Dungeon Master Playstation 3 Trailer!

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
davedog
Novice

Dungeon Master Playstation 3 Trailer!

Post by davedog »

I've just spotted this on youtube - it looks amazing, I can't wait to get my hands on it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI93iXQTAc4
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I find it curious that there is no idea as to which company is behind the production...
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

unbelievable!
8) 8)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

uh ? :shock:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I posted the question on youtube. If it's a fan-made game then that's great, would be fun to see the 3D stuff done well. As long as it's not for profit of course!

If it's an official game (and actually the graphics and engine look terrible if it's something new and official) then weird no one attached to the rights has told Gambit or Christophe.

Unless someone has and they kept their mouths shut under promising not to reveal it before it was announced!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Bwaa haaa. Nice one, davedog!

People who post stuff like this with their first post are *always* trolls or spammers. This is definitely not official, it's just some fan made trailer done for fun, at best, and probably done by davedog himself.

A nice effort, but honestly, I can't believe any of you fell for it!

:)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Awwww, it seems so mean to assume the worst all the time, even if we are cynical over thirties now!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Sorry! I could be wrong of course, but you were all asking!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

that "Chopperkhan" guy makes little video animations and is probably another DM fan : nice sound ambiance btw.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

awwww, well could have been!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

BTW, was there slovakian version of DM ever released (there is nothing about it in DM Encyclopedia), or it`s just a fan-made? (take a look at the language used in game).
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=WtGx4izkpXE
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I never heard of a slovakian version of DM. Probably a fan made translation, like the spanish PC version on the encyclopaedia.
megar
Journeyman

Post by megar »

The trailer is incredibly great !

About the youtube slovakian version:
How does the guy travels down so quick ??
I mean, a second, it is at the "The vault" front door, and the next second he is in front of a wizard eye on level 6 ! I know there is no clip, but it is 4 level down !
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

First, can anyone confirm the 'noclip' aspect of that video? I didn't know that was possible.

Second, even if it is possible, bear in mind videos are EDITED. :)

Third, it really looks as if the dungeon was edited too as some features seem to be missing (such as some of the doors on level 7)
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I thought, "Bubba, hand me my nitro pills!"

Now, to the great sorrow of our times, some are discounting this as BOGUS?!?

Waaaaaaaahhhhhh! No fair! I'm taking my milk bottle home, where I can spend some "quality" time with myself. :D
"Wuuf's big brother"
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

'Noclip' (walking through walls) is described in the cheat called 'Champion looting' on http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/222
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Please give us the "scoop" if anyone finds out, for sure, whether 2009 will possibly bring in the PS3 DM.
I hope, I hope, I hope.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I doubt it. Notice how the original poster hasn't been back. That's classic troll behaviour. Anyway, even if it is true, that trailer isn't anywhere near good enough quality for a modern game. It's a nice piece of fan work, but definitely not a real game.
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

It really looks like a DCC mock-up by someone who needs a little more exp in their art package.
davedog
Novice

Post by davedog »

Hi everyone. Yeah true, this was my first post - but the video has nothing to do with me!

From what everyone is saying on here, it sounds as though its just a hoax though. Real shame. Was excited for a moment there! :cry:
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Hello Dave.

Regarding the trailer...

My soul is exceedingly wretched, as it topped the roller coaster of passion
in its preparation for a brilliant "comeback" for DM, only to be "crushed"
with the fatal concept of reality. :shock:

Yeeech! Did I really post that blather? :roll:

(Just trying to get to the next level :twisted: )
"Wuuf's big brother"
andyp3001
Novice

Post by andyp3001 »

Even if the video is a hoax (the non olde-worlde title "Chaos Theory" is a bit of a giveaway), wouldn't it be amazing if someone actually realised the game's potential and went and produced that game for the PS3/X-Box/PC? Remember when folks went out and purchased Atari ST's just to play Dungeon Master? I did.

I do not own a PS3, but if this game ever came out, and to great reviews, I would buy a PS3 just to play it. History repeating itself you could say.

Sony, get your best game-brains together and get this game made. It would sell more than just the game-package itself! PS3's would fly off the shelf for ex-Dungeon Masters who don't own them.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I seriously doubt your optimism andy. 90% of today's gamers have never heard of a game called Dungeon Master, and those who would actually bother to look it up would probably laugh at the simplicity and ugly graphics of the original DM, thus not being interested in a new game.

Furthermore, I don't think a good commercial remake is even possible. DM was vital to the development of games back in the late 80s, but seriously, how much innovation can you expect today? Especially in a dungeon crawler? Such a huge jump in intuitive interface and complexity is probably not possible anymore, games have just evolved too much.

Not to mention the possibility of people actually noticing this site and demanding that we take all the clones, tools and custom dungeons offline...
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

You guys just "keep" driving nails into my toenails. :shock:

And here I was all excited about living in denial for a few weeks. :cry:

Oh well, I suppose I'm a big boy.

As Doctor Smith would say (old Lost in Space)...

The pain. The PAIN! :wink:
"Wuuf's big brother"
andyp3001
Novice

Post by andyp3001 »

Trantor wrote:I seriously doubt your optimism andy. 90% of today's gamers have never heard of a game called Dungeon Master, and those who would actually bother to look it up would probably laugh at the simplicity and ugly graphics of the original DM, thus not being interested in a new game.

Furthermore, I don't think a good commercial remake is even possible. DM was vital to the development of games back in the late 80s, but seriously, how much innovation can you expect today? Especially in a dungeon crawler? Such a huge jump in intuitive interface and complexity is probably not possible anymore, games have just evolved too much.

Not to mention the possibility of people actually noticing this site and demanding that we take all the clones, tools and custom dungeons offline...
After further thought I think are are right, Trantor. Perhaps I am thinking back to the days of Dungeon Master when games machines were still evolving and this game came along and turned everyday gaming on its head. I'm just glad I was there to experience it. A pity there was no general internet around then for forums like this to rant on about such a phenomonal game. The Dungeon Master "thing" would be lost on the current games generation (no disrespect intended). Nowadays it seems to be graphics, graphics, graphics. As I mentioned in the "chat", I have forgotten most of Dungeon Master from the ST days of years ago. Having done CSB again after a gap of 19 years, (why did I go and do that one first?) it is time to go back to DM. Perhaps its the nostalgia thing! Either way, there will never be another Dungeon Master. The fact there are forums (it is one of the first things I searched for when getting on the 'net 2.5 years ago) about the game and its clones shows the longevity of such a concept. Nothing will come close again. Or do I just want my youth back?! Here's wishing for days gone by!..........
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

looks as if it was made with the quake1/2-engine...
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Love that COD (cloak of darkness). :P

I wish whoever it was would just keep on until he had the entire game revamped, updated, revised, and full of new traps, etc.

I know, I know... movie clip, rather than game engine.

Still, I can dream can't I? 8)
"Wuuf's big brother"
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

looks as if it was made with the quake1/2-engine...
I watched this again...it was definitely an art package mock-up.

Camera:
1) Pan-Zoom effect (first dungeon scene)
2) Motion is not constant velocity (moving is not via keyboard)
3) No 'mouse pick-up' breaks in rotation. (not using mouse for look)
4) Camera zooms
5) Perfect 'look-at' positions while the camera is panning and rotating.
6) The camera's height is animated.

Some of these would be possible with a joystick and lots of practice...but all together it's just not plausible.

Additonally:
number of spells cast: 0
number of combat scenes: 0
number of items: 2 (torch & key)
number of monsters: 1 (built out of basic primitives)
nothing that looks like a UI (or a game)

deep cracks in blocks: Lots of (useless) geometery or a modern occulsion mapping tech...but the graphics sucks. Likewise for the grate scene...reasonable looking, multi-light source soft-shadows. Graphics don't compute.

Also, the scene with the key. What's that all about? If you have a key in hand and come withing some distance of its assoicated lock, the game auto-takes it?? Or if you happen to 'throw' within that distance?? Oh, you might try coding that, but would quickly realize that there's no 'fun-factor' in it.

result = Art package + not-so-good-artist.
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

That would actually be a bad business move. The only reason to do so would be to protect the IP rights from a legal system standpoint. The better move would be to provide some restrictive non-commercial license agreement for usage of assets from the original games. Nothing here would 'cut-into' an income stream of a modern game. A reasonable marketing person would attempt to 'use' this community to generate online buzz. Word-of-mouth is one of the most important things for sells...and it's something you can't buy. So the smart move would be to attempt to build some excitement here, even though the community is small.

However, they would most likely want this domain-name. And having said the previous...company's often do stupid stuff.

I would do the following:
1) Contact the owner of the domain and say, "Hey I own the DM license...Could you please place a prominent link to the official site?"
2) Provide members access to the BETA program and encourage feed-back.
3) Have the game designers join this forum and 'chat-up' the new game.

How would most of you feel about that? Perhaps talk about it in any other forums you visit?

Conversely, how would you react if I fought to get this domain and demanded all "infringing" material be removed. Oh, you'd talk just a much...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

OK, this is an interesting discussion and as it mostly constitutes input from newbies to the forum, I feel I should clarify some things that you might not know about. Many of us have been here for over 7 years and have had similar discussions before:

FACT: I know some members of FTL through interviews I undertook many years ago.
FACT: These members of FTL know about our community and have even taken part in it from time to time
FACT: The clones, tools and websites developed by our community are known about by ex-FTL. They allow us to continue with them as long as their original copyright is recognised and that we don't make claim to any of their original work.
FACT: The DM copyright is still owned by Wayne Holder and any future projects using the DM trademark or IP would have to be sanctioned by him
FACT: Wayne has ZERO interest in doing anything with this IP these days

Now, unless anyone can persuade Wayne to change his mind, (which is even less likely than seeing a tap-dancing sperm whale travelling on the top deck of an open-top bus while whistling "If it ain't got that swing" and eating nachos) -- no new Dungeon Master game will ever happen.

Sorry, but that is the situation.

Many thanks to Roquen for posting a good analysis of the video too. It was clear to me that it was just a mockup, but it's great to have a detailed view of how we came to that conclusion.