Webiquette

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Webiquette

Post by Gambit37 »

I've just been told to "go f*ck yourself you pompous twat" by the webmaster of a popular fan site for the Oz pop princess, Kylie. Yes, I am a clost Kylie worshipper.....

Anyway, I sent them an email complaining about the fact that they've disabled right-click, and gave them some good URLs that discuss why doing so is a bad idea.

OK, so this is a fansite, and I guess the people running it don't make any money, and are probably spotty 15 year olds. But I still don't expect to be treated like that, especially when offering constructive criticism.

Has anyone a view on this kind of thing, or experienced anything similar? Just curious to see if other fansites are run by similiar people. If so, I really don't get it; why invest all that time into something only to insult the people you built the site for in the first place? I really don't understand some people...
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Yeah, I've found that people who hate what someone else is doing will often make their own site. Or if they have something unique to offer they do so as well.

It's much the same with us, only difference? We're obviously not spotty 15 year olds.. and wouldn't likley be unless we were about 5 or so when we first played DM.

Anyway, my feelings are you can't turn shit into gold unless you want to spend a horribly large amount of time, effort and money. (both figureatively and litteraly as you could get an atom chamber made and bombard the shit molecules untill the change)

Just ask yourself if this site is really the be all and end all of what you want to see and know. If it's really important then use some bron nosing and diplomacy to get some changes. Offer to fix them yourself and help out. If it isn't.. then screw the guy and move on to something better.

just my two cents.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Agreed. I've already deleted the bookmark and won't go back there. Shame, 'cos she has a lovely little bum.... oh well, plenty of others out there! :)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

who.. the site owner?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Naaah, Kylie of course! :D
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I agree with you Gambit that blocking right click is not "good".
To workaround this problem, you can temporarily disable javascript.
I use Crazy Browser as a web browser, and it has a nice menu option to "disable script". With IE you can also do it but this is more complicated.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

How do you do this in IE?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

In IE, go to the Tools / Options menu.
Go to the "Security" tab.
Select the "Internet" zone, and click "Custom Level".
Scroll down to the "Scripting" section and disable "Active Scripting".
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I must admit, I've never got that to work properly in IE. When I've tested that during development it still does all the javascript effects anyway... anyone else found this?
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Maybe when you tested this during development you did it from local pages on your hard drive. I guess in that case the setting should be changed in the "Local Intranet" security zone, not the "Internet" zone.
But I have not tested this myself...