GAME/EDITING: PROBABILITY and SOUNDS

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

GAME/EDITING: PROBABILITY and SOUNDS

Post by Gambit37 »

To create ambient, random sound effects I'm using floor triggers with the following attributes:

1) Probability 5%
2) No target
3) No action
4) A water drip sound effect

The water drip plays EVERY time the pad is stepped on. I would have thought it should be played ONLY when the probability is matched.

Can this be changed?

Or better still, add an ambient sound effect trigger....
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

That's clearly wrong. It should only be played 1 in 20 times (on average).

Presumably I've put the "play sound" code outside the "check to see if it's triggered" if test. Doh.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

This is still broken in v0.34 -- sounds play every time regardless of probability setting.
Pedro
Journeyman

Post by Pedro »

I'm not sure it's actually wrong. Take under consideration a lock and lockpicks. You should hear a "click" sound each time while using lockpicks on the lock regardless the probability. The same reffers to pressure pads, buttons, etc. Maybe you should consider another approach to enable an ambient effects. It could be availible in Levels->Edit options ?

P.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Good point. All the more reason to have ambient sounds! See my other posts on this....
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

GG, we archived this thread after pedro argued my point was unfounded. However, if the whole ambient sounds/music thing is a massive task, as a concession, would you consider adding a trigger parameter that plays the sounds according to the probability setting? This would go some way to adding one-shot ambient sounds to a dungeon.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Gambits original suggestion is now handled by the ambient sound object in V0.35.

The current behaviour of triggers (i.e. always playing the sound, but only doing the action if the probability is right) as pointed out by pedro is therefore preserved.