Creating [spoiler] tags for the forum

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Creating [spoiler] tags for the forum

Post by Gambit37 »

This thread was created by splitting replies from this thread: http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=23869

Your spoily highlight thing doesn't work if one has chosen a different skin... I can read the text straight away on the codexDark and subSilver skins.
Last edited by Gambit37 on Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

Well, it's better than nothing, and you need to explicitly do something for it to fail... So by default it works. ;)
Toni Ylisirniö
Author of Grave of King Millias, Return of Chaos, and DM2 dungeons.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Good point!

I'll have a look at adding a
Spoiler
tag to the BBcode options which picks up the styling from the skin. Shouldn't be too tricky.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

That's a great idea Gambit! This could also be very helpful if someone gets stuck in a custom dungeon (read: Conflux II). A player might search older threads to see if someone else came up with the same question, and if the hints/answers have this spoiler tag, there is no danger of reading something one shouldn't. That sort of reminds me of the old hintbooks for the Infocom text-adventures, anyone remember them?

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more I like it. In fact, this could lead to some sort of "official hintbook" for any custom dungeon. Whenever a player has a question, it can be added to the hintbook, and the author or somebody else can pose several hints with the spoiler tag, with the hints becoming more and more explicit. The author of the dungeon could also add some "wrong" questions as red herrings, so that players hopefully only read the questions they personally have. I think this could be great, especially since it would be sort of a growing project that expands as more and more players have more and more questions. What does everyone else think of this idea?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I saw on other fora a system where text zones inside a post are collapsed, and you can expand them at will by clicking on a plus sign. I guess it's not possible here?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

certainly would be nice.. then you could open the thread and then have blocks of text you could choose to read or not..

I think that's a major overhaul though.. I doubt if it's as simple as a adding a file or what have you..

moo
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

adding new bbcodes is quite doable, i added h1-h5 in a board after reading how to add [center]. if you can add one, you can add 100s and the spoiler-box would only need some background=text-color setting, so you have to mark the text with the mouse to read it. that's afaik the simplest solution.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Just digging up this thread as I am curious if adding such spoiler tags can be done without too much effort? I still think this would be a great idea, and if it is possible, I would like to work on a "hintbook" for DM and possibly CSB.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It's straightforward, I simply haven't had the time since I moved house. I'll look at it soon though.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*bump*
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Hey have a look at this : https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/m ... on=firefox
I don't really see it picking up too well though... How do you force IE users to use
Spoiler
tags if they don't get the benefit ? This stuff should be integrated to the forum script. Could be a nice idea to submit a request to the phpBB development team, if it hasn't already been done.