Dungeon Master Codex Functionality

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

Should I delay the DMCodex by making it fully searchable?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:50 am

Yes
20%
No
20%
Don't bother adding a search facility
No votes
Get it online, then add the search later!
60%

Total votes: 10

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Dungeon Master Codex Functionality

Post by Gambit37 »

I've started doing some work on DMCodex again. I've been looking at adding a search facility to the site, but to do so I need to completely restructure the database -- it's not really accessible for searches in its current format. But.... this is a lot of work and will probably add several weeks to the development. The flipside of course, is that it will be easy to search for anything, and as the site will eventually grow quite large, this facility will probably be essential.

So, please answer the poll above! 7 days only!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I think it would be a good idea: after all we have all been waiting in suspense for long enough anyway, so a few more weeks/months shouldn't be a problem for hard core DM fans!
Keep up the good work,

Paul
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Hey, I just noticed you were a 'high lord'. So with a thousand or so more posts can I expect to be the same?! Or a Moo master, or even silent like the great bearded one Beowuuf himself. A long way to go methinks, an Artisan i shalt remain.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I don't need a search facility: I will read everything anyway!

You can still add it later.

Are you sure google will not be able to index your site?
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

I agree with Christophe: Your site will be invaluable in any case: if I assume correctly you are trying to get every last bit of information in there. So the search will be an enhancement but all the rest is valuable enough on its on to be available for the interested public.

Regards, PitD
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Err, just to explain: I voted "no" and saw the "get it online..." afterwards. From my point of view, this is the same thing. So count it for the last option if you want.

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Just to clarify, PitD, about the Codex. I'm not trying to get "every last bit of information" -- if that were the case, I'd end up duplicating the Encyclopedia. But I am trying to get lots of information about the background to the development of DM, and info about FTL.

I'm not really that interested in making a technical document about the inner workings of the game, and besides Christophe has done a great job on that already.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

We're probably meaning the same but talking in different directions. (English is not my native language, so although it's pretty good it may sound awkward or have the wrong meaning at times).

I was referring to the parts I've seen so far - monster compendium for example, which provides very detailed and quite different information than at the Encyclopedia, which is I completely agree a very valuable resource in itself and does not need copying. But to find out that many details you must have been digging in various files for a long time - that's were the assumption came from you tried to do it as perfect as possible.
Was rather meant as a compliment.

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ohh, missed that one. Thank you! Compliments are always nice! :)