So, tell us about yourself...

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
NaughtyMoose
Neophyte

Re: So, tell us about yourself...

Post by NaughtyMoose »

oh_brother wrote:Welcome to the forums, you naughty moose! (Is that name by any chance an obscure reference to Fawlty Towers?)
Thank you ;)
Yes, it is. In fact my wife always called me Moose, then we saw that Fawlty Towers episod and since then it's NaughtyMoose :D FT always made me laugh and that particular episod even more.
oh_brother wrote:Weiss and Hickman - I am also a big fan. Well, I have not read anything for ages, but the first trilogy and the twins trilogy were possibly my favourite fantasy books. I quite like Gemmel's stuff too.
I've just finished to read the first trilogy and i loved it so much that i think it's now my favourite fantasy story as well :)
As just as i'll be done with RA Salvatore, i'll read the twins trilogy (i already bought it).
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Greetings NaughtyMoose! You've probably got an even 'bigger' British sense of humour than me :)
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Hello and welcome, Naughty Moose! You said were searching for the best way to run DM on PC. There are at least 4 ways to do this. But the best way is to get CSBwin (from DM encyclopedia site), which is original DM/CSB Atari ST engine recompliled under windows. Unfortunately, in CSB you don`t have a magic map, as it was on Amiga version. There are also dozens of custom dungeons, made by people from this forum, if you`re bored of playing original ones!!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Hello, Moose, and welcome to the forums! :P

(I thought your name had something to do with that moose in Monty Python's Holy Grail)
NaughtyMoose wrote:Beside that, i'm a huge fan of fantasy and sci-fi. I like to write fantasy stories, to read fantasy (Tad Williams, Robin Hobb, Weiss&Hickman, Gemmel,...)
Heh, me too! Actually, my brother collects Gemmel's books, he has a whole book-shelf of his novels, and these days, I very often read them, just to relax, in a train, in a bed, etc. It's slightly "simple" and repetitive, but I like it, it really helps me to calm down and relax. :)
NaughtyMoose wrote:i must admit that i'm not too much a fan of the cartoonish style that seems to spread all over the PRG world (...) i prefer DM look over a World of W(alt Disney)arcraft
I absolutely agree with you in this point. :D
NaughtyMoose wrote:to escape as much as we can with fantasy, games and sci-fi. I'm also interested in jazz, astronomy
*Jan nods in agreement*
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forums Moose!

To you (and OB) I'd mention Weis & Hickman's Prophet and the Rose trilogy, and the seven book deathgate cycle as books I really like way back when. The core dragonlance books are great, though I must admit the newer chaos/5th age never hooked me so I did not keep up with the series as it continued on.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Hello NM. I have never even heard of Fawlty Towers.
I checked it out on Utube. Great stuff.

Welcome to the forums.

C64? Commodore 64?
My first colored monitor was for my Atari 1040.

Soon after that, the C64 was closing out in the local K-Mart
and they had one C64 monitor left, so I purchased it to be used with a VCR.

Where am I going to find the time to read all these interesting books mentioned?

Oh well, I hope you enjoy getting back into DM as much as I. :)
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hey, welcome Moose :D. I immediately gussed your reference too - I hope you don't go round hitting people on the head ;).
I like DragonLance too - kender are fantastic :D. In fact, I would say my three favourite Krynnish races (apart from dragons) are the ones which form the title of one of the anthology books - I imagine you can guess which one as I've already given a third of the answer ;).
So, do you have any interesting/weird/funny/embarrassing/cool stories to share with us about your DM-gaming days? :D
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Kender, Gully Dwarves, and Gnomes I would have to guess :) I think one of my favourite short stories was the one about the 'tenth' companion, bitching about what really happened.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh yes, the gnome...if I remember rightly, isn't he writing it down whilst his room slowly fills with water becuase of a leak no-one's got round to fixing yet (probably because it's been referred to committee or something ;)), or am I getting confused with another gnome story? I think the "gnome companion" one is called "Into the Heart of the Story", a line from the original poem ("Canticle of the Dragon"? Or am I getting confused there as well) describing the Heroes of the Lance.
I tend to like anything that's got a kender in it...like the one about one called errm Mapmaker somethingorother (Finderkeeper or something, maybe?) who breaks into...err sorry, gets into a house bthat happens to belong to someone else, and yoinks a little dragon statuette and ends up getting a bit more than he expected ;).
Usually anything involving Tas is great too - he was always my favourite of the original group :D.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That's the one
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Welcome to the forums Moose! I hope you enjoy your stay here and play lots and lots of great custom dungeons! :D
NaughtyMoose
Neophyte

Post by NaughtyMoose »

Adamo wrote:There are at least 4 ways to do this. But the best way is to get CSBwin (from DM encyclopedia site)
Thanks for the info... CSB is so smooth, i've just spent all my saturday night on it and i can't wait to try the custom dungeons ^_-
beowuuf wrote:To you (and OB) I'd mention Weis & Hickman's Prophet and the Rose trilogy, and the seven book deathgate cycle as books I really like way back when.
Woah, more great books to read :)
For the loss of quality later in the serie, I had the same experience with the "Farsee trilogy" of Robin Hobb. The first cycle was so great, then it juts becomes boring...
Ameena wrote:I hope you don't go round hitting people on the head ;)
Sometimes, it's just stronger than me :p
Ameena wrote:kender are fantastic :D. In fact, I would say my three favourite Krynnish races (apart from dragons) are the ones which form the title of one of the anthology books - I imagine you can guess which one as I've already given a third of the answer ;).
I love Kenders too :) And i adore the old magician (who happens to be P...... - no spoiler :) ) Beowuuf has been faster than me for the 3 races: Kender, Gully Dwarves, and Gnomes. :)
Ameena wrote:So, do you have any interesting/weird/funny/embarrassing/cool stories to share with us about your DM-gaming days? :D
Not really embarrassing but i remember that sometimes, when i had been playing DM late at night and i was going downstairs to the kitchen to eat something, i was a bit scared to open the doors, wondering what i would find behind... And one night, it was very late, i opened the door of the basement to get more milk, i've been so scared that i yelled. My mum couldn't sleep and she was there, smoking a cigaret. Man, she got scared too :)
Trantor wrote:I hope you enjoy your stay here and play lots and lots of great custom dungeons! :D
I'm looking forward to it :) I'm just replaying once the normal DM, just to get back into the ambiance, then i'll jump on all the custom levels i can find :D

TO ALL:

Thank you very much for the warm welcome :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm a bit late to this party, but welcome NaugtyMoose, I hope you enjoy your stay.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe, no worries about spoiling the DL plot for me - I've read the Chronicles trilogy several times now, and plenty of other DL books besides. You could have just called him "Fizban", that being how he introduces himself ;).
Anyway, yes, have much fun in DM and CSB, and then in all the zillions of custom dungeons that have popped up over the years - if you want a challenge of a challenge that's even more challenging than a really challenging challenge, try Conflux ;).
Journeyman

Post by Beastman666 »

luker recently registered and now offically says hello @ all.

some months aao nostalgia came over me and i found dungeon-master.com and quite like it :-)

as a long time roleplayer (some 20+ years) (pen & paper and crpg) i had that funny feeling when i rediscovered my old d&d red box. to my mind immediately came the eye of the behoder series which led to dungeons of avalon, dungeon master, and all the other games i enjoyed in "my youth". I even remembered how i tried to make a clone of EOB/DM in 1996 in delphi ("visual pascal" for those not knowing). unfortunately the source-code was stored on a home-server a friend of mine had at that time and that server had a crash and all was lost. i never got back to rewriting the game. currently i'm playing dragon age: origins on computer and pathfinder rpg legacy of fire is starting soon where i dm my weekly gaming group.

CU all, Chris
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Noticed you posting further down, officially welcome to the forums! :D

Odd you did EOTB then DM, DM must have seemed a downgrade in some ways since the graphics and less complex stat/spell system was in place!

Relatively recently I statrted a DM D&D game as a PbP here, although it leans heavily into the 3.5 ed D&D. One of the regulars has just this week started trying to document a more comprehensive cross-over of the d20/3.5 system to the DM game...though pathfinder might be a more natural step to do towards.

Anyway, welcome again!
Beastman666
Journeyman

Post by Beastman666 »

Thanx for welcoming me. Years ago i started with DM and then played EOB (naturally) - oh did I forget to mention Balck Crypt (?). Today, these games are out-dated(grafic-wise), but I love them and can live with such lousy pictures ;-) - although it would be nice to have more modern version (one of the reasons i followed the clone development).

To be honest, I can't stand the "so called-modern-action oriented-single charcater-over the shoulder view-RPGs" like two-worlds, risen or gothic. Baldur's Gate series and Planescape Torment were the last great RPG, although Dragon Age is definately very good.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi Beastman, welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your stay. Just a quick tip: don't Quote the complete post when it's the last one in the list that you're replying to, it's unnecessary. I removed the quoted part from your post since it was a copy of what Beowuuf had just said. Many thanks ;-)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hey, welcome Beasty ;). I'm playing Dragon Age too atm - it's very cool, I think :D.
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Another hearty welcome from me! Enjoy your stay here! :D
Nomead
Neophyte

Post by Nomead »

18 year old student who loves dungeon crawlers. i've played DM.dm2.csb. eye of the beholder, anvil of dawn etc etc. i came to this forum when i was looking for a playable version for theese old classics. my favourite pass time is puzzle solving , stratigies and bug finding. and one day i will be the master of the universe.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Good luck in your endeavours (including that master of the universe thing) and welcome to the forums! Hope you found enough playable versions - also EOTB has a RTC dungeons remake!
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Welcome Nomead and Beastman666!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Whee! Another new member! Welcome Nomead, and enjoy your time here!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Welcome to the forums, Nomead!
Nomead wrote:one day i will be the master of the universe.
Hey, I thought I was supposed to be the master of the universe! One day!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Somewhere, out there, there are millions of master of the universe - they just haven't bumped into each other yet.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

True. He-Man, Man-at-Arms, Orko, She-Ra, Nomead, Jan...the list is growing.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Let's start a cosmocuriocracy !
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

What? Revolution?

Hate it when the dwarves go riot.

...always have to look for new ones then.
:twisted:
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

As Jerome Klapka Jerome wrote, there cannot be a revolution in Germany, because it would be forbidden, because it is illegal! :)