Unable to get DM2 to work

Dead posts cluttering up the front page of certain non-RTC forums are kept here. Threads have the forum subject attached, except custom dungeon threads (which are obvious)
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
dawgmar98

Unable to get DM2 to work

Post by dawgmar98 »

I was curious to know if you could help me out. I have the original dungeon 2 program on disk. I really enjoyed it back when I purchased it. However with technology and Microsoft coming out with new versions of windows I am no longer able to get the game to work. As of last night I partitioned my HD so that I could install win95 with USB support was installed and keep my 2000 intact. I then installed DM2. When I run the setup to configure my video/sound cards the system seems to freeze up. I am able to do ctrl alt del to reboot which tells me the system is not locked just the program is hung. Do I need some other drivers for my sound/video cards? Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kris
Daniel (Sweden)
Craftsman

Post by Daniel (Sweden) »

Hello Kris!

You need an old soundcard to get DM2 to work, preferably a soundblaster or soundblaster 16. If you do have a new card in your machine it will be difficult to get it to work (DM2 is a very sensitive game). The easied way might be to download the Bootdisk available on this homepage (I dont know where exactly though). But you will still need a proper soundcard to get it to work.

The Best of Luck!

/Daniel (Sweden)

PS: What is your computer specifications by the way????
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Or use DOSBox -- many of us have had good success with it and DM2:

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=23483

At some point, I'll try and write a definitive guide for getting DM2 to work in Windows -- all the information is there in these posts, it just needs sorting and editing!

Post by Guest »

Thanks gambit and daniel. I followed the instructions you left. I am now able to hear sounds when testing but when I run skull.exe I get the following errors

Error[35]: Unexpected interrupt=0000 in DOS4GW.EXE at 0160:D8AE
code=0000 ss=0168 ds-0168 es-0168

ax=0005 bx=ff52 cx=0000 dx=0000 sp=220e bp=0000 si=0160 di=0000

Im not sure what to do at this point

I am running the following
Windows xp sp1
IBM thinkpad R31
Intel(r) Pentium(r) III
Mobile CPU 1133 MHz
1.13 GHz
120 MB of RAM

Any help will VERY MUCH appreciated.

Post by Guest »

Sorry forgot to sign-in the last reply was from Dawgmar98 not guest.
Thanks everyone

Dawg
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

you need to use dm2.bat, not skull.exe

Post by Guest »

OK just stamp the words stupid on my forhead. Running the DM2.bat run the program. No Ill start working on the sound problem.
Thanks everyone...

Dawg