New Big Box

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
3DH
Apprentice

New Big Box

Post by 3DH »

I write using a translator, so some sentences may sound strange.

Dungeon Master, along with Maniac Mansion, are my favorite PC DOS games. I always wanted to have big boxed versions of these games, but today they are practically impossible to buy, and when you can buy them, the prices are high. Additionally, the boxes are not in the best condition.

I wonder if it would be possible to recreate the boxes and their contents (maybe without the disks, but with stickers for the disks) and how much something like that would cost.

What do you think, is it possible without overpaying?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: New Big Box

Post by Gambit37 »

It would cost way more to do this to a high standard than it would to just buy a good quality one off eBay.

Having said that, I think this is a really nice idea for a project. You will learn a ton of practical skills and have something cool to show for it at the end. I say give it a go and let us know how you get on :)
3DH
Apprentice

Post by 3DH »

Ok, I expected that, but I had to ask anyway. Sarcasm is not needed here 😏

More seriously, I could do something, why not. Some manual or a sticker for floppy disks 😏
slickrcbd
Expert

Post by slickrcbd »

They used to sell blanks stickers with pin-feed sized for floppy disks back at the end of the '80s. I imagine in the '90s they sold them without the pin-feed since printers had largely switched to sheet feeders.
Doing the floppy disk should be relatively easy if you can locate such a sheet.
On the other hand, about four years ago I was helping my late mother clean out her house during the COVID shutdown and we were labeling things when we ran out of the labels we were using, but I had found the box were I kept all the floppy disk labels that came with blank disks. I hadn't purchased floppies in over 15 years (closer to 20 now).
Unfortunately, I found that a lot of the labels were not as sticky as they should have been due to their age, which was anywhere from 15-25 years at the time.

Point is that it should be possible to get labels that you can print, and then you can download and use a picture of the disk label. If you can't find that, I could make one of the Apple IIGS version easily enough given an hour to locate the disk in the big box.
3DH
Apprentice

Post by 3DH »

Stickers will be the easiest to make. I once tried to do this in Gimp.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zccw7S ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hwfHem ... drive_link