Actions on eye or mouth click?

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Actions on eye or mouth click?

Post by Gambit37 »

Is there a way of activating actions when the player clicks on a character's eye? Or mouth? Or on either of these while carrying an item?

I thought it was possible but have no idea how to do it.
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Also, can the results vary depending on class levels?

Such as a high-level ninja being able to discern more information about an item on eye-clicking it?

Maybe even having a Archmaster Ninja looking at a weapon, and "unlocking" a story about it's origins. Y'know, like an Easter Egg.
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

What you want is an action generated on clicking on the mouth, with the person being clicked on the activator

You can then filter this through a relay and other action items to make sure the level is correct, and the fabled weapon is in hand, before displaying information

Vice versa, clicking a magnifying glass in the eye will swap a scroll in the hand with tiny writing to readable writing scroll
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

beowuuf wrote:What you want is an action generated on clicking on the mouth
Yes, but there's currently nothing that intercepts those clicks so how how do you attach an action to them?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sorry, I meant that you want that as an addition, I don't know myself of that in the engine

Then again, I am sure somehow it was done and a [iece of complex mechanics in Dark Portal
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

The mechanics to do all of the above already exist.

Have a look at the CONVERT_CONSUME and CONVERT_EXAMINE properties of standard objects. They're activated when an item is clicked on the mouth / eye respectively.

You should be able to use these to do what you want, but if you need anything else, let me know.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh, sorry, I must have missed those! *doh* :oops:

EDIT: That's only when clicking with a held item though right? What if I want to do something with an empty mouse hand clicking the eye or mouth?

For example, holding a map in the right hand and clicking the eye could open a plot screen showing a full scale map (which is better than having the user click the map on the eye because you then can't interact with the plotscreen, and is more natural than creating a menu action).
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

OK, I finally found this stuff, but either I'm misunderstanding how these should work, or they simply don't work.

I cloned a scroll and a plotscreen. The scroll is set to perform ACTION_OBJECT_ACTIVATE on the plotscreen for the 'Examine' event. The plotscreen shows a full screen bitmap which waits for a mouse click. But it doesn't work: Nothing happens when I click the scroll on a characters eye, except for the usual action of a scroll which shows it's bitmap in the food area of the inventory.

I can get it to work if I create an attack method to open the plot screen, but I don't really want to have to click on a 'Read Map' option in an action menu when it makes more sense to click on the eye.

Can someone explain how to do this please? Or is it a bug?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Further testing seems to reveal lots of bugs with convert actions. I've posted them in the bugs section.