GAME/EDITING: Critical error if weapon with runes

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

GAME/EDITING: Critical error if weapon with runes

Post by beowuuf »

At what stage is the support for weapons being allowed runes?
Twice I have tried to associate runes to a weapon (ok, all the runes to one weapon) and twice I have got this critical error:

*** CRITICAL ERROR (line 643, item reference 1040 - WEAPON_TORCH): Found additional parameter "14426128" on line number 643. Expecting only 6 parameters. Line begins with "1040 WEAPON_TORCH 10 6 0 NORTH CHARGE=(100) RUNES=(111111,111111,111111,111111)"

The first time the number was different, but that's the general idea...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You probably have a space instead of a tab.

If it's not that, then I suspect RTC can't handle an object with all the runes assigned to it. It certainly works with one or two runes assigned as I've tested it with no problems.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Done through George's editor
I also tried with only one row of power, plus not sure why it would complain since you have to declare 1 or 0 for each rune position, right?
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

I probably missed some thread here ... what exactly are the runes for when allowed on weapons? What is their function and how is it used by the player?

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Don't you remember our long discussion about spells, about two years ago? ;)

Runes are purely for the new RTC rules on magic using the spell book. One of the suggestions was to allow other items besides scrolls to carry runes. So you might have to find a fire sword to learn the FUL rune, before you can inscribe it in your spell book... :)

That's why I made the suggestion for extending the description of items so that you can which runes an item carries, by holding it up to your eye.

Of course, it can be more subtle than that -- maybe just by designing new images for some weapons that have the rune on them but no actual description...
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

I remember some ice spell proposal... *g* yes, but since when did the runes appear in the code? Was that a hidden feature existing already? Hmm, need to eat more garlic I think :wink:

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Not sure, think it was v0.12 that introduced the spellbook/runes so I imagine it's been possible since then! (August 2001!!!)

v0.16 was the first one to allow full editing, so I imagine this was the first time we could try it for ourselves. That was February 2002.

That's given me an idea for a sticky post. An RTC chronology. I'm on to it as we speak! :-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The prupose of runes on objects other than scrolls so you could have a sword that could give you not only the power to fireball indirectly (not a fury, but one that gave you say on ful ir), and also it seemed logical that if there were runes on items other than scrolls, you shoudl also be able to transcribe them into the spell book
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

I see the point, thanks both of you for the quick answers. So that means until you look at the item (weapon) or use it onto the spell book, you won't be able to use the rune, right? Is that ability restricted to weapons or can any old item be used for it?

Regards, PitD
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Thanks for the sticky post regarding RTC history, Gambit. Maybe links to code examples (already existant here) for some of the improvements would enhance it? I'm asking since it's locked so I cannot add something to it if I find it...

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Any item can have runes attached to it, but to use them they must all be dropped into the spellbook to inscribe the rune... There's a sample of this in my dungeon (the one that I uploaded but doesn't currently work!)

I'll work on code examples another time, I don't want to confuse the history post with other stuff. It's just a snapshot of the basic changes between each version.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

i thought you had the runes holding the object also?
Just the spellbook was easier than carrying aroudn a scroll of fireball...
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Yummy option. But very tricky if you keep forgetting what's possible already in RTC like I did :lol:

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@Beo: No, I believe that idea was ditched. AFAIK you have to inscribe the runes before they can be used.

Will test it out to be sure though.
WolfHeart
Apprentice

Post by WolfHeart »

[quote="PicturesInTheDark"]Thanks for the sticky post regarding RTC history, Gambit. Maybe links to code examples (already existant here)

Are you saying there is and area here that contains code examples for RTC??
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

To quote someone, you must have a closing end tag: [/quote] But it's not realy necessary when the posts are so close together. Juts use @Person's name to refer to their posts.

There are some examples of code dotted around this forum, mostly posted by myself or Andyboy. I think that's what PitD means.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Wolfheart: Unfortunately no, but scattered throughout the various threads some people like Gambit or Andyboy thankfully have left some examples. My question was if those could be unified by having one sticky post including the links and maybe 2 or 3 words of description. Seems not to have found many supporters so far ;)

Regards, PitD
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Just noticed this post - any chance that you can still repeat this error beowuuf?

If so, can you send me the txt file and I'll sort it out for you.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

ok, i'll try and recreate it
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Fixed for V0.29