Strangest thing I got from mail...

This is an archive of posts from the Unofficial Dungeon Master website, run by Daniel Durgan. It was the first DM web site and disappeared from the web in 2000. This archive is for reference only.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Toni Y
Adept

Strangest thing I got from mail...

Post by Toni Y »

I got something strange yesterday to my e-mail box. I wonder where did they get the idea I was the contact person... Not that I complain, it's good to have some more exposure for DM :-), but Dan might have some objections.
Anyway, should I keep things as they are now or do something about this?
--- clip begins --- Hi,
Your site was recently submitted to OpenHere.com.
We have reviewed your site and decided to include it as follows: Link: http://www.insidetheweb.com/messageboar ... i/mb129745 Title: The Un-Official Dungeon Master Message Board Description: OpenHere Category: http://www.openhere.com/games/video/cat ... er-series/

As you are listed as a contact person on the home page of this site, I am dropping you a quick note to let you know about your inclusion on OpenHere.
OpenHere is one of the 10 largest index and search sites on the Internet and is specifically focused on creating resources for the family.
You can dynamically modify your site's listing at any time, or include your site's listing in other categories on OpenHere.com.
When you modify your site's listing, it is automatically placed at the top of the category in which it is included, and is placed first in the search engine results for the keywords relating to your site.
To modify, add or delete your listing:
1. Go to the OpenHere category where your site is listed. 2. Click on the "Suggest a Site" link. 3. Follow the instructions for changing your listing.
All of the modifications you submit to OpenHere.com are processed in real time. As soon as you see the response to your submission, your site listing should be updated.
OpenHere is frequented by both children and families. As a result, www.OpenHere.com does not include links to material which is illegal to display to minors.
If you have a question, or need help in any way, please just send me a note. Yes, I am a real person!
Sara www.OpenHere.com Your key to the Net!
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

I got exactly the same thing. So I enquired, I found out that it searches for your email address on the page - it will have found every email on this page and sent one to it, that's my theory anyhow!
+Bertman74

Post by +Bertman74 »

That is a good theory because I got the same thing too. thats ok though like Toni said it is more exposure :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Er, actually, no: It's not a Good Thing - it's pure spamming and it's generally illegal to use people's email addresses unsolicited. I'd be worried if I were you... you never know what spam lists you may have ended up on.
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

Well, the good thing was the extra publicity DM has received. The method that was used was questionable...
I wonder how many other message board's users have had some mass postings.
+Bertman74

Post by +Bertman74 »

I didn't think of it like that, but then again I always tend to search out the good in things. I guess it is not all that good then. Sorry, besides I never minded spam, it goes good with eggs :).
+Dido

Post by +Dido »

Sorry guys, 'fraid I have to agree with the boy from the bayou on this one!
PS This site ROCKS, but it needs one more link...
http://dmweb.free.fr