Editing RTC Font Color?

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
L!ghthouse
Craftsman

Editing RTC Font Color?

Post by L!ghthouse »

Does anyone know if there is a way to edit the color of the font in RTC to be a color other than light blue? A command in the txt file perhaps?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

This currently can't be overriden. The font is a bitmap and the engine colours the bitmaps according to which colour is required.

You might be able to persuade George to make this user-modifiable in future versions.
L!ghthouse
Craftsman

Post by L!ghthouse »

I was afraid that it wouldn't be editable.

So how about it George? :wink:
Can we have this feature implemented in the next revision of RTC? :D

PLEASE!!!??? :D :D :D
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

perhaps it was just me but I seem to remember.. when something happened to someone in DM or was it CSB? (on Amiga)
for example a level up.. it appeared in their colour down in the status line.. does this happen in RTC?

if so then most of that is there in the code and could simply be adjusted..

moo
L!ghthouse
Craftsman

Post by L!ghthouse »

Good point! RTC also changes colors (i.e. when a character gains a level, is resurected and such), so maybe it wouldn't be that difficult to change (or add to the editor) after all. :D
George?

Edit: That brings up another interesting point involving being able to change the color schemes of your characters. Is the color change in the message box (i.e. font color from light blue to red and then back to light blue) directly linked to the color of the character? If so, then wouldn't it be just as easy to change the color of your characters as it is to change the color that is being used in the message box?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, the colours used are Cyan, White, Red, Green, Blue, Yellow.

Perhaps there could be a section in the RTC file that looks something like this:

[Colours]
FLOORTEXT=255,255,255
MESSAGES=0,255,255
CHAMPION1=0,255,0
CHAMPION2=255,255,0
CHAMPION3=255,0,0
CHAMPION4=0,0,255

...where the three triplet values are the red, green and blue values respectively.

@Lighthouse: Not sure what you mean there. Standard messages are in cyan (light blue) for all champions ("Syra needs more practice with this priest spell...). Only messages that state "Syra has gained are Priest level" are coloured in the champion colour. Messages displayed when activating a floor text are displayed in white.
L!ghthouse
Craftsman

Post by L!ghthouse »

Gambit37:
You're right, what I mean is that if you are able to change the color of the character's display message, shouldn't you also be able to change the color of the character, provided that the two are using the same programming varriables?

I think that what you suggest for a format would work very nicely! :)
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

You can do all of this already!

When creating a new party simply select the change colours option (or whatever it;s called). You can even give yourselves rainbow coloured text then if you really want...

Have a look in the "Colours" directory of the install to see what the options are (the small square is the bitmap used for writing text with) and create any new ones you want!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ah -- I thought the small square was the one for the champion icon! That's good to know.

The only problem with this is the fact that it's still not possible to change the colours of the other messages, and it's still not possible to change any of this in a compiled .RTC file.... which is what Lighthouse is looking for I believe... (and me!) :)
L!ghthouse
Craftsman

Post by L!ghthouse »

Just confirming what Gambit37 has already posted. I was wondering about those colors. :D

That's great that we can change the colors of the characters, now how about the FLOORTEXT and the MESSAGES? Is there something that we can do to be able to edit the colors of them also? :D

(Maybe this should go into the suggestions page...? --oh well.)
L!ghthouse
Craftsman

Post by L!ghthouse »

When you change the colors of the characters, it only changes it with the utility that is included. There is no way that I can see to be able to change this so that when you first boot Dungeon Master (Original) [with the colors edited] {for example} that the characters you select, automatically become the colors that you preset.

Is there some way that we can get a feature added to include changing the default colors of the characters? (so that when you create a dungeon, the colors will default at what you set them as?)
L!ghthouse
Craftsman

Post by L!ghthouse »

*Bump

This comes over a year later and I am still having issues with it. :( I would like to change the font color for things like the Rune Selector, Weapon Ready, Messages and Floor Text.

Also as Gambit37 said, we would like the ability to change the character colors in the Editor/Text file instead of just in the DM Utility.

My suggestion (I'm not sure how possible this is...):
Under "Interface Graphics" of the editor, add five (replaceable) bitmaps

"Default Text"
"Character 1"
"Character 2"
"Character 3"
"Character 4"

The character bitmaps would just be the ones that are in the "Colours\Default" folder of the installation directory. The default text bitmap would be a similar bitmap (Except with three colours: light blue, dark blue, and white [for the Rune Selector with restricted runes, and the floor text]. What is the possibility of having this added to the next version of the editor? :D
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Done for V0.33