(fixed) Bug report

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Joramun
Mon Master

(fixed) Bug report

Post by Joramun »

I'm playing (v.37b) on a sample dungeon (a RTSBacked dungeon)

Bug:
- When mana is actually 0 the value displayed on screen is 1.

Potent bug
- Mummy don't seem to suffer fear (warcried like 100x with apprentice priest), making some riddles impossible to solve

Not bug:
- on a purely subjective basis, I still think hand-to-hand combat doesn't do as much damage as in vanilla DM/CSB
(or maybe it's based on my Conflux impression, i'm not sure)

In any case, DSB is MUCH tougher than vanilla DM/CSB or RTC for a given dungeon, because of the AI.
What Is Your Quest ?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: Bug report

Post by Sophia »

Joramun wrote:When mana is actually 0 the value displayed on screen is 1.
This bug appears because DSB's stats are all 10x internally, so when your health is above 0 (1 to 9), but displayed as 0, it also looks very odd. I've resolved the issue by adding a little hack so that the "fix" only applies to health and stamina, and not mana.
Joramun wrote:Mummy don't seem to suffer fear (warcried like 100x with apprentice priest), making some riddles impossible to solve
I was able to warcry a mummy fine using the craftsman priest in the test_dungeon. In the process of doing this testing, though, I did uncover another bug: the DSB formula was treating no priest levels as a skill of 0, where DM treats it as 1. This means you were effectively one level lower in DSB than you are in DM, making fear harder across the board. I've corrected this.
Joramun wrote:Not bug:
- on a purely subjective basis, I still think hand-to-hand combat doesn't do as much damage as in vanilla DM/CSB
(or maybe it's based on my Conflux impression, i'm not sure)
There was a bug in ESB where the max luck of anyone in an ESB-output dungeon would always get stored as 0. This could have a subtle, detrimental effect. Otherwise I think DSB is quite close to DM's formulas, so I'll fix this and perhaps the problem will seem to go away. :)
Joramun wrote:In any case, DSB is MUCH tougher than vanilla DM/CSB or RTC for a given dungeon, because of the AI.
I don't really see this as a problem. Maybe you weren't reporting it as one, really, either. I'd prefer to take it as a compliment. :mrgreen:
Us old-time DM players need fear put back into us. ;)
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

I suppose 0 luck & -1 level in priest is bad enough to destroy the riddle.
Sophia wrote:
Joramun wrote:In any case, DSB is MUCH tougher than vanilla DM/CSB or RTC for a given dungeon, because of the AI.
I don't really see this as a problem. Maybe you weren't reporting it as one, really, either. I'd prefer to take it as a compliment. :mrgreen:
Us old-time DM players need fear put back into us. ;)
Indeed, it wasn't a bug report. It is good.

Sidenote:

Would it be very complicated to turn back health value from 10x to "normal" ?
I can easily repair DM and CSB (I will make a new issue anyway) to include that,
and I don't see how this particular feature is useful, plus it adds a lot of internal mess to adjust damage etc.
What Is Your Quest ?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Joramun wrote:Would it be very complicated to turn back health value from 10x to "normal" ?
I can easily repair DM and CSB (I will make a new issue anyway) to include that,
and I don't see how this particular feature is useful, plus it adds a lot of internal mess to adjust damage etc.
For health, I'll admit, it's a bit more about being consistent than being useful. Obviously, stamina needs to be 10x because even DM did it that way, and having other stats 10x (like strength, dexterity, etc.) helps a lot in giving a smoother, fairer level up curve. For example, instead of giving 0 or 1 vitality on a level up, DSB gives 4 to 10, so your stat will always rise eventually. The regeneration code uses similar smoothing (where DM would restore 0-2 hp, DSB restores 5-15 internal hp) but it's not strictly necessary.

I kind of disagree with your assertion that it "adds a lot of internal mess," because it's just a simple multiplication that can be done at the very end. That's how do_damage does it, anyway.
Joramun
Mon Master

Re: (fixed) Bug report

Post by Joramun »

Hehe, I had forgotten about those details. I agree with you.
What Is Your Quest ?