The mystery of the appearing mummy and super hard screamer!

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Steve-B

The mystery of the appearing mummy and super hard screamer!

Post by Steve-B »

Hi

Some strange things happened when I played the original (version 3.6) Amiga release of Dungeon Master. I'd selected just Halk and I was on level 2. I was near location 15 ((30,15) Gold Key, Apple) and had just walked past the teleport field. The first strange thing that happened was when I walked past the field I stopped and turned round and a mummy had appeared as if my magic standing in front of the teleport field. Very odd. That's never happened to me before. Anyone else?

The second strange thing was the super touph screamer. I found him on the same level near location 13 ((13,19) Gold Key) where the gang of screamers hang out. He was the last one left and was as hard as nails. He didn't do much damage to me but boy did he take some punishment. I must have inflicted about 500 damage points before the git would die. The others had taken one or two hits. This one needed about 6 hits. That is one super hard screamer! :) Is this normal? Anyone else met any genetically enhanced super hard monsters?

Steve B
Steve-B

Post by Steve-B »

Oh just to clarify the first point. I wasn't in the location 15 room. I had just walked past the teleporter that takes you to location 15. The mummy magically appeared in front of that teleporter field. Very strange. :)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

both of them happened to me, only in the amiga version too !
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

the mummy at that area can also go in and out of the teleporter to the other room, so he obviously walked in and out again once you had passed - i've had trhat happen a few times, i've even telefragged him once : )

the super-hard screamer - 6 hits isn't that much, 500 health damage is, but i'd be surprised if you coudl do that in six hits!

the only super screamer is the one near the end of levl 2, not sure if this is the one you mean. it's on it's own with a gang of four close, and has about 350 health
Diriyando
Novice

Post by Diriyando »

yep, i know this screamer from my amiga versions (3.6 on macuae and a very early german version on my original amiga) and he leaves a throwing star when he is killed.
Steve-B

Post by Steve-B »

Diriyando wrote:yep, i know this screamer from my amiga versions (3.6 on macuae and a very early german version on my original amiga) and he leaves a throwing star when he is killed.
Yes that's him. The one at the end of level two. Maybe I slightly exaggerated when I said 500. :P 350 sounds more about right. They've deliberately made him super tough. A lot tougher than the others. He must be like the leader or something. So are there any other one-off leader type super-tough monsters in the game?? There must be some others...

Steve B
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Not that I can think of in DM right now...CSB has a tough demon amongst the others o nthe last level, obviously Chaos's right hand man or something...
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

beowuuf wrote:Not that I can think of in DM right now...CSB has a tough demon amongst the others o nthe last level, obviously Chaos's right hand man or something...
Yes, i restarted playing CSB a few days ago and met him yesterday : i had to go away !!! :shock:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yehas, that guy annoyed me too...there are lots of other nasties aroudn i can take out quicker, then he showed up and it's like 'go away! i have a key already! you are blocking my two square cheese!'
Wil

Post by Wil »

The tough screamer is in all versions I believe. Indeed I would be very surprised if he fell just after one shot, it's a real habit, I know it's going to be hard. It is designed to tire your fighters out just before the 6 mummies behind the crate. You must deserve end of level 2.

The mummy: if that's the one in the "take a ride" place, it happens in all versions too.

I wonder if some rocks aren't tougher than others. There's this one in level 3, the guardian.
Sandman
Apprentice

Post by Sandman »

Yes, I've encountered rockpiles that were tougher.
Just wondering how nice it would be if these leaders were colour-different :D
creating balance since 1987