why DSB ?

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Pietrus
Novice

why DSB ?

Post by Pietrus »

it exist CSBwin, RTC

why dsb ?

I played DM on atari ST

so I prefer the gameplay of CSBwin than the RTC one. CSBwin is more difficult than RTC. Like it was in the original game but graphism and sound are increased in RTC.

what about DSB ? is it a melting pot about these two games ?

the realism and the script of the authentic DM game with sound and graphism improved ?

thx

Pietrus
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: why DSB ?

Post by beowuuf »

Why not? These are all fan projects, where a person wants to learn coding, or mess around making a game based on something existing.

DSB is based on lua, so it is a much more scriptable language. That probably is its biggest selling point. In that way, it combined the flexibility in mechanics that CSBwin allows through DSAs with the expandability inherent in RTC.

Note that Bit has a clone that is like CSBwin too, and also DM Java existed before any of these clones reached fruition (whcih is like RTC)/
Pietrus
Novice

Post by Pietrus »

in fact - I'am only a player - and I would like to choose the "good game" in goal to keep my characters from donjon to donjon

if DSB original Donjons (dm and csb) are so closest from the original gameplay than csbwin is - and if in DSB few bugs of the original DM are corrected and graphic and sound improved - it will be my choice for a new adventure.

I finished realy easy DM in RTC - difficulty decreased a lot in regards of the original one - i am a bit disapointed
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

CSBwin is taken directly from the atari code, and is therefore the most faithful.

DSB is partially taken from the code, but also has had some liberties required for translation, so is one step removed.

RTC was all done by 'feel' with some numbers later corroborated. It should be no easier than the original gam,e (infact, harder because of the way some spells work and the monsters splitting up/attack properties) It also has the ability to increase the difficulty in the config file.

Note that none of the clones listed use improved graphics, they just have the potential to have improved graphics for custom dungeons.

DM Java has just been re-released to be compatible with newwer versions of Java. It, too, has a difficulty slider and it does have improved graphics for the dungeon. However, it only comes with the original DM dungeon for now (and it's own new dungeon)

Hope that helps
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

As a programmer and a tinkerer the whole DSB thing makes my furry balls tingle.

As a player I care more for the dungeoneer's ideas, tricks or story in a dungeon than the actual game engine itself.
Hajo
Craftsman

Post by Hajo »

The Lua scripts are very easy to access by mod-makers and programmers, so DSB definitely has an edge if one looks for an DM-like engine to make a game with.

The benefits fro players come later, when the enhanced modability of DSB was used by people to make good games based on DSB. But such needs time; I think DSB has good potential for game projects though.
Pietrus
Novice

Post by Pietrus »

DSB is permit to keep its party of character from dungeon master to chaos strikes back ?
in conclusion DSB it's a good game for the futur and to create mods

and for a gameplay nearest of the original one but with a few bugs corrected it is the best choice

RTC have a different gameplay
CSBwin have the originals bugs

it is correct ?
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

CSBwin have the originals bugs
I think some are fixed. And CSBwin was translated
from CSB, not DM. So if any bugs in the original DM
were fixed in CSB then they are fixed in CSBwin
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

The short (and possibly not all that useful) answer is that I made DSB because none of the clones that existed at the time did what I wanted a DM clone to do, so I made one that did. My main interest there was flexibility and ease of editing, hence Lua.
Pietrus
Novice

Post by Pietrus »

and actually is DSB plenty enjoyable ? DM and CSB dungeons are complete ?
Hajo
Craftsman

Post by Hajo »

There was a playthrough report posted for the original DM dungeon in DSB, and there were bugs found and fixed. I played a bit myself, and it seems quite alright. I'm not that much of a DM expert, but it matched my memories quite well, so I'd say playing the DM dungeon in DSB is a good experience.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Hehe, I bet that really needs long-time experts to find differences to the original.
Just asking myself how much effort it would be to install a little UDP-reader, so that ticks, inputs and random numbers can be given by some mini external server to CSBwin and DSB simultaneously and results can be compared.
But last time I wrote down a thought, Sophia and Paul started without delay, so don't take this serious this time please!
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

so don't take this serious
Fear not.