DM: "Limited Sounds"

This is an archive of posts from the Unofficial Dungeon Master website, run by Daniel Durgan. It was the first DM web site and disappeared from the web in 2000. This archive is for reference only.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
+Ty

DM: "Limited Sounds"

Post by +Ty »

I have a P2 350,64 MB ram, SoundBlaster 16. When I restart in MSDOS mode, and run DM, it says LIMITED SOUNDS at the bottom of the screen. Gigglers don't giggle, Armors don't clank, Skeletons don't rattle. Other sounds are OK How do I get full sound?
+Lucky Charms

Post by +Lucky Charms »

i don't know for sure but you could try increasing the amount of conventional memory available by pressing f8 and then choosing to skip certain lines in your autoexec.bat and config.sys files (just don't cut out himem.sys, mouse.com, and your sound card drivers)
+Yag Alone

Post by +Yag Alone »

The joy of "modern" computing... PCs are only a plane thruster mounted in the shell of a Lada... Fast, but crap... Fast enough to almost not noticing that it's crap...
Buy a 20$ ST and play DM on it, it'll be fully functional!
Pascal
+Jerry

Post by +Jerry »

Try the following, I've got a similar system + win98. I've got most sounds and music now.

CONFIG.SYS
@ECHO OFF mode con codepage prepare=((850) c:\windows\COMMAND\ega.cpi) mode con codepage select=850 keyb uk,,c:\windows\COMMAND\keyboard.sys LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /L:E SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2 SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0

AUTOEXEC.BAT
@ECHO OFF mode con codepage prepare=((850) c:\windows\COMMAND\ega.cpi) mode con codepage select=850 keyb uk,,c:\windows\COMMAND\keyboard.sys LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /L:E SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2 SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
Hope it helps
+Ty

Post by +Ty »

Excuse my ignorance, but what's an ST?
+Yag Alone

Ye good old days [GRIN]

Post by +Yag Alone »

Oh... You're probably someone who started computing 3/4 years ago... So it's not surprising that you don't know what was the ST.
The ST is a old 16/32 bit computer that appear near 1987. It has a 68000 at 8 MHz (don't laugh! The Macs and PCs were similar or worse at this time!) and was very succesful (at least in Europe) from 88 to 92. The original version of DM was issued on this computer near 89 (even if it was announced since '87!) and the Amiga* and PC versions are very similar (the PC version seems to have a silly multimedia intro added...) Those computers are now very common on second hand sales and are almost given away (I bought one for less than 10 Euros [convert yourself ;-P] ). To use it, you just need a TV set (as monitor - fun to play DM on a 70 cm TV!) and a spare power plug. (In fact, you'll need the stuff included with the computer - don't need to say!) The hardest part should be to find DM for ST... The original floppies disks are now from 7 to 10 years old and are often unusable (even if floppies were of better quality on those days - I talk like my grandfather!) The copied version avalaible on the web are often still protected or badly unprotected, and they don't work that much.
This huge bunch of writtings aren't very linked with your original query, but it's just a bit of culture.
BTW, on PC, you may try ST emulators, but they seems to be HARD to configure.
Good luck
Pascal