Future of this site

This is an archive of posts from the Unofficial Dungeon Master website, run by Daniel Durgan. It was the first DM web site and disappeared from the web in 2000. This archive is for reference only.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ian Clark
Um Master

Future of this site

Post by Ian Clark »

I was wondering about the future of this site. I have tried to email Daniel but I always get a bounce message, it seems his Hotmail account was deactivated because he hasn't used it for over 90 days.
Bearing this in mind, it possibly won't be long before the same happens to his Virgin account and this site... We need to think of a way to keep this site running and to keep people visiting it.
I was wondering about asking could I take over but not being able to get hold of Daniel, there isn't much I could do. What I need to know is - is there anyone else who I could contact?
I would happily put all the information from this site onto my site, that means there would be regular updates, more downloads (ie dungeons) etc...
However, I do not want to do that without Daniel's permission because this is his site, not mine, and I wouldn't be happy to return to my site and find it has been stolen. There is always the possibility Daniel will return.
What I would like to know is - is there any other way I could contact Daniel? Does anyone have his proper email rather than his Hotmail one?
Ok, I will leave it at that and hopefully one day I will be able to update this site and it will be mine and have a stable future (of course, Daniel will be constantly recognized for all his hard work).
Keep rockin' yeah
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, I agree, it would be a shame to lose this site seeing as it was probably the first DM fan site.
I don't have any contact details for Daniel, so lord knows how we can get hold of him. To be fair though, the interest in DM seems to have died off again after a surge last year. There only appears to be a few regular names on this board and I guess most of those don't come back here often as they know everything that's on this site.
I think part of the problem with this message board is that Insidetheweb boards don't re-sort the messages by date when new replies are added (inlike your one Ian), so people don't bother looking beyond the first page of messages. If it were changed to a better format, we might find that there is still interest, as people will reply to old threads that interest them. Of course, we'd need to get those threads back to the top of the board in the first place...
One final note, does anybody see the need for a more interactive professionally designed DM site? I'm a website designer, and as a pet project I was thinking of setting one up. It would include a downloadable interactive DM guide that I have started designing. Anyone interested in that?
Gambit
+Ron

Post by +Ron »

That'd be cool. Can you make a downloadable CSB too?
+Nick

Post by +Nick »

Hi, It would be a shame to loose this site as it is nice to chat about DM after all these years. The idea for the new site sounds great. one question: when?
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

I am redesigning mine now, I am not going to take *anything* from this site as of yet, but I hope mine will work as some sort of replacement...
Keep rockin' yeah!
+vally

Post by +vally »

i think its a great idea to take what daniel has done and add to it... im sure he wouldnt mind, its all done in a good spirit. its very much worth updating the site in my opinion, the game is a *genuine* legendary game, unlike many that people seem to label as such in a state of nostalgia these days. for that reason i think people will always, at the very least, be interested in it in a kind of precursor to 'doom' kind of way and on a deeper level admire its use of myth and tension to create a fantastic atmosphere.
all the best, good luck
+vally

Post by +vally »

the advertising revenue would have to be sorted out, im sure daniel wouldnt want to lose any of that...
the bulliten-board point made earlier is a good one, a search option on past topics would be very handy indeed
also, why not make the site less Atari ST centered, ive just recently heard that the amiga emulators handle CSB better than the ST ones do, in which case if this site is essentially about *the game* rather than the platform there should be more amiga support.
+tim lodwick

Post by +tim lodwick »

i love dm and want it to live forever, good old days.