level 3

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
frank needs help

level 3

Post by frank needs help »

:oops: i can not get passed the door that takes you to the worms. i am not over loaded help me .
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

Stand on the pressure plate, look at left wall. Remember that you will need to move with keyboard instead of mouse. Good luck.
Toni Ylisirniö
Author of Grave of King Millias, Return of Chaos, and DM2 dungeons.
alain

level 3

Post by alain »

got the same problem than frank but even using the keyboard i cannot get through that door that leads to the worms. I'm playing DM now for nearly 16 years but never had this problem. please need help.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Like Toni Y said: Stand on the pressure plate that opens the door. Turn left and look at the wall. You should see a little switch there. Press it, and you will be teleported near the door. Immediately take two steps to the right on the keyboard. You will probably sustain some damage from the door crushing on your head.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

What platform? And do you have any red bodyparts denoting injuries to your body that will also slow you down
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I still frequently fail this! And usually take a bonk on the head from that door. Don't hold the key down as you get that little lag (depending on your settings) so just tap it twice quickly in succession with your other hand.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I normally get a bit of a bonking too...bloody doors, rude things :P
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

The first part of the worm level scares everyone. I just think of this fact as you mentioned the door banging on your heads.

It´s just a rather steep increase of difficulty. You get an axe, which is quite powerful, and encounter the first ghost as well as a wasp, which basically encorporates a living giant poison cloud.

The "trap" saps your health, just before you encounter powerful monsters(pairs of them), not seen up to this point before.
(you thought the Trolins were tough? You regarded stone heaps as being poisonous? face THE worm, which gives a mocking foodvale for the effort you have to put into defeating them, just what Lord chaos´ wicked style is all about... Not easily scared away, never have they had enough.

I wonder where they got the sound sample of the worm. Bottomless maw, rending teeth, it sounds like a sink. *SHIVER* Some how appropriate

"Whoa. This game is just so great (In the voice of Homer Simpson)"

Food is scarce and water is not immediately reachable. This is a hack´n´slash level, which breaks many a player´s neck.
Very nice level. This game is AWESOME.
This is a slightly off-topic thread about the worm level threat. :twisted:

@frank needs help:
hope you got passed that door.
Then you will be known from now on as: frank got help
In the meantime I will refer to you as : frank gets help.
I am crazy, forgive me. I could not resist. The nick just cries for change.;)

Post by Guest »

Hi folks.

Is that the only way? darn.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

'Fraid so. You oculd simple use an editor like DMute to open the door or move the party to the other side - there is a lever there that reopens the door.
MetaPhysik
Neophyte

Post by MetaPhysik »

I had problems with that door, until I realised that Num Lock on my keyboard was preventing me from sidstepping. So instead of pressing 3 I was pressing pg Dn.
With sidestep it was a doddle.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Well that would help.(To Meta Physik)
I'm a boy, unlike my avatar.
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

I think that's the floor I got to and couldn't ever get far into. The presence of a wasp and a ghost, and the overall difficulty level you're describing ... to all of you who are stuck there, I've never ever gotten past there. If you manage it, tell me so I can perhaps feel inspired to try again.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

I have gotten past that level. It is difficult, especially with the generators. My handbook says not to retreat or you'll find monsters where they weren't before. And yes, there is only one wasp and one ghost.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, sounds like you need aversion therapy. Just walk upto a set of worms, with the sound low, and let them kill you. Then, do it again. Then do it, but try to walk a=round a bit before you let them kill you. Then maybe try to heal one party member for a while before they kill you. Then hack at them and move aroudn and heal your party and kill the worms! Yes! Death to all worms!

Actually, you don't do yourself too much of a dis-service retreating as long as it is not too far away for most of the level. Have a single poison bolt read for the wasp, and a des ew for the ghost. Otherwise passed the first grate, when you find the worms walk back to the grate, close it on the worms, and fight them all the way aroudn the start of the level in peace. You should then have enough peace to walk back to the grate, and start exploring the level - kill the ghost/wasp if it finds you, and otherwise jsut do a 2 square dance around each worm set you find. There should be a rest room a little way into the level where you can set up a new base camp. Before you know it - level 4(5) with the snakes - and you can just run right passed that one if you must : )
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

And remember, button doors are your friends! I have no idea where any button doors are on that level, but if you see one, mark its location in case you need to come back later when running away screaming from a large group of Purple Worms. It may not gain you levels, but if you like, you can just kill the worms with the door.
It seems weird that people are having so many problems with this level...but I won't show off. I mean, they're probably doing without the use of a hints and tips book ;).
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Well to be honest, I never made it through that level!
with one party member that is....
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

This is possibly the hardest level relatively speaking. If you are not powerful enough to throw a Lo powered poison bolt at the wasp, freeze it with a magic box I hope you have saved then repeatedly throw your axe at it. The ghost again only requires the lowest of spells to kill it. Or just run round it. A lot of the worms can be ran around too, just remember to close doors after yourself and make sure you have manoevering room if you do meet some more. Beware of the screamers that populate behind you mid level.

Worms can bite very quickly, so as was said above if you must fight, use a nice big room and run around their backs. At the end of the level, 4 pairs are released. I recommend fighting the first 3 pairs and dodging the last. A good fighter and Melee with that axe is the optimal method. If you plan to come back, kill them all. The screamer room is nice, and you can train here first.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Remember, poison clouds can go through doors. When I discovered that, I was at the door that started this thread and I decided to practice my spell before opening up to the wasp which was right behind the door. Then I cast it, it went through, and killed the wasp. Wow. Accidental Discovery!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Also, you can use a gold key to activate a monster blocking teleporter - if you can run aroudn them, you can trap the wasp/ghost in the start of the level

And yes, if you lure the wasp to the grate, you vcan take it out safely : ) Though it is fast so can be annoying!
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

I don't know, I never lured it, I just found it there. Just luckily it wasn't the ghost, because that can go through doors.