DSB on Linux

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
farvardin
Novice

DSB on Linux

Post by farvardin »

How difficult would it be to port DSB on Linux? Is the source code available?

I've tested it using wine, it looked very nice and faithful to the original.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: DBS on Linux

Post by Sophia »

farvardin wrote:How difficult would it be to port DSB on Linux?
Moderately. A lot if it is written in Allegro, which is in theory cross-platform, but I'm not sure how many of the methods I'm using at the moment aren't Windows-specific. There are Windows API calls all over the place, too, but generally for minor things-- except the timing code. Though, to be honest, the timing code in DSB is a complete mess and should probably be rewritten using semaphores. ESB is probably not portable without a ridiculous amount of work because it's very much based on the Windows API.
farvardin wrote:Is the source code available?
It's not "secret" or anything, but there isn't a public download link, mostly because if I did that I would feel some responsibility to release a version that actually builds on someone's system other than my own, and I'm not sure how likely that is. That, and that way and nobody sees the horrible mess that most of the engine code is. :P
farvardin wrote:I've tested it using wine, it looked very nice and faithful to the original.
Thanks. I'm glad. :D