DM: disk archival?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Spirantho
Neophyte

DM: disk archival?

Post by Spirantho »

Hi,
first off, Hi. :) Been playing DM off-and-on for years, just thought I'd join this merry forum as you may be able to help (and you all seem like-minded chaps/chapettes).

I dug out my copy of DM (v2.1) and my Amiga 500 to play it on today. It all worked, except that whenever I tried to save it said "disk not readable". I can think of no earthly reason why (several disks said the same), except maybe the disk is bad. In fact, the disk is bad, but loads ok (it seems). Bizarrely, my A1200 works with OS3.1, whereas the Amiga 500 with 1.3 doesn't.

Anyhoo, this brings me on to a question.
Is there anywhere to download the images of all the different versions? The tricky thing, of course, is that they will not run because the game uses a fuzzy block in its copy-proteciion - so any abandonware sites won't have <3.6 versions, as they won't work. What I want is the rest of the disk - after all, the fuzzy block isn't going to stop working because of the very nature of it, viz. a block that's not magnetised properly. The images would only be of use to someone wanting to repair their DM disk. Someone like me. :)

I have an interest in archival of old games, and I think it's important that a game of the stature of DM should be archived in all iis versions, especially as this will enable people to restore their own original disks.

Can anyone help?

Ian Gledhill
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: DM: disk archival?

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forums!

Have you had a chance to look at the Dm Encyclopaedia yet? It's pretty comprehensive, though always looking for odds and ends. The download section seems to have the 2.X versions of the game.

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/627

Hopefully that's what you are looking for!
Spirantho
Neophyte

Post by Spirantho »

That's fantastic! Seems like everything I need is on there. Strange this is I looked all over that site and couldn't find the downloads for it. Must be blind. :)

I noticed that my DM runs on my A1200 because the 1200 does disk changes, and the A500 and A600 didn't. Which is weird because the A500 and A600 both work fine (including disk change notification). Because DM didn't check for disk changes, it got confused and didn't seek to the right track, giving a "disk is unreadable" error. Absolutely bonkers that a game from 1988 should run on a machine 4 years in its future and not on a current machine. Going to experiment a bit more... maybe my 1200 can read the disk slightly better and it's loading it correctly, where the A500 isn't. Going to try with the image on the database and see what happens.

I have now sent my merry band of adventurers down into the dungeons, led by the Team Leader Wuuf, and Stamm up front, with Tiggy and Elija bringing up the rear. It's a very odd looking party with a dwarf, a ...er - what is Tiggy anyway? OK, a dwarf, a "person of restricted growth", a dog and a very hairy bloke going for glory. Almost makes me wish we could see the party in the dungeon.

So far they've successfully mapped out level 1 and most of level 2, and they're not dead yet. Wuuf and Elija are both neophyte wizards because of the amount of FUL spells they're casting, the rest are just newbies so far.

Onward and downward, dear friends.....!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Good luck with your diverse, "United colours of Benetton", ethnically, politically, racially, socially, economically, culturally and gender-balanced party! Well, Wuuf in the front line is a bit... daring? Anyway, keep us informed on your progress! :D

And welcome to the forums. :)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Spirantho
Neophyte

Post by Spirantho »

Daring? Suicide more like.

I just love the idea of having a mad dwarf and his ninja attack dog scything through screamers, with Elija babbling crazy talk under his beard and Tiggy hiding (mostly unsuccessfully) behind a dwarf and his pet mutt.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, do I recall that newer DM versions are 1Mb games? So an A500 without additional memory can't run it? Been too long since I played my native amiga DM disks!
Spirantho
Neophyte

Post by Spirantho »

I think DM was always 1MB on the Amiga. 512K on the ST, 1MB on the Amiga. Could be wrong though.
I actually tried with two different memory expansions just in case. And the A600 is 1MB by default of course (though mine has 2MB).

Luckily because I run a retro-computer/game shop I have plenty of machines and hardware to run it on. :) I'm actually thinking of making a "Dungeon Master Pack" with an A500, 1MB expansion, Dungeon Master and CSB. Just for DM addicts so they can just buy one lot and have a ready-made guaranteed DM system!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, DM was always 1MB on the Amiga. And was far superior than the ST version ;-) *waits for the jibes* .... *and runs*
Spirantho
Neophyte

Post by Spirantho »

I did actually wonder whether to play the ST version instead given the trouble I had getting it running on my A500, but I decided not to because DM without 3D sound is just not the same. Plus I wanted the full nostalgia only an A500 can provide (to me).

Anyway, of course it's better than the ST version - the Amiga version of a game is always better than the ST version. :)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Now you've done it! :)
Gambit37 wrote:*and runs*
*catches him*

*slaps him behind his ear*

And now you're going to write a hundred times "Atari is superior to Amiga"!
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Spirantho wrote:I run a retro-computer/game shop
Wow, nice job to have! :D
Spirantho wrote:the Amiga version of a game is always better than the ST version
Just when I thought we could be friends. *shakes head*
Spirantho
Neophyte

Post by Spirantho »

Don't worry, you'll learn one day. Then you too can become one of the wise instead of the Great Unwashed (Atari) users. :P

Gawd, it's like it's 1988 all over again.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Indeed. We're living in our own little retro-time warp ;-) Glad to have you on board :-)