Questions from zoom

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back for Windows and Linux, an unofficial port of Chaos Strikes Back to PC by Paul Stevens, as well as CSBuild, an associated dungeon editor.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Questions from zoom

Post by Paul Stevens »

From my private mail.
Some of you can probably address these things better than I.
It is strange, it seems as if there is sth. wrong with the instance of casting spells and movement. It happens that i am able to run into my very own fireballs! I did not play any atari version before , but i do not think this is normal. And so a high dex value i do not have.
Shooting is the same case, i can run into my own slayer projectiles, even when i wait a second (actually if the fireball/spell or a shot/thrown item (with the ACTIONBUTTON) is in the adjacent square) i am faster as it.
If i throw sth. off of the floor, it is NOT the case. and if i wait around two seconds, i am not able to catch up to the projectile/spell.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

that was the same in the atari-version, i often enough fried my own party by running in my own fireballs.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

And more questions
Hi there!
I enjoy "IMPRISONED AGAIN" (further revered to as "IPA") atm, using ver. 9.6plus15 of csbforwindows...
Everything is fine, except for these:
(I hope i do not bother you needlessly, having never played the game on an ATARI ST..)

A) The knights do not seem to have a move sound, attack is ok.
All other monsters seem ok. So maybe there is no monster move sound , again, i do not know if this is normal.

B( Invisibility spell does not alter the party formation icons. It should indicate the invisibility?!

C)( When i played one of the beginning levels of IPA, i was fighting mummies and all of a sudden, they did not turn in my direction.
I thought: hmmm, i have to save and then train..
but as i had saved, they turned and faced me and attacked normally. When they were like freezed, i could do everything.

keep the good work!!
Regards,
Sigi
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

A/B: there is no move-sound n the atari version, because it was shipped on DD (720 kb) discs. same counts for the invisibility icons.
C: i (creator of the dungeon) did nothing special about the mummies, so i can't say if there is anything wrong with them. of course, monsters have an "AI" and sometimes are a bit passive (especially when on low health, i decreased the life of some mummies after getting slaughtered all the time, maybe that's the cause) and don't tend to attack. it may be a coincidence that they attacked just after saving. if not, this needs further analysis. i bet on coincidende, though.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

may be a coincidence that they attacked just after saving
Perhaps not a coincidence. Monsters get reset when the party
changes level. They also get reset when the game is saved.
This last 'feature' was added by yours truly. Because the
monsters get reset when you load a saved game. In order to
be able to continue a saved game, recording it, and splicing it
to the recording that came before the save, I had to reset
the monsters when you do a save so that exactly the same thing
will happen when you play it back. See?

So their 'fear factor' would be reset to zero by the save.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

you live and learn.
:)
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Monsters do seem to 'freeze' sometimes, not very often, but it has happened to me many times. They unfreeze after a while, but do nothing for long enough to get quite a few free hits in.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

It is quite interesting that you do not know when the invisibility spell is over.. (-->who uses it anyway?)

I didn´t think the atari and the amiga versions were so much different from each other. Thank you guys.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Actually, there are a lot of difference between the Atari and Amiga versions:

1) Atari uses 16 colour palette, Amiga used 32. On the Amiga, objects in the cursor and the interface are drawn with one set of 16 colours, the dungeon view with the other 16. This means objects remain full coloured wherever the cursor is, and the dungeon can be dimmed without the fancy interrupt code of the St version.

2) On the Amiga the dungeon view was 'widened'. The furthest most walls to the sides of the player were brightened and redrawn which makes a 3x3 room more visible than on the ST version

3) Wall tapping and drinking directly from fountains -- most of you know about those.

4) The magic map and the 4 new map spells on the Amiga version, as well as the No Creature scroll.

5) Minor differences to the dungeon

6) All the extra sound effects

7) Different Hint Oracle graphics (purple instead of red, and better stonework)

8) Different Logo animation on some Amiga versions

9) Different Intro animation on the Amiga version with full music

10) Different entrance graphic to the prison (horned skull instead of a scroll in the Amiga version)

There could be more... anyone else?
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

In the amiga version you are able to hold an object in your hand and press the button next to doors to open them.

Is there a multilanguage version for the atari? eng french ger

Concerning wall tapping : in csbforlinux/windows9.6plus15 it is possible to punch walls*.
Is this not possible in the original atari version? So the bang your head style has some right for being used. :)
Invisibility spell is not indicated with a graphic
How do you know when the invisibility ends? No wonder there is a rumor about monster confusion spell.

Intro the same? Respectively Ending Sequence.

extra sound effects : horn of fear blow horn and warcry as well as monster moves.

When throwing or shooting objects with a character´s action and when casting a spell you are not able to run into them.
It is at the amiga version the same like throwing items from the floor.

Maybe there still exists a test version(you can loose hands), which is possibly based on the atari.

Well, that´s it from me.
@Gamibt37
Looking forward to your website being completely online !
<DmcodeX>
*maybe csbforwindows/linux could have some of these features of the amiga version included ? Or is this rather unlikely to happen?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

In the Amiga version you could hit your own spells and thrown items.. at least the one I own.

moo
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

:oops:
Sorry for the wrong info, it´s been a while since i played it on the amiga !!!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

How about the size of the dust clouds when a monster is killed.
Any differences?

Return to “Chaos Strikes Back for Windows & Linux (CSBWin) / CSBuild”