What the... Snow in June, then in August!

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Re: What the... Snow in June, then in August!

Post by Seriously Unserious »

This afternoon the rain came back for a while, not as hard as the last few days, and it's stopped now.

That's why we call the west coast of Canada the "Wet Coast". The Wet Coast pretty much extends from northern California (San Fran area) all the way up to the Alaskan Panhandle.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, the snow all melted but now it's all cold and rainy. It was sunny the other day..at least, the sky was lovely and blue and the sun was out, but it was still freezing cold. I think it just needs for the wind to change and I expect we'll start actually warming up...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hail! Lightning! Cats and dogs living together! Mass hysteria! :(
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Sounds like the weather in the RTC version of DM2 :P :lol:

Here it's stopped raining, still no sight of that weird round bright thing in that that I've forgotten what it's called it's been so long since I last saw it... I should get a reminder of what that thing is tomorrow if the weather forecast holds true.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Now that it's in the evening, the rain's started up again, along with some strong wind gusts. A friend told me he was experiencing some bands of snow at higher elevations, up near the SFU Burnaby Mountain campus.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

beowuuf wrote:Hail! Lightning! Cats and dogs living together! Mass hysteria! :(
Lenny, you will have saved the lives of countless millions of voters

i love Ghostbusters
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Yesterday I got some sun, cloud, a few drops of rain, and even saw a few snowflakes. Today it was nothing but sunshine! :D
i love Ghostbusters
Seconded :)

Of course, the phrase "who ya gonna call" has been rendered completely useless by that movie :P but that's a small price to pay. ;)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Dammit, I knew I recognised the quote, but couldn't place it so thought I was just imagining it :P.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

We came, we saw, we kicked its ass!

If someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!

It's true your honour, this man has no dick.

Etc. :D
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

:)
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Wo-oah-oah, somebody's commin, Somebody's comin, be good, for goodness sake.

The effect, I'll tell you what the effect is man, it's pissing me off!

etc.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

He slimed me.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

2 in the bag, we be fast, and they be slow.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

the ghoz is putting a hit on my would be girlfriend
keep your gor coin handy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

We got more (crappy, not very much) snow last night! It's nearly April, wtf :P.
Master Superior

Chaos-Shaman wrote:the ghoz is putting a hit on my would be girlfriend
:lol: we really need a proper Ghostbusters quotes thread! :P

"you do your job pencil-neck, don't tell me how to to mine!"

Back on Topic: I had some crappy weather last Thursday. On my way to college, my bus went though a rather nasty hail storm, which was actually starting to accumulate. There were isolated rainstorms, hail, and even some snow at higher elevations. Then in the evening it cleared out but got cold for this time of year. It's been cold and mainly sunny ever since.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

two Weather-Network guys as of recently in the past week have caught meteors burning up, they called them COMETS, hahahahahaha, i can't believe two of them said it within one week. first one was olver Cobourg Ont, you can see the cars barely passing by when it hit the atmosphere, he called it a comet and today, the one over eastern US the other forecaster said the same thing. these guys are METEROLOGISTS for Petes sake. they study things falling from the sky, you'd think they would know what the difference between a meteor and a comet. it is these same turkeys who promote heavily on GW. they're programming eveyones mind, weather is #1 subject of conversation, it's like out of a James Bond movie, only it's the UN trying to take over the world :)
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Meteorologists actually study the weather, the guys who study objects falling from space are Astronomers, 2 completely different branches of science. The Weather Network guys obviously know the different between a Cumulonimbus cloud and a Stratus cloud but obviously haven't studied Astronomy and don't know the difference between a meteor, a meteorite and a comet.

As for global warming, that's more into the realm of Climatology, which is closely related to Meteorology, but studies it from a different point of view. Kind of like a brain surgeon is a doctor, just like a general practitioner is, but both do completely different parts of medicine.

Within Climatology there is another specialization, Historical Climatology, which is the study of past climates:
wikipedia wrote:Techniques of historical climatology

In literate societies, historians may find written evidence of climatic variations over hundreds or thousands of years, such as phenological records of natural processes, for example viticultural records of grape harvest dates. In preliterate or non-literate societies, researchers must rely on other techniques to find evidence of historical climate differences.

Past population levels and habitable ranges of humans or plants and animals may be used to find evidence of past differences in climate for the region. Palynology, the study of pollens, can show not only the range of plants and to reconstruct possible ecology, but to estimate the amount of precipitation in a given time period, based on the abundance of pollen in that layer of sediment or ice.
Source
I've sen the results of many studies in past climates and none has shown the rate of change we are experiencing now. Although some part of the world seem to be cooling off, which is keeping average global temperatures stable for the moment, many other areas are experiencing rising temperatures. Vancouver is one such area, where the temperatures are above Average more often then below for the past decade now, at least.
Whether you want to call it global warming or climate change, it is happening, and our pollution is a major cause of it. Out pollution is also a major cause of expanding holes in the ozone layers near the poles, especially over Antarctica. These holes are guaranteed to contribute to global warming as the ozone layer is a major filtering system that keeps the most dangerous energies from the Sun away from the surface. A hole in the ozone layer means more of that energy reaches the surface and eventually becomes heat, which is the main type of energy the Earth, and its atmosphere radiate. In other words, the more of the Sun's energy reaches the Earth's surface, the hotter the Earth's temperatures become.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

well meteorology is the study of thngs falling from the sky, that's what it means. anything that enters the atmosphere is their title. that includes space debis. i thnk we know what astronomers do :) anyhow, most people know the difference between a comet and a meteor.

i mentioned earlier about the climate shift in 1977, it is documented, since then, the west coast has warmed, what's happened is the occilation has moved over. that wave that they depict in pictures sometimes, has moved over, so it's increased temps in Alaska. from what i've read written by climatologists that that is what has happened, it had nothing to do with CO2 at all. the melt of the Actic sea ice is not caused by warmer air temperatures. there are a slue fo factors each having a turn of some involvement. i could go into detail, but if you read some of my older messages, they have some of the reasons mentioned. i,ve read 4 climatologist books so far, and am enjoying another right now on weather facts related to Ontario. i do the simple test and i can say from experience that most people don't have a clue about the climate and how it affects our weather. and they could don't care to know either. all they want is warm temps, heh, don't blame them there now do we :) most people are ready and willing to jump into the CO2 AGW boat, they won't bother listening to anyone else, they've been caught in the brainwash cycle flow, in other words they believe everything they hear and not spend the time to learn for themselves. these kinds of people you can't even talk to, they are so stuck in the head on what they've been brainwashed about. i'm interested in how people think. i find watching commercials kind of explains it all. they are designed for childish minds. they treat you like a little kid in
most of them. it disgusts me really, trying to tell me what to think and what i believe and be proud of it.. so that is the tide of GW alarmists, they've been had by brainwashing, practicallly none of them know a thing about what they believe in, just what the scientists are alarming about. we know they've been wrong many times before. my fave of the past i was taught was that the aurora was suns light bouncing off the glaciers. i was taught that when i was a kid. so yeah, scientists are wrong too, i suggest to anyone who just wants to jump into the boat of fear to rethink what they've been taught. spend the time to see how people work, not the stupid skewed data of a hockey stick or some crap like that. there are plenty of proffesionals that don't believe in CO2 being 90% the cause by man made operations. i could spend a year talking about it, but not today :) if you're believing in the mass hysteria, you'll be tough to reach.
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

they won't bother listening to anyone else, they've been caught in the brainwash cycle flow, in other words they believe everything they hear and not spend the time to learn for themselves. these kinds of people you can't even talk to, they are so stuck in the head on what they've been brainwashed about.
that is so true. whatever a person believes is real is what's real to that person. tell them something that contradicts that reality, and it will not be real to most people so it will not even be received by them. it's literally like you're talking to a wall.

there are still many people out there who, when given a viewpoint contradictory to their own, will evaluate it for themselves, and those who decide it it true will change their own point of view or reality.
i find watching commercials kind of explains it all. they are designed for childish minds. they treat you like a little kid in
most of them. it disgusts me really, trying to tell me what to think and what i believe and be proud of it

that's also very true. the saddest part is that it is so effective. there's so many people out there in such a hypnotic daze that they'll do whatever they're told, as long as it doesn't go completely against that person's moral code that the command is rejected by the person, daze or not.
i'm interested in how people think.
as am i. what i find interesting about that is how few people out there actually look, they just react to something when it happens. a few months ago i had a string of several days in a row where i nearly got run over by drivers not looking while driving. in each case they were staring right out their front windshield but seeing nothing. the last and worst of them was this woman who was looking right at me the whole time, yet didn't even see me until she was almost right on top of me and i was starting to run out of her was! it's kind of scary to think of people in suck a state driving. it's the people who are driving without looking that make our roads so dangerous (intoxicated drivers and distracted drivers definitely fall into this category).
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

and, so there is not much we can do about bad programming, you can't teach an old dog a new trick, heh, keeping an open mind is far better than jumping in with the masses.

oh, and that is how I feel much of the time on certain topics, I know there is a chance they are brainwashed, and it's impossible to deal with this kind of thing apart from taking them aside and one step it all the way through. i just had the jahovah old ladies show up show up again at my door, ALWAYS spreading fear to convince you to join, and as always I told them I am happy, please bring me good news. God is not a punisher, heh, we do that ourselves. anyhow, they amuse me on how they do their tricks.

hahaha, I've been hit by a car when I was 14, the guy took off.. it was both our faults though. made me cross at a light more often...
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

it's cold here, it's snowing, i know it's toasty warm in BC, bastards, but i just saw one chart showing a cold summer for much of the U.S. and central Canada, it didn't show any above normal either but near normal instead, kinda strange not to see that. many parts of the EU got hammered with snow and cold this winter, too. it's the other side of the coin now. Antarctic had a record sea ice formation, kinda weird considering i keep hearing how it's melting, but really ice sheets break free due to large wave actions and we've had higher than normal seismic activity.
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I think the antarctic ice melting is referring to a trend, rather then a fixed process. one year it may increase, another it may decrease, but the overall trend over many years is a decrease, which is verified by the fact that there are parts of the Antarctic coast that are free of ice that have not been in centuries or even millennia.

Vancouver's been getting a mixed bag of weather lately, some stormy weather, ice pellets and snow at higher elevations, some strong winds, and some sun and warm weather. right now the weather seems to be following the pattern of if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes. The local mountains received huge snowfalls over the past few days.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

As of last Sunday it's abruptly (and about time!) turned all sunny and lovely, and has been good every day since then. And on Saturday it was all cold and horrible and pissing it down all day. I was at my partner's house that weekend and when we saw the weather we just went "Ooh quick, we have to go for a walk while it's sunny!" and it seemed like loads of other people had th same idea 'cause the country park we walked through was very busy (though there was some kind of kids' activity thing going on at the visitor centre where we had lunch which might've had something to do with it).
Master Superior

Today I got drenched by a torrential downpour. I should be getting some sunshine by this Saturday and I'm definitely looking forward to that.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol yeah it totally pissed it down yesterday afternoon. Fortunately I wasn't out. It's looking cloudy today but I hope that if it's gonna rain, it does so only when I'm indoors 'cause I'm going to work shortly :P.
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Seriously Unserious wrote:I think the antarctic ice melting is referring to a trend, rather then a fixed process. one year it may increase, another it may decrease, but the overall trend over many years is a decrease, which is verified by the fact that there are parts of the Antarctic coast that are free of ice that have not been in centuries or even millennia.

Vancouver's been getting a mixed bag of weather lately, some stormy weather, ice pellets and snow at higher elevations, some strong winds, and some sun and warm weather. right now the weather seems to be following the pattern of if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes. The local mountains received huge snowfalls over the past few days.

http://news.yahoo.com/climate-paradox-l ... 00973.html
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

http://news.yahoo.com/tropical-ice-reve ... 10274.html speaks of climate shifts

http://news.yahoo.com/report-global-war ... 20026.html speaks of causes unknown

just some of the articles out there, THERE ARE THOUSANDS of different views other than the one used in our media
keep your gor coin handy
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I don't know what those articles are about (I don't have time to read them) so i don't pretend to discuss the topic per se, but I can't help notice you're getting your source of information from yahoo. Some medias are interested about truth: they put their sources, their data, allow for peer-reviewing, consult skilled persons about the topic, quote explicitly and with context, and double check everything before publishing their news. It's not 100% efficient and there are some biases but they're filtering in enough quality to build knowledge. You'll still have to compare, discuss, criticize and investigate to achieve some big picture on the domains of your interest.

Some other medias just go for whatever will gather attention.

Yahoo is of the second kind.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

i use many other sites Zyx, they are just ones i see when i log on, and was easy to do. what sites that are not biased do you have that i can visit?
speaking for Yahoo, it's about a 70-30, 70% of arcticles are biased to AGW being man made, the more pupular ones i might add, then there is about a 30% biased to showing there is another reason. i have indulged in both, have read both sides, and if you don't read those articles above Zyx, you'll not be able to have the other CREDIBLE side of the story. it would help if everyone read the climatologists books who do not believe the CO2 story, instead of being caught up in the Al Gor propaganda being handed out. good thing i prefer not to be part of the mass group, it gives the opportunity to see with different eyes. DON'T THINK I DON'T KNOW THE OTHER SIDE of the story. i have read and heard the same explanations hundreds of times. i'd like some more information, not the same crap they hand out over and over until you believe it, no thanks, that's not for me. i wish others can see this. it is no fun to be around paranoid people. i am constantly testing and checking peoples behaviour about this topic, it's real interesting, it also scares me that people can be tricked using good will and care into believing whatever, i get a kick out of it really.

ALL MEDIA tried to grab your attention, i think we all know that. let me say this, for every article that i see that is conflicting with other point of views, and they start to make claims, check the wording. what i do is copy and paste the txt, do a word search on the typical nono words you should not use in science and these are words like:

- suggest
- could
- might
- may
- possible
- perhaps
- appear
etc
if there is more than 10 of those kinds of words in a science article like GW for example, i don't believe what they say at all, ESPECIALLY IF IT'S IN THE HEADLINE.

that makes sense to everyone i hope. ha hehehe, if you're told you maybe will get a Christmas Present, what goes through your minds? do you think it's true or false?
keep your gor coin handy