Bitmaps.

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
amaprotu
Adept

Bitmaps.

Post by amaprotu »

It seems to me that a lot of the items use internal variables for the bitmaps in the text dungeons given. This is nice cuz it lets me change em one at a time as a I wish. However I was wondering if it might be possible for you (George) to offer a seperate zip of all the .bmp files used to create the original dungeons. Mostly I want it so I can have exact examples of the size so my pieces fit together.
- Amaprotu
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Bitmaps.

Post by Gambit37 »

Try spending some time learning the dungeon format first! :wink:

Seriously, I'm sure George will offer bitmaps, documentation, whatever, when he has the time to do so. I'm sure the reason that v0.16 was released with editing capability was to stop everyone from whining for it.... and as soon as it is released, we demand something else!

Give the guy a break! :wink:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yuppers, you can research yourself VERY easily by simply killing all the bitmaps but the one you want in any given instance, and screen capture..you can get the bitmaps and sizes that way
Example, complile the zoo with all the wallset graphics but the one you want blanked out.
It's freaky, but lets you see what elemment is what
Same with interface or entrance graphics

Plus, for now you can only override and replace was is given anyway, so any not explicitly stated in the override aren't going to be needed for a while yet!
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
amaprotu
Adept

Post by amaprotu »

Oh bah. of course I'm messing with the dungeons. I just really like messing with graphics. sorry for asking. I figured he probably has em all in a folder already anyways and winzip it takes 2 seconds to zip it all and then upload. If it is a pain to do then ya I can take screen shots and cut n paste.

Excellent work btw George. I havn't run into any problems where I can't figure out what is happening in the dungeons. From what I have messed with it is very clear and easy to understand and mess with. Good work! :)
- Amaprotu
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

most of the bitmaps of the original can be found at:
www.dungeonmaster.de
the page is german, but just follow the links at the left page. there are all characters, items and monsters.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Note that any bitmaps you may find dotted around the net might not match the dimensions that George has used.

Note also that this doesn't necessarily matter as you can change the sizes of bitmaps in the TXT file anyway. Be aware that all new objects work by 'cloning' old objects. This may sound like a limitation, but in fact allows a large amount of customisation. For example, you clone a sword and change all it's display bitmaps and all it's attack types - which effectively gives you a new weapon! Same goes for monsters, doors, objects, etc.

Key colour (invisible pixels) is pink: RGB 255,0,255.