the end of the game... (DMBuilder)

Use this forum to discuss dungeon editors and other tools, like DMute (by George Gilbert, also working for RTC dungeons), DM Builder (by Sphenx), and ADGE by `rain. Includes DM editing tips and tricks.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Florian

the end of the game... (DMBuilder)

Post by Florian »

I have a new question about DMBuilder (last version)...
very simple...
how is designed an ending? can it only be the fluxcaging/invoking of Chaos or is there any possibility to design another thing to win the game?

have a good day!
Florian
Sphenx
On Master

Re: the end of the game...

Post by Sphenx »

For the moment, there is no special way to design an end. But you can still try to see how it is done in other dungeons.

You may read beowuuf's hextut. I think there is a "end" actuator, which is number 0x12 (18 in decimal). I never really tested it.

I think in Dungeon Master, in level 12 (Chaos level), at (0,0), there are the texts displayed when Chaos is fused. I think the order of those texts is determinated by the first letter of them. You may have a look at
this. It may be quite the same thing in the CSB dungeon.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The hex value of the end actuator is '12', which is the one after the eating toggler in the DMBuilder options (i think)

In CSB what happens is you are telleported to a room with floor texts, and then this actuator ends the game. It's different from DM, which seems to be activated by the code once you fuse chaos

So, what I am saying is you will need to design some background mechanics, but these can be anything...then have them finally target this'end' actuator and it will look like the game has ended correctly

So there is nothign to stop you, for example, from having a enidng using teleporters and floor texts where, if you open the exit, the party are moved through the door with text coming up, and when they hit the last square the game ends
Ooooooooor, have the end villain in a room with pressure switches activated by somehting he carries - he dies, drops the object, the game ends

A thing to watch out is on PC DM, it will then play the end of game video still

To see game ends in operation, the first one that comes to mind is Zyx's 'Conflux', there is a gathering of stairs and endings on ..the council level i think....
Oh, and the Diablo dungeon has something simpler on the last level
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Florian

Post by Florian »

thank you

I had already seen the "end pad" actuator but it didn't work easily.
In fact, as a floor actuator, I didn't managed to make it directly working.
As a wall actuator, I got it working well by being targetted by a "close" effect of another trigger (like for a counting pad)... I got the end screen with the list of heroes and their final skills then the end animation (DM PC of course).
I also tried to fuse Chaos with nothing else in the dungeon, and it ended as well, with blinking Chaos/White Lord then the Grey Lord appearance (very funny when you forgot to make Grey Lord as a monster for this level...), and finally the ending animation...

so both are possible in DM : fusing Chaos (if you have the Firestaff of course) or using an end pad...

Thank you for the "hextut" which I read quickly this week-end... I think I have not yet understood everything...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yup, the end game only works as a wall pad

Hextut isn't that useful directly for DMBuilder, but it will let you understand what's happenign in the background for things like toggling levelrs, triggers, etc

I can e-mail you (or I might make it generally available) the list of 'activate by item' objects needed to make 5/85 trigger objects work in DMBuilder
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

"generally available" is better :)

Thanks,
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

What's wrong with the hextut is that when you talk about actuators, you say x/8x actuator. Just saying x would be better, because the 8 comes from a bit for another value of the actuator (actually, the 8 is the lowest bit of the value, that's why there are 50% chances that it is 8x instead of 0x)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, there's alot more than that wrong with it : )

The thing is there is an entiiiiiiiiiiiiiire set of series as I've always thought (as far as i can work out, all the combinations of open or closed activated faces are played out, to make sixteen series of actuators!)
So I started mapping them, but haven't worked out a general rule, so it was working out each combination of the (256 - 16) by hand in DMute!
If I release a general one I'd love to do the double of the combinations with hex and the items for DMBuilder...I might just release as is though to let peopel see it so far

As for the word versus byte thing - I think since it's still easier to think in byte terms for Dmute
For example since 02 and 12 are different, i prefer to label it it 2/82 just to avoid DMuting confusion

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ok, uploaded the file, but unfortunately I think my trigger research is on a paper pad somewhere, or the file is seperate and moved/lost

I started at 85 ff, so i KNOW this goes all the way up to the end, making 16 series - anyone feel free to do the research as i don't think i will get to it anytime soon

Return to “Editors and Tools (DMute, DM Builder, ADGE, etc.)”