Guide to RTC Structure/Editing (old RTC versions)

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

It's from the Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien, which is the beautiful mythology behind the Lord of the Rings.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Sorry Everyone, I have been really lax (on the guide - been really busy at work) so nothing much has changed, I forsee some beer drinking tonight and a busy couple of days Friday and Saturday. I really promise to try and do something more on it on Sunday.

Sorry for the delay in the next version.
Regards,

Andy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

@lunevar: aha, i got about as far as the first page, but i was quite young at the time...haven't gone back to it since, i probably should for the whole background and histories....
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Beo: But I suppose you've read LoR? (I'm not talking about that movie)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, yah, about three or four times through when was a kid, plus the hobbit, and i kept trying to start it another few times later on...speaking of which, i still have to read it again beause of those darn films!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well, if you like LoR, you might find the Silmarillion very interesting.
madeducator
Novice

Bochs...

Post by madeducator »

Being a newbie, I probably shouldn't try stuff that is over my head. However, the idea really intrigued me so I had to go look at it.

Andy, how does one configure Bochs to play DM or DM2? I can see all the options, but haven't a clue how to make the necessary changes.

If this post would be better sent elsewhere, please let me know. I don't want to flood the list with questions that don't fit the topics.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Regards,

Andy
scorch
Neophyte

Post by scorch »

Andy i have a document for you. I don't really know how far you've got with your Editing manual but i started an object reference guide for my self and have put it up on a site for people to download.

Anyone interested should use this link and right click then save it to their hardrive.

http://www.eyedomain.co.uk/RTC_Object_Guide_v.0.1.doc

In this i have put all the objects i have found in the game. I will admit that the listing is far from complete there are a few things that i still need to find and sort out.

As well as objects i have listed all the bitmap identifiers i have discovered for the various objects as well as sound objects.

The Damage types have been included seperated into ones that can be used for items or creatures.

If anyone can help me find the following items i would be grateful as i want to completely redraw all the graphics for my own pleasure such as a futuristic graphic set as well as a 24bit graphics set.

i need to find out the naming structure for:

* dungeon items such as thrown_from, thrown_to, thrown_side
* the graphics for the blue teleporter haze
* the graphics for magical explosions and clouds such as poison, open door, fireball
* the character sheet graphics including open chests and injuries
* the most annoying is the empty objects such as empty bolt blade*and another annoying one is how to find the symal jewel necklace or illumulet that changes icon when worn (think its that one anyway)
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Hey scorch,

That is a fantastic piece of work, there is loads of details in there.

Do you have any issues with me using the information in there for use with the guide and the editor (full credits given of course). There is a load of useful stuff in there that I think I could use.

I recommend that everyone who wants to edit RTC has a look at that little gem of a document.

Thanks for this great contribution.

Also, Like the style of the document, Great minds and all that :)

With regard to the graphics you are looking for regarding worn items, check out torch items, Im sure there is a convert_to property which the item changes to when the charges run out. That object itself can have charges too and a convert to. I think that is how the water flask works, try and find an example of that. or a torch, this does the same :)
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi Scorch

This is good stuff! Here are a few initial comments after a very quick read through:
Item parameters
Optional: CHARGE
Description: Indicates how many times the item can be used, the power of the item used in the case of potions or the length of time the item lasts while activated
Accepts: Numerical value
Not sure the third part of the description is correct. How did you find this out? As far as I'm aware, spell/potion/torch durations are hard-coded and can't be specified in this way.

Regarding bitmap placement:
Required:POSITION
Description:Indicates the position of the bitmap on screen relative to the onscreen placement point.
This is the top left corner of the screen for interface bitmaps and the top left corner of the view area for in dungeon items.
Accepts:Comma separated numerical onscreen co-ordinates [x, y]
This is not correct. The placement coordinates vary depending on the type of object. For example, wall items and monsters are placed from the center of the dungeon view. George is the only person who can clarify this at present. I've done lots of experimenting here, but it's quite inconsistent...
scorch
Neophyte

Post by scorch »

cheers guys,

andy
please do use the info if any is of help. i might expand each object description so that they each have full specs for object definition and proprties to set when placing in the dungeon.

gambit
the third part of the charge was experimentation, i was looking at the torch item placement settings in the DM files and noticed they were set to 100 and assumed that this meant they would run out when they get to 0. i have put items in experimental dungeons and although a warning comes up about it not being a standard charge, ie. bolt_blade likes 13 i think, if you set it up with 1 charge it runs out after 1 lightning_bolt. as for potions need to work out what charge rating it is but i found that if you gave a charge value to a potion you could set the level of the potion. i'll do some more experiments to check but i'm pretty sure its right.

I should probably include info on which damage attacks i have found that remove a charge point from an item as well.

as for the position value thanks for that, i should probably have realised that because the creatures move around i'll try and get more fixed co-ordinates to work from and include those.

let me know if you notice anything else and i'll sort it out.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Aah, I didn't make myself clear about the CHARGE settings. What I was referring to was this line in your description:
...or the length of time the item lasts while activated
DURATIONS for spells, torches, potions (regardless of charge) are hard-coded . That's what I was referring to. You should change your descriptions accordingly (this comes up in several places in your doc)

Also, you have a question in your doc about TIMINGS. All you need to know is that any DELAYS are measured in 1/6 of a second, so DELAY=(6) is 1 second.
scorch
Neophyte

Post by scorch »

Ok i've just checked the CHARGE=(XXXX) settings for items and found that for potions:

CHARGE=(0-24) is a LO power potion
CHARGE=(25-43) is a UM power potion
CHARGE=(44-62) is a ON power potion
CHARGE=(63-74) is a EE power potion
CHARGE=(75-87) is a PAL power potion
CHARGE=(88-100) is a MON power potion

I tried the CHARGE=(1) on a WEAPON_TORCH and i could count to roughly twenty before it called the CHANGE_TO command, and i could count to roughly 80 when i tried CHARGE=(10). You just have to ignore the warnings RTC gives.

Oh and they cannot have a charge of more than 100.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Just to confirm. CHARGE indicates number of users left for nearly all standard items (swords, magic boxes etc etc). For potions and torches however it's a percentage strength (interpreted in the obvious way for potions as Scorch has listed above, and brightness/time-left for torches).

Incidently the percentage thing is also used for shooters where a value of 0-100 determines how powerful the thing it shoots is.
madeducator
Novice

Bochs

Post by madeducator »

Wow!
This is indeed complicated stuff for my tired brain to grasp at the moment. (After all, I just figured out how to place a mirror w/champion successfully in my latest dungeon!! LOL.)

Thanks for the link. I've saved the info for when I have enough time to work on it again.

:)
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

You're welcome.,

best to have a fast machine if you intend to run it in bochs. ;)

Cheers,
Regards,

Andy
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

Any clue if there's an alt link for the RTC definitive guide Andy was working on? The freewebs link is down, probably has been for a while but I hadn't tried before :P

Thanks in advance.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

http://www.freewebs.com/andyboy_uk/rtcEditingGuide2.htm
Anybody_uk , that page You gave doesn`t work !
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Ah bugger, they have taken down my free site. Dont suppose anyone has a copy of the word version do they that I can reupload to another site?

A
Regards,

Andy
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

*prays they do* :(
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Freewebs wrote:Accounts with no logins and no hits for 60 days will be removed.
You need to keep these things active! I might have a copy somwhere, not sure. I'll check it out when home and host it if I find it.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Funnily I can't find it with a search...I have a funny feeling I just checked out the website...
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

Thanks Gambit, it would come in really handy that's for sure.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Hmm, I may have a copy at home somewhere, will look over the weekend, its still mostly valid but there are several editors that will make is much easier. The doc was for TEXT editing of the dungeons.
Regards,

Andy
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

Good, would love a copy still lol
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Andy, send it to Gambit or myself and we will post it here so it doesn't go away anymore ;)

moo
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Will do (when I get a chance to look for it) - Im away this weekend and im travelling a lot in my new job. But they have given me a shiny new laptop that I can take around with me :)

Thanks Cows,
A
Regards,

Andy
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

so... any progress?
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

What he said ^^

Don't mean to keep nagging about it or anything, just from experience on other forums if things don't get bumped once in a while then nothing will ever come of it (sometimes).

I'll leave you alone now lol :twisted: