Cool things about DM2

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Seeker19
Apprentice

Cool things about DM2

Post by Seeker19 »

Something someone posted on Dan's board about a "port" of DM got me thinking about this. It was a while ago, and I'm lazy, so I don't know who'd written it, but basically he'd said that "true 3D wouldn't be Dungeon Master" and...it's true.

There are only two computer games that have ever made me scream in terror in the small hours of the night: one was "Rescue on Fractalus" (an old 8-bit game where you rescued downed starship pilots), and the other was Dungeon Master. The key to the tension in both is the limited view. You're waiting for something to happen or just resting and then something hops around a corner or lunges through the cockpit window ("Rescue on Fractalus" again: both games still give me goosebumps).

When DM2 came out, there was an awful lot of criticism of Interplay for not making the game 3D, but I think they did the right thing.

Further, the money system was a lovely improvement, though it changed gameplay a great deal, it was quite good, and fairly satisfying to be able to buy stuff. It gave the money in the game some value, which was sorely lacking in the previous two games.

In all, there's very little I would change in DM2: I can think of two things, and they're minor quibbles. 1) I would've liked it if more of the spells were different combinations (we all miss the fun we had back in '85 & '86 trying to come up with working combinations) of symbols, and 2) I would've preferred to have fewer lightning strikes during the storms (it lost some of its threat when it became so regular an occurence).

- Seeker19
Ian Clark
Um Master

Re: Cool things about DM2

Post by Ian Clark »

I would also make it so that words are used when a wizard/priest can't cast a spell, instead of the symbol.

I like the way the monsters have some initiative and dodge your fireballs but the one thing I can't stand are those minions - just as you get one off your back, another creeps up on you. They are far too annoying and shouldn't be allowed to use ladders etc. I would also get rid of some of the ladders in favour of stairs.

The giggler bit was always a classic, especially when you get blasted half to death to find there's nowt good down there. :lol: <p><font face=arial>Ian

Pulp - Styling the pattern for life!</font></p>
BinaryBandit
Novice

I liked the thiefs

Post by BinaryBandit »

The two Thieves made the game worthwhile to play. :-) I posted some high level Guardian orbs in the den and made alot of cash that way.

But i loved the way they snatched things out of your hand saying: `MINE'. hahah Scared the hell out of me the first time it happend. I thing ilost something real valuable. :)
dmologist
Journeyman

3d DM not real?

Post by dmologist »

Well rather you like it or not it exists a complete REAL 3D Dungeon Master, called DM Nexus. you can alittle information from ian's site. if you want i can post a translation of that site.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: 3d DM not real?

Post by Gambit37 »

I like the tech shield that allows you to teleport back to the shop area - but it does make the game too easy as you can keep stocking up on stuff.

The green lizard guards are funny when they run out of arrows and start punching you. Hated the minions though - really annoying. I'm still only 2/3 of the way through, so I'm sure there's more cool stuff to see.

BTW, There will be Nexus information on my DM Web site. I have it now and have a friend with a Saturn. We're trying to get it to work with a TV capture card so that I can grab screen shots, but not having much luck at the moment :(
dmologist
Journeyman

too easy?

Post by dmologist »

tech shields doing teleport? heck no... if anything it's the shops that are too easy... that and the minions...
yea lots of cool stuff... it can be fun :wink:

wow you got nexus? have you tried it yet? could your friend contact me(genie.metroid@eudoramail.com) and tell me what i sohuld know aobut buying saturn stuff? whcih mem card to get, which controllers work best ect? does Nexus Work? do i need a 4mb mem card? Can't wait for Nexus news :wink: anyway's lets talk over in the "other DM games" since this part is OT.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Re: Cool things about DM2

Post by Tom Hatfield »

My favorite part of DM2 (besides slaughtering axemen and seeing how many blue gems I could get from their axes) is the music. To this day, I am a MIDI freak. I've spent hundreds of dollars on hardware and software to make my MIDI's sound better. Interplay has some damned fine musicians working for them.

I ripped the entire DM2 soundtrack long ago and have yet to find a site online that offers it for download, so if anybody is interested, let me know. I also have the semi-complete soundtrack for Stonekeep, which rocks a thousand times harder than DM2 and just about any other game in the world (assuming you have the right sound card).

Brian Luzietti is my muthaf***in' boy. He composed the music for DM2's intro, ending, and credits. BL is my second favorite composer, right next to Elliot Goldenthal.
mani
Neophyte

Stonekeep soundtrack

Post by mani »

Could I get your soundtrack files from Stonekeep?

I agree, that is the best soundtrack... I've been looking all over for it.

manicotti0@yahoo.com

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”