Any Aquarists Here?

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
MitchB1990
Artisan

Any Aquarists Here?

Post by MitchB1990 »

I was wondering who here seriously takes care of any aquariums? I Personally have two one 15 Gallon and one 20 gallon tank. If so what species of fish and what setup you are keeping? Both of my setups are Non - Brackish Freshwater.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Joined 27 Feb 2005 as Dark.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I don't keep fish at all, but wouldn't the plural of "aquarium" be "aquaria"? Or possibly even "aquarii"...I'm not actually sure whether the word is of Greek or Latin origin. Hrmm, I should look that up at some point...

Sorry, carry on... ;)
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Maybe it's "aquantana".

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define. ... &dict=CALD

Sorry... I used to have one, but had to cancel it, I had no time to care of it.

But it's a very nice hobby! You're a lucky man, Mitch!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

One of the guys at work here keeps tropical fish - it seems to be such hard work!
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

I used to have one, but very unspectacular and so it ended in the cellar. I might buy a salt water aquarium one day, surely a lot of work and expensive setup, but really nice fishes in exchange.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

well, my mom has 2 of these (aquantana's/aquariums).. she gives them to my niece.
now> how would you best move place with these ?

I guess setting up a third one at the place where you move them to would be the best solution and then switching them..by putting the fish into a glas bowl(zak mckracken ;) ) or even better some plastic bag..
thanks for the answers in advance , just want to make sure (really!) that all survive the trip...(20 mins by car)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

If you're gonna move the fish, make sure you don't dump all the old water and fill the new tank(s) (as well as whatever you're transporting them in) with new water - use at least some of the old as the temperature will be right and also it'll have all the whatever in it that the fish are used to...you know, bits of algae, bacteria, whatever...
I know pretty much sod all about fish but I remembr that much from college ;).
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I don't like fish. They give almost no emotional satisfaction when alive, yet it still makes me sad when they die. As a pet, they are a net negative.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

thanks ameena. better keep some of their water!!
hmm. Fish is something that could be an eyecatcher in a living room or a restaurant. But it tends to be more work than anything else, that's true. Yet it is astonishing how fish behaves. I am grateful that I had the opportunity to witness fish. After all they are living beings and thus (some subtle some not obvious some not at all) have their own "character" (by that I mean they eat and ... well swim around - or don't move). But I would not go and get some.
Anotherthing is that these fish eat all and every plant you put into the aquarium. I would suggest to have one aquarium just for growing plants, else it is too expensive and somehow sad if the fish live without plants in the thing.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I think fish are quite restful to watch but I don't think I could ever keep an aquarium -- way too much work!

An Iguana on the other hand -- now that's a good pet. Just throw apricots at it.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Gambit37 wrote: An Iguana on the other hand -- now that's a good pet. Just throw apricots at it.
..which leads us to naming them. Without a name "petvalue" is only 1/2 ! btw, my grandma calls the cat "CAT" which is somehow fitting.