RTC won´t run!

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

RTC won´t run!

Post by Lunever »

Hi! I´ve just downloaded RTC, but when I started RTC.Exe I only got a black screen (but with Task Bar) and 2 Tasks in the Task bar: "RTC.exe" and "error".
Do I need to install RTC in a special directory or do I need any missing files to run it?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: RTC won´t run!

Post by beowuuf »

alter the config.txt, your graphics card possibly doesn't support 24bit colour, or the screen size given..it's the first entry, just adjust it to your desk size with correct colour (32 for example) and it shoudl run fine
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Perhaps I'm being too anal here, but this is the wrong forum! It should be in the bugs forum.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, it's not really a bug if it is just a config problem, and it is affecting the gameplay in a fairly major way : )

Gameplay...how the game plays (functionality) too, or just how to play the game...who knows!
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Sorry that I thought gameplay would be the right place (since I want to play the game :-) ). But if someone moves this topic from here to there I wouldn´t mind.

Well, I tried that, changing the entry 640x480x24 to 640x480x32, but the error remains. One funny thing I didn´t have had before: When I try to change the display settings of windows like number of colours or size I get an error (don´t know it´s exact spelling in English since I use a german version of Win98) "Can´t change settings: Please check Hardware in Device-Manager"
<p>Komm zur bunten Seite der Macht! </p>
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

hmm could be your pronblem, bad driver for your video card?

Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

That would be strange since all other games work fine and I didn´t encounter that error before. But I´ll reinstall the video driver anyway. Maybe it has something to do with the latest 4in1driver i´ve downloaded frome the VIA site or maybe it´s something with directX (8.1). I´ll try to figure that out. If anyone happens to an idea, I´d appreciate help anyway.
Thanx so far.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

BTW, i suggested 32 as a different colour setting...check your desktop settings, it might have been running in 16bit instead!
Otherwise, good luck...don't know otherwise : (

Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

It is running in 32 bit (true color) <p>Komm zur bunten Seite der Macht! </p>
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

AAAAAARRGGHHHHH!!!!!

It just came to my notice that ALL my games aren´t running anymore with that same error! I swear it has been that @#%$ windows-update!!! I hate it. So, now try to reinstall same things!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Ok, forget this topic, I´ve got it. After reinstalling/deinstalling&reinstalling different grafix drivers and asking several people including some friends and a silly hotline from fujitsu I installed win98 over the existing win98 and the bug disappeared, but this reinstalling created several problems with booting procedure and system stability I needed hours to repair them.
And now AFTER I´ve done that I found out what the original problem was: Absolutely silly! On this machine there was also netmeeting installed with an activated remote dekstop. As long as this is in function, display settings can´t be changed, thus no full screen game can be started. All neccessary would have been deactivating this silly prog., if the error just had given any clue that it was caused by it.
Thanx for help anyway.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

glad it was sorted...and damn, i thought only an active session of netmeeting could freeze your desktop settings...ncie to know...

George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Fixed for V0.17