted to give this one a try right now, but unfortunately, the link doesn't seem to work for me, I only get to the startup page of filefront. Do I need an account there?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If my desktop was behaving itself (or rather the network/internet connection) i could upload the copy I had, sadly it isn't - if i can make it work later this evening i will put the link up!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sorry, I am sure I saved the newer version, but I can't quickly find it and my desktop dropped form the network again. Luckily, I uploaded the previous version I played with! :D

http://www.dmjump.net/thematerializer.RTC
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, wait, my previous link on the custom dungeon forum still works:

http://hosted.filefront.com/rg247/

Edit: :oops: infact the very first link on the thread!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Ah, so that's how Beo accumulated over 11K posts... :wink:
Just downloaded it and will try it out now! Thanks Beo.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Making lots of mistakes and talking about them extensively? You betcha!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Due to a bug with saved games in RTC, I won't play any dungeons until the problem is solved. But after my first 5 minutes, I do have some questions/obersvations:

- Anthony seems like a really overpowered character. Not only has he very good stats, but also a Cloak of Night and the VERY mighty Machete+! That weapon seems rather sick, +5 health and mana and being able to Chop and Melee with zero Experience as a fighter is a very strong weapon in the beginning of the game.
Also, Kadron seems almost strictly better than Traja stat-wise and has two flasks, making him a much more powerful character.
EDIT: Just found out that the Machete+ gives you levels like crazy, so that's why you can Melee straight from the start. As long as I don't have a level in a profession, nothing is displayed, but on the first level-up, I'm an artisan. Is this intentional?

- The game uses "CSB rules", meaning that a Reincarnated character's stats go down instead of up as in DM. Since the characters are rather weak and low-level, I think you might want to change that.

- It's a bit irritating that the dungeon is called Dru Tan's Storehouse according to this thread, but is named thematerializer.rtc and shows up as The Dwelling on the selection screen! I'd prefer the dungeon to use only one name in every instance.

- Props for the lighting effects! :)

As I said, I only played 5 minutes of it (until the door with the Blood Key), but I'm keen on continuing. Will post more when I play on.

(Yes, I know I could just play RTC v0.46. Actually, I might do that right now.)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It was perfectly stable for me under it, that's what I played under :D
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

The good news is that it works under v0.46.

The bad news is that unless I'm really stupid (which is perfectly possible), I found a dead end.
Spoiler
In the Priest Way, I encountered some alcoves with a scroll that told me "The tools of the priest will grant you further access." I eventually realized that I should place the items I found at some nearby priests in those alcoves. The fifth (and probably last) alcove won't accept any item I carry. I vaguely remember finding some bread with the priests, and being the careless guy that I am, I ate it and now have no more bread with me. I really hope I am just stupid and I do NOT need an item that can easily vanish from the game (via consuming). I also tried to backtrack and find a bread elsewhere, but I can't get out.
THE Materializer
Apprentice

It just needs a flask :D
-+ THE ~ Materializer +-
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

THE Materializer wrote:It just needs a flask :D
Then it doesn't work, because I've tried that (and double checked it before I posted this). :( Should I send you my savegame?
THE Materializer
Apprentice

Try a few different flasks.. unfortunately the earlier version of the level had mixed DMI/DMII flasks and potions, and the alcove was set to activate with DMII flasks. Problem is if you create a potion in that game with a DMII flask, it turns it into a DMI flask because I left the original spellset alone.

I have since updated the download, not sure if you are playing the uncorrected version or not. The new version has nothing but DMI flasks, and the alcove is activated by an empty DMI flask.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same alcove, I will list what activates each alcove.

**SPOILER BELOW**

Alcove 1 - Staff (DM2)

Alcove 2 - Magnifier

Alcove 3 - Corbamite

Alcove 4 - Ashes

Alcove 5 - Empty Flask (DMI)

The empty flask should open a wall in the northeast corner of the room, just north of the vat of green stuff. And a couatl will fly out and try to bite you. If that doesn't work, you could send me your savegame if you want, send it to omni1138@aim.com.
-+ THE ~ Materializer +-
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Thanks - turns out I had exactly one DM2 flask left. I'll continue playing then. :D
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Little review of your dungeon:

Gameplay: 8
It's all there, nice fights, puzzles with teleporters and floorpads, you name it. I especially liked the part with the four ways and that you could return to the beginning with all the shortcuts.

Originality: 6
There aren't many things we haven't seen before, but the basic idea of dungeoneers raiding Dru Tan's treasure is quite nice.

Difficulty: 6
Sometimes, there are places where you can get really stuck, and there are a few hard fights, but generally, it's not too difficult to advance.

Puzzles: 7
What was really cool was the Priest and Wizard ways with the different potions and spells being needed. The dungeon also sports the usual DM style puzzles.

Size: 6
At first, I thought the dungeon would be quite small, like 1-2 hours maybe, but I did need 4:45 hours to finish it. A medium-sized dungeon in essence.

Replayability: 4
I guess I could try different YA doors or seek more keys to them, but apart from very minor stuff, I don't think there is much reason to replay it.

Craft: 7
As I said, the part with the four ways was especially lovely, but also the part after that with numerous of opening walls was fun. It was also nice that there were so many shortcuts and circles which connected the later parts to the first parts. Luckily, there are not too many of them, so you shouldn't get lost on your way.
One minor point of criticism is that the Wizard path seems quite a lot harder than the other three. Also, several of the best items (Dexhelm, Machete+) are found very early on.

Game Ending: 5
Again, it's nothing we haven't seen before, but the way to it is quite nice. A little more info or text that you accomplished something would have been very nice, though.

Atmosphere: 7
The DM2 music and graphics are used to good effect. I especially liked the cave wallsets in select places.

Overall: 7
This dungeon was larger and more satisfying than I thought it would be. It's not revolutionary by any means, but a nice, medium-sized dungeon that will keep the player happy for a few hours. A pleasant surprise!

Best part:
The Priest path and the "dragon cave".

Worst part:
Sometimes, you need to find illusionary walls which are rather well-hidden to proceed.
THE Materializer
Apprentice

I'm very glad you liked it! :) I enjoyed reading your review, and it makes me want to start working on another dungeon.
-+ THE ~ Materializer +-