[RTC] The Trail: Part 1

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Saumun
High Lord

Re: [RTC] The Trail: Part 1

Post by Saumun »

This is bad news, and at the moment I’m totally bemused by this.
I haven’t had a look in the editor yet, as I’m not home... but it has been played through literally dozens of times by myself and also tested by Chaos-Shaman and the door has never failed to open. It’s just a simple trigger, and has never been altered in any way.

I’m wondering if it’s possible that something in the text file got corrupted, the last time it was compiled.

I need to take a look when I can get to it.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Okay...

I have found the problem with the door, though I am unsure as to how it happened.
Nevertheless, it is now fixed... but it does mean version 1.01 is not completable.

I would ask anyone that has played it to any length (that wishes to continue), send me a pm to say so. I will give you an email address to send your save game to, and I will play up to the point of your last save and send it back to you.
If you're playing, but haven't got very far... I would suggest waiting for version 1.02, which will be uploaded in a few days (the offending door is already fixed, but I might as well implement the other minor fixes in the guard tower before releasing).

I will wait a few days before starting (that way i can sort out multiple people from the same play).
Leslie, I already have yours... so anyone else, just let me know.

I apologise for the inconvenience.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

That's a bummer Saumun. I have had the same problems, usually they happen when I am too tired that it is not noticed right away, some change that somehow usually becomes a timing issue. You always manage to fix it though. I look forward to part 2.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

It’s the weirdest thing...
When I went into it, the trigger was set for deactivate, rather than activate..... but I don’t remember touching it.

But I must have!

Maybe I’m going mad.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I think these sorts of errors are why people quit making a dungeon. They can't find the problem easily. If you think something is hitting the trigger, maybe doing a ref search will reveal where it is being activated. I have never tried that before but it might work. When do you expect part 2 to be finished?
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

It’s barely started. Just don’t seem to have any time lately.
The part I sent you is all I’ve got at the moment.
Hoping to get to work on it soon though.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

If it is anything like you are putting out, can't wait. I believe you mentioned a money exchange idea and I have some work for you to look at.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Just dropping a note that the link at the top of the thread has been updated to version 1.02.

The aforementioned door issue has been fixed, along with a few minor niggles.
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Hi guys,

I habe another technical question. I'm with the two knights that you have to trap. As you know, they won't enter the cells when you chase them, but they will follow when you are actually in the cell.
I managed to trap one of the knights. Then I went to the other cell, waiting for the knight to come after me. But it seems the invisible teleport keeoping it at bay fromn the cell did not deactivate this time. What did I do wrong?
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I was also confused on this one.
Spoiler
You have a new spell to try
keep your gor coin handy
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Alright, some more steps done. At last found the KATH rune, thanks for the PM. Opened the top floor of Bellande's house. Also got the SAR rune. Now only KU and ROS are missing, and I have a bad feeling that I have to finish the Kuros level to get them...
Trapped the two knights and got a second key. The last (at least obvious) thing to finish on the KU path is the invulnerability test. I already got the "rare poison", but I miss a key to activate the pumping machine near the inlet. I guess just throwing the poison at the knight will not do it, even if repeated... so probably close the door, activate the pump somehow and then use the poison on the inlet? Just guessing...
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

What feels strange... Am I the only new player playing this dungeon at the moment? At least no one else is posting...
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Often happens. What I’ve found personally is that the dungeons seem to get plenty of downloads, but not so many posts.
There doesn’t seem to be the same interest level within the forum anymore, but as I say..... people are definitely downloading.

In answer to your previous... yes, you do have to complete the kuros level to get them.

And for the 3rd key,
Spoiler
you are 100% correct.
Have a look nearby for a door that cannot be opened. There is somethings(one) behind it. Check your rune map (ku). You don’t need to open the door to get what you want.

You’ll have got more info in the mail at Naerza’s house.
Spoiler
Killing the Knight is all in the timing. Once you throw the Ia poison, let it completely disappear before closing the inlet... but be quick once it does, or the poison won’t be concentrated enough to work.
m1ckey
Journeyman

Post by m1ckey »

The offending techeye door is working fine now!

I have couple of problems:

Completed the ROS way to the very end (?) and was kinda expecting to find rune there. Found cross key and a nice sword and armor. Maybe I missed something?

At the KU way I got the pump key but have no idea what "rare poison" is.

At the Bellinge house cellar I found Winged key for the door with a pit, guess I need to find a gear wheel somewhere?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Hi m1ckey,

Bellande House cellar
Yes, the doors that take the winged and solid keys need gears to make them work. The gear already in place is for a working door that needs to be found.
You’re looking for a lever, but need to keep your eyes peeled as it disappears. You need to be quick to catch it.
Use the magic map to look for a part of the cellar you haven’t been to. That will give you an idea of where the lever is.

Ros
It sounds like you haven’t quite completed it all.
Is the sword you’re referring to the nightblade?
If so, well done... it’s very important.
As for the rune, head north from the entrance to Ros to a 3x3 room. If you look on the map, there is a corridor you cannot get to. Move around the room checking the map. There’s something in there that doesn’t want to be found.

Ku
The Ia poison is close to the pump area. Have you noticed a blue force field nearby with a lever next to it?
You also need to look for a fake wall.

On another note, have you visited the merchant wandering around the northwest part of the town and upgraded your magic map to a rune map?
It makes it much easier to find stuff.
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Saumun wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:29 pm Have a look nearby for a door that cannot be opened. There is somethings(one) behind it. Check your rune map (ku). You don’t need to open the door to get what you want.
Can this still be done if the trollin - by pure accident of course - did not survive a DES VEN...? :oops:
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Yes, I made sure it would respawn (for this very reason).
I can’t remember how long it takes though (can’t check, as I’m mobile at the moment), but I think I linked it to a trigger... so walk out of the general area to be sure.
m1ckey
Journeyman

Post by m1ckey »

Saumun wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:31 pm On another note, have you visited the merchant wandering around the northwest part of the town and upgraded your magic map to a rune map?
It makes it much easier to find stuff.
Now I have and rune map sure kicks ass. The thing is, when I first started playing I actually killed both of the wandering merchants (OOPS). The other one did respawn while the other one didn´t. Guess I´m still in a DM/CSB mode - Killing everything that moves :lol:

Got further on both KU and ROS paths and the runes are just out of reach. Now I seem to need... Couple of fuses?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Yes, at certain points in both Ku and Ros, small extra sections open up.
Have a hunt around the places you’ve already been, and you’ll find them.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

The roaming merchants are there during the daytime, and are killable (and will retaliate when attacked). They respawn the next day.

If you attack the merchants in shops, you get a 12 hour ban... by which I mean the shop menu will close and the guard will constantly attack in that particular shop for 12 hours (game time... obviously).

It’s a good idea to pay the money for an upgrade to the rune map, because you get the ku, ros, dain, and neta map spells without needing the runes themselves. Makes it much easier to find fake walls.

There are also spells available in potion form that previously were not (like fireshield), so you can have them before finding the necessary runes, as long as you have the money.
m1ckey
Journeyman

Post by m1ckey »

Made some progress, completed KU&ROS ways and the sewers.

In the "Dimension of the damned" I killed all the nasties and got a RA key, which I have no idea where to use it or how to carry on from there.

The demon in KU&ROS pit doesn´t seem to take any damage. Got a clue about it, something about night & day.

I´m still missing PAL & KATH runes, of which I assume one can be found at the house with a broken lock. Still haven´t figured out how to open the cellar door at the cave.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Dimension of the Damned is a tough level, mainly because it’s hard to get a grip on where you are.
Though your compas goes haywire, your magic map is still useful (and for one part later, will be utterly essential).
Have you come across a circular, floating ra door that blocks your path? It’s quite close to the start.
Well, there is a floating (and moving) ra lock.
Find it and insert the ra key. The door will disappear.
Don’t worry... it can’t move all over the level. It’s confined to a smallish area, as are some more objects you’ll need later.

You cannot access the house with the broken lock yet. That will come later. There is no rune in there.
Kath is on the town level.
Spoiler
Have a look around the shrine near the eastern shops.
Pal is in the caves.
Spoiler
It’s connected to the graves.
The Hex Demon below the kuros level can only be killed with a certain weapon.
As the clue suggests, it likes night but not day.
Think about a weapon you’ve already found and how sunlight might be made powerful.
m1ckey
Journeyman

Post by m1ckey »

Leslie wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:16 pm What feels strange... Am I the only new player playing this dungeon at the moment? At least no one else is posting...
Nah, I´m knee-deep in the same shit as you are :wink:
m1ckey
Journeyman

Post by m1ckey »

OT: This dungeon gives me the same exciment level as DM/CSB did in late eighties, when I first completed them on amiga.
While I´m recent first time poster, I´m a long time lurker and have completed most (at least a lot) of the custom RTC dungeons.
This one easily takes the cake!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I’m glad you’re enjoying it. Very kind of you to say.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

m1ckey wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:11 am OT: This dungeon gives me the same exciment level as DM/CSB did in late eighties, when I first completed them on amiga.
While I´m recent first time poster, I´m a long time lurker and have completed most (at least a lot) of the custom RTC dungeons.
This one easily takes the cake!
I would agree with you guys on this, it is showing some very complex capabilities that RTC is capable of.

Keep up the great work Saumun.
keep your gor coin handy
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Finally made some steps on the ROS part of the Kuros level. Finishing the rest of KU and getting the rune was quickly done.
By the way, can the IA bomb be used against common monsters as well like a ZO VEN potion, or is it useless later on?

At the moment I am in the room with the four creatures that throw daggers at you. I have collected a full weapon inventory of daggers, and I guess they have run out ammo... but did not yet find out what to do here.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Act like a ninja Leslie
Spoiler
throw them back
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

It’s as CS says....
Spoiler
... and the meazels will pick them up and throw them back.
In answer to your other question, the Ia bomb is just a stronger ven bomb. It can indeed be used as normal. Also.....
Spoiler
It will always respawn in the same place after being used, but only until you complete the pump/inlet part. After this part is complete, it will never respawn again.
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Nice, this ROS way :)
Made it up to a square key and a black sword. Now I am looking for a new place to explore, since it seems to be a dead end. At least there was nothing coming after the square key, and the passage with the sword also has no further exits.
Most likely I need to find somethiong fitting the quadratic switch at the very beginning of the way