Character activated actuators?

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Character activated actuators?

Post by Gambit37 »

Here's something that could add lots of potential to more 'interactive' dungeons:

How about another optional attribute on FLOORITEM_TEXTs? One that denotes the character who might say something.

So for example, say I have a team including Gothmog in position 3 (red by default). I want him to 'say' something as he walks past an item, like Zyx has done in Conflux 2. The code might look something like this:

Code: Select all

100 FLOORITEM_TEXT x y z STATE=(INVISIBLE) TEXT=(I SENSE SOMETHING ODD ABOUT THIS WALL) OPTIONS=(CHARACTER3)
101 FLOORITEM_TRIGGER x y z OPBY=(PARTY)	ACTION=(ACTIVATE)	TARGET=(100)
Perhaps the message could be painted in the champion's colour and you could maybe automatically add the character's name in front?

In fact, I've just realised a better suggestion would be to simply add a new OPBY value for actuators, maybe CHARACTERX (from 1 to 4)?

In fact yes, this would be better, as you could then build different parts into a dungeon depending on how many champions the player has chosen.... lots o' fun!

Even better (yes I'm thinking about this as I type!), would be the ability to specify the character's name in the OPBY=() of any actuator (obviously this would only work with floor tiles).

I think the ability to do either would be cool. So if you want a general message about something in the dungeon, but want the thrid character to say it, then use:

OPBY=(CHARACTER3)
and if you want a specific character to say something then use

OPBY=(CHARACTER_GOTHMOG)
Wolud any of this be possible?
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

Splendid idea, it adds weight to the "Let us do everything with the engine" argument.
Don't be scene or herd!
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

I like the basic idea but am not happy with the "CharacterX" as a choice, since it would create a very "random" feeling. In Conflux II, hints are based on certain characters and their special abilities, but if it was implemented like you proposed any character happening the third one (for example) would give this hint. Maybe if the parameter was used for certain characters (parameter: their name) or types (you could specify characters as mainly mages, priests, etc...) or even a certain attribute level (any of the characters having a wisdom value of 70, for example), that would make more sense to me. I'd go for the last one - you could pass a vital hint several times without getting it and only receive it at a certain stage of experience.

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The randomness is exactly what I'm looking for, PitD! My proposal would allow specific character clues, and also random comments. Just for ambience really.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Ok, then I'll accept your wish. I was thinking along the lines of Conflux creating hints rather on a basis of certain abilities but if that's what you want, fine with me. What do you think about the skill height being a factor though? Like getting a hint to be able to bash a door when your strength is, say 60? Or allowing to pass through a certain area if your luck value is 60? :D I can imagine some pretty interesting concepts with that functionality...

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, I like that idea a lot, though it can be a bit contrived.

In the latest Tomb Raider game, The Angel of Darkness, they had this moronic thing where by you couldn't complete a puzzle except through becoming stronger. Most of the time it involved walking to the other end of the room, pushing a box, getting a message saying 'I feel stroinger now' then going back and completing the puzzle. You might as well just make the door open with a key for all the value it added to the game.

But this might work better in DM/RTC, especially if you only used it for bonus areas.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Exactly, I was just going to raise the "bonus area" example since that was what I had in mind. I'm very much influenced in my thinking by Conflux II style these days and in a dungeon like that there are simply a lot of additional inputs you may never need but that vastly enhance the fun - exactly for these kinds of dungeons this addition would be very interesting.

Regards, PitD
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

But keep 'character3' definitions too for, as said, ambiance
i must admit when i was thinking of RTC dungeons liek this, ratehr than conflux like hints, i was really imagining more eotb like random comments...i think both woudl be good, but character dpendant ones would the first choice for working on - similar to monster dependant switches
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Bumpity Bump -- Me want, me want, me want!
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Now done for V0.35.

When specifying text for walls / floors / scrolls in the txt file you can include certain key strings which will be substituted with character names when they're used in the game.

For example the string "HELLO %MEMBER_LEADER%. HOW ARE YOU?" will end up on screen as "HELLO ZED. HOW ARE YOU?" - you get the idea.

So far i've included the following key strings

- %MEMBER_RANDOM%
- %MEMBER_LEADER%
- %MEMBER_HEALTH%
- %MEMBER_STAMINA%
- %MEMBER_MANA%
- %MEMBER_FIGHTER%
- %MEMBER_NINJA%
- %MEMBER_PRIEST%
- %MEMBER_WIZARD%
- %MEMBER_STRENGTH%
- %MEMBER_DEXTERITY%
- %MEMBER_WISDOM%
- %MEMBER_VITALITY%
- %MEMBER_ANTI-FIRE%
- %MEMBER_ANTI-MAGIC%
- %LOCATION_X%
- %LOCATION_Y%
- %LOCATION_Z%
- %LOCATION_D%

Leader and random are obvious, the other member strings pick the name of the character in the party with the highest value of that stat. The location strings give the numerical party coordinates / direction. Let me know if you can think of any others that might be useful.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

is the OPBY=(CHARACTER_GOTHMOG) thing implemented too ?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Also added the following:

- %DAYS_TAKEN%
- %HOURS_TAKEN%
- %MINUTES_TAKEN%
- %SECONDS_TAKEN%
- %DAYS_LEFT%
- %HOURS_LEFT%
- %MINUTES_LEFT%
- %SECONDS_LEFT%
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

ohhh i guess here i have the answer of my previous post :)