Star Trekkin' across the universe

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Star Trekkin' across the universe

Post by Gambit37 »

(Split from this topic: http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 2237#52237)

I thought you were referring to "The 37's" and got the number wrong -- that was a neat Voyager episode with Amelia Earheart in it and a whole bunch of other people who'd been nabbed by aliens...
Last edited by Gambit37 on Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yep I remember that one...and at the end the people on the planet said anyone from Voyager could stay if they wanted, so the Captain said if anyone did they had to report to Cargo Bay 2 but when she went with Chakotay to see who was there, if was empty :).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That was the end of season one, wasn't it?
THE Materializer
Apprentice

Post by THE Materializer »

I'm glad I'm not the only Trekkie thats also into DM, its a comforting thought. :D

That episode was in the 2nd season.
-+ THE ~ Materializer +-
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That was the end of season two, wasn't it?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

shhhh
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I'm not a proper Trekkie, just someone who likes Star Trek. I haven't seen many TNG episodes and I never got into DS9...the originals are good for a laugh nowadays though, I enjoy Voyager (though I've not seen 'em all...saw up to about Season 4 or 5 then saw the last ever episode) and am watching Enterprise atm.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ooh, no, DS9 is really good apart from all the 'praise the prophets' stuff that annoyed me as the series went on.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I think I didn't like it much 'cause (from what I saw of it anyway...never watched a full episode) it was mainly just set on the space station and involved the goings-on there, rather than exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life and new civilisations...
Well I suppose technically the Voyager crew weren't exploring so much as trying ro find the way home, and the Enterprise crew (Enterprise the series that is, ie Captain Archer) have their specific mission throughout this series (not saying in case anyone hasn't seen it that wants to). But they're still finding new stuff and...stuff. Or something.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, the space station was right on the mouth of a worm hole to the unexplored gamma quadrant, so you had them going off to see weird things, or weird things coming to them
Then in the end there was lots of WAR
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

When I was a kid, we would watch TNG and none of us would be allowed to speak except during commercial breaks. My mother was very enthusiastic about her Star Trek. DS9 was okay but never quite had the same magic, and I haven't liked too much of what I saw of Voyager. I support Enterprise because Scott Bakula (the guy from Quantum Leap) is in it and I support him, but I've never seen it.

On the other hand, my best friend has the entire boxed set of Babylon 5 and we're watching it bit by bit, and as much as my childhood allegiances go to Star Trek, Babylon 5 is a superior product in almost every possible way. It's fun.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I like B5 for the huuuuuuge story arc and the characters/actors, but there was always something about the interactions of characters that didn't grab me as much.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

TOS is pure classic, I love seeing it and laughing like a madman because of the special effects or gigantic plotholes. Still, I love the characters and sometimes even the stories - it's just classic.
I still consider TNG as one of the best TV series ever made - the characters, storylines, effects, it just had it all. I started watching DS9 but was bored as hell by it. Dozens of people told me that it gets way better later on and that I should definitely watch it, but so far, I couldn't force myself to do so. Voyager was okay in my book, while Enterprise... wasn't. So, TNG all the way!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

DS9 starts really slow...basically like TNG did, but season two gets good, and season three is fantastic... etc
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

Personally, I rank the series TNG, TOS, DS9, VOY, ENT... With ENT being so far behind that it's in a different sector altogether ;)

Old movies: ST2, ST6, ST1, ST4, ST3, ST5. ST5 sharing the sector with ENT.

New movies: First Encounter, Insurrection, Nemesis, Generations

Computer games: Judgement Rites, 25th Anniversary, Generations (these are only ones I've played)

On the whole B5 beats Trek, but both are good and there's room for both :)
Toni Ylisirniö
Author of Grave of King Millias, Return of Chaos, and DM2 dungeons.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

When you say "First Encounter", do you mean "First Contact"? The TNG one with the Borg?
I think I saw an episode of Babylon 5 in Media when we did Sci-Fi. I think it was Babylon 5 anyway...I didn't think too much of whatever it was anyway, it was kind of tacky and predictable imho. It was on this space station and there was a dude with big hair called Veed or Veer or something and there was some alien on board who did "magic" and had like a big illusion demon thing to scare some other bloke with who wanted to get money or something out of him. Meanwhile there was this other species having some kind of annual ritual fighting thing where half of them wore green bands and the other half wore purple bands and they nearly killed one of the female officers on board the space station but in the end she got pissed off and took one of the leader sashes and so the fighting people obeyed her 'cause she took the other one too. And there was this paranoid chief-of-security bloke who saved her when the fighting people were gonna chuck her out the airlock or something.
Again, I can't remember if that was Babylon 5 or not...we watched an episode of several different Sci-Fi series.
What about Farscape? Anyone watch that? Even though it's finished now, /sob /cry /mourn :( :( :(.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, that's a B5 episode...eh, you jsut have to get into it.

And I love Farscape. A friend calls it 'muppets in space' but I haven't found a hatchet to teach him the error of his ways yet. Loved it! Why'd they get rid of it? The characters and character arcs were cool dammit!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah I love Farscape, wootage! :D :D :D Pilot is lovely, and I liked Talyn (/mourn), and Moya of course...and Aeryn, and Scorpy was a good baddy (if you know what I mean), and Harvey was funny and the DRDs were cute and and and...
Yeah, I could go on :D.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I love watchign the first series and start of second and seeing the charatcer progression of John especially above the rest - you get the cool turning points in his character, sometimes pretty subtle

Plus you have to love a show where, rather than everyone set up against each other and they are all friends like two shows later, the crew does bond, but is also at times selfish and distrustful several seasons in.

Farscape was cool dammit!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

And, as far as I could see, they did maintain proper continuity between episodes and between seasons - you didn't get, like, a character in one episode eating a type of food which was apparently poisonous to them in a previous episode or something...
Okay, so Scorpy managed to survive getting shot and blown up and stuff about fifty times, but as was said at least once, "He always survives". Nasty git :P.
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

Ameena wrote:When you say "First Encounter", do you mean "First Contact"? The TNG one with the Borg?
Sorry, yes. First Contact. I wonder what my mind was thinking when it turned "contact" to "encounter"... :p

And yes, that was a B5 episode "Geometry of Shadows". The biggest problem with B5 is that it should be watched in order and from the beginning. Otherwise much of the impact is lost since it's very heavily backward and forward referencing show. Much of the good in the show is how the people grow and change - the reset button is never pressed after an episode. It's like a long book instead of a "regular" TV show really. ;)

In addition Geometry of Shadows was an episode which has very heavily divided opinions on wether it's good or bad. You either like the episode or you don't. :)

Farscape was pretty good too, though not one of my favourites.
Toni Ylisirniö
Author of Grave of King Millias, Return of Chaos, and DM2 dungeons.