Lua Scripting?

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Lua Scripting?

Post by Sophia »

Lua is fairly easy to embed, and it would allow a lot of added functionality while making the dungeon designer do most of the work (so as not to be a huge burden to implement!)

Have a look: www.lua.org
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Given all of the talk about DSA-like features in RTC, custom spells, and whatnot, I'm going to give this one a bump!

If it seems like a lot of work, I, for one, would be happy to help, too.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Haven't looked at the thing yet, but pushing all the work to the designer sounds a god idea... DSAs and any macros and scripting definitely allow alot of cool twists, even from simple building blocks
copperman
Um Master

Lua implementation

Post by copperman »

After having a look round the Lua site and also at a few of the projects using Lua, I heartily support this request. If implemented well it could allow endless design possibilities including: MOB ambushes, item generating alcoves, ropes that let you climb UP. I use these examples because these are things people have suggested as additions to RTC. Implement Lua and the designer can add these features themselves.
Don't be scene or herd!
JCG
Mon Master

Post by JCG »

Sophia, if you need a scripting language, you should also consider Tcl/Tk. The language is extremely powerful with all the available extensions (libraries), mature, ported on all main platforms ( Win, Mac, Linux), readily interfaced with C, there is a large and active community around it, and it's free / open source.
It's my preferred solution for developing small/medium graphical applications, when the full-blown capabilities of C/C++ or Java are not necessary. You can develop very rapidly small application with just a few lines of code.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I tend to prefer the syntax employed by Lua. But that's just me.

If Tcl/Tk is what makes it in, then, I will support that as well!

Any scripting language is going to be better than none. :D