Stonekeep, Anvil of Dawn

Got a favourite DM type game? Enjoy Eye of the Beholder? Adore Amberstar? Cherish Captive? Discuss these and more here!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Stonekeep, Anvil of Dawn

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I'm rather surprised nobody mentioned these. They came out around the same time — Stonekeep received considerably more press than Anvil of Dawn for some reason, although they're both extremely good games. If you're into puzzles, AoD is probably the better choice, but I think SK has better atmosphere (and the best game soundtrack ever composed, in my opinion; Brian Luzietti also did the intro/outro music for DM2).
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I've mentioned Stonekeep before from time to time. I've also mentioned the hint book for it at least once, because I think it's the best hint book I've found for any game in the info that's given and the way it's laid out. The game itself is very cool as well of course - Skuz is sweet and I think Vermatrix Goldenhide is very cool :D.
Adept

Post by ParuNexus »

heh ironically i had a better time playing stone then skull keep. i have the real cd someplace.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

I`ve never played that. Is that an old game? If not, what are the requirements? Thx
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Old DOS game but runs fine on my comp in the DOS prompt thing without needing DOSbox. Last time I played it was a couple of months back. Very cool game - sort of similar to DM in that you move around dungeon corridors in squares. However the interface is a bit different (no arrow keys to click on - you must use the keyboard, also your inventory space is unlimited and no weight limit and stuff), also the dungeon isn't all the same colour - there's an ice level and a big palace place and stuff. There's a secret right near the beginning where you can get a really cool dagger on, like, the first level :D.

Post by Selur »

Hi

btw: Stonekeep have very good graphics.
Is anyone heard about something like 'graphics-extractor' to StoneKeep ?
Chish
Apprentice

Post by Chish »

STONEKEEP! YES!

I first played Stonekeep when I was around 7 or 8 (yeah, I'm probably younger than you people, wasn't even ALIVE when Dungeon Master came out!), my Grandmother had let my family borrowed it. Being that young, the game scared the crap out of me. Especially The Thing. But I loved it. I played it until I got to the Throg Temple, in one day, but I was too scared to continue. I stopped there.

Some number of years later, I bought the "Interplay 15th Anniversary Celebration" pack, which was really old, on eBay. Payed $20 for it. All I wanted was Stonekeep. I've got a shotcut on my desktop which runs DOSBox with a home-made .config file perfect for Stonekeep.

The game had a very strong impact on me, I still get the willies when I play it. But it's a pretty damn good game. Very damn good.

However, I never got the chance to read Thera's Awakening, the book that came with it. It only came with the actual game, not the 15th Anniversary Edition. I'm still sad about that.

You know, they almost made a sequel... but they decided the original + book were good enough on their own...

I still play Stonekeep, using DOSBox. If you want, I might be able to post my dosboxsk.config file online.
Chish, owner of the most out-of-place Avatar on this site.
My homepage. -- Updated as of 06/11/06! Yay!
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

Chish wrote:However, I never got the chance to read Thera's Awakening, the book that came with it.
You didn't really miss anything.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Payed $20 for it.
:shock:
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Chish
Apprentice

Post by Chish »

The bastard that I bought it from had a sick sense of humor. They left the price tag on it. It said $9.99.

Two or three days after I bought it, it was also hosted online at the Home of the Underdogs. I suspect it was the person I bought it from that put it up there, because Fate has a funny way of doing that to me.

Luckily, I'm pretty good about not getting pissed off at stuff like that.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I paid $45 for the Interplay Ultimate RPG Archive. The only good game in it was Stonekeep, which I'd already bought long before. Talk about a jack.

If you only played to the Temple of Throggi, you're missing the Gate of the Ancients. It's my favorite part, very DM-esque, in that it's a two-level mind-racking puzzle with very few monsters. I had the game years before I ever got past that part. I'm thinking about picking it up again.

Thera Awakening was a decent book, but not great. Still, it gives a lot of insight into the world of Stonekeep before it was basically destroyed by Khull-Khuum. The writing is a bit amateur, but I love the setting. Incessant rain really does something for me. I don't know why.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

"...with very few monsters."
Actually, Gate of the Ancients has no monsters, and is the only level to do so (well, technically it's two levels but meh).
I love Shargas - they're cute ;). Skuz is my favourite of the party characters. And I also think Vermatrix Goldenhide is very cool :D.
Apprentice

Post by Chish »

One of my favorite Stonekeep moments is a scene from inside the Sharga Freedom League:

Tiny Sharga: "You no wanna open this door!"
(player opens door, of course)
(door opens, revealing a Sharga about three times the size of a normal one, filling the entire screen)
Tiny Sharga: "Ha, ha, tolcha so!"
Farley, in an awed voice: "That is the biggest green-skinned one I have ever seen!"
(player kills Tiny Sharga)
Tiny Sharga: *dramatic death rattle*
(player steps forward)
Giant Sharga, named Tiny, ironically enough: "You hurt Tiny's friend. Now Tiny hurt you!"
(battle ensues)

That is funny.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh yeah I love the little guy's dying...er..."scream"? It's great :D. The giant Sharga on err where is it...Lower Ruins of Stonekeep I think, says what sounds like" Beware teh Kevin of Bass" when you step toward him - I think Kevin Bass is one of the makers of the game or something.
Oh, the cut-scene as you cross between the Gate of the Ancients and the Shadow Palace is very cool, I think :twisted:.

Post by Verokh »

I liked Stonekeep pretty much, it was a great game to play. I found Wahooka hilarious when he tried to explain you something and suddenly his face appeared in front of you, filling the whole screen yelling "Pay attention to me!" or something :lol:

I'd definately like to see one feature of Stonekeep in a remake of the original DM: The character speech. I think it would be so nice and interesting, listening to the characters talking to each other, making fun of each other, discussing things and commenting situations or riddles. I'm interested in the things, that Gando would say to Halk or Zed to Linflas etc.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

That would require the dungeon maker to record their own voices, I think. You can do that in the editor actually...just record your sound files (in the Windows Recorder thingy or whatever), then load 'em into the editor and have them play when you step on certain squares or whatever, so it sounds like a conversation.
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Speaking of which, it would be cool if each active member on this forum would record his/her voice for a defined character in a dungeon - to be designed yet-.
All we need is a project leader.

And a good scenario. Yes, these two things would do the trick: a project leader and a good scenario . Oh, and interesting dialogues. So all we really need are a project leader, a good scenario and interesting dialogues.

Actually, adding a well designed dungeon in the requirements wouldn't hurt either. It was so obvious that I didn't mention it from the start. In summary, with just a project leader, a good scenario, interesting dialogues and a well designed dungeon, we're almost done.

Well, throw in some new graphics to avoid the dungeon getting boring. Which means some graphic artists. So, closing the idea: a project leader, a good scenario, interesting dialogues, a well designed dungeon and some graphic artists, et voilà!

Oh, and two or three years of hard work.

> >

< <

^ ^'

Anyway, Stonekeep seems fun to play. I should try it someday.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I assuemd you meant across the bottom of the screen like EOTB, and I have always wanted to have that - as you say funny little interractions would eb great. And yup, could have RTC do ti quite easily (ish) witht he new queries. CSBwin would be trickier but by no means impossible : )
Verokh
Apprentice

Post by Verokh »

Hahaha yeah! And in addition to that we have to think about some really smart dialouge, which will fit the likings of todays player generation. Something like:

Zed: "WTF ??? Hlep! Teh screamers coming our way!!11!"
Halk: "ZOMG!!! W00t, I'll pwnz0r them!!1111"
Gothmog: "ololol u r teh suxx!! Let me handle this! I got teh haXx0r M0n Ful Ir!"
Linflas: "WHO DID JUST PUSH THIS BUTTON???"

All falling down a pit: "WTF Halk you N00b!!111 Ahhhhhhhh....."
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

LMAO @ zyx. You are quite correct. Oh, and also a name. But otherwise that would be it, except for the puzzles and creatures. And maybe some items. And some works to be project led. And some fish
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I wouldn't call that a player generation. I'd call it an idiot player niche.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yay!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Rofl Zyx, that just cracked me up! Well, should anyone ever do this, I'd gladly do some voicework, most likely for a character like Halk - I can fake Ahnuld's English accent quite well. ;)

I nevvah preyd to yoo befoah... I haff no tung foa it.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

LMAO @ trant

There we go, we have a Halk! I dunno who I could sound like... I'll get my thining cap on
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I suppose it depends on what we all think they should sound like...I've never really thought about it tbh, since none of them ever say anything (in text I mean...the Grey Lord is the only one who does, obviously...). But I don't mind doing some voices...maybe if there's someone who wants to "collect" voice samples, we could all record ourselves saying stuff in a variety of ways and send it in, and then that person could decide whom they think is best for each part. Ooh it's like casting for voice-parts in a cartoon or something isn't it ;).
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

beowuuf wrote:I dunno who I could sound like...
Tiggy? :twisted: :P
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

awwww, thanks : )
Chish
Apprentice

Post by Chish »

This thread is getting off-topic fast! ;) We shoul re-route this stuff to "Remake." However, I do agree. Here's the thing, though. You don't need to "imitate" ANYBODY to become a Voice in the remake if it ever exists. If you have a voice in real life, that can easily qualify for a given character's voice, providing you are either
a. a male
OR
b. a female.

I suppose if if you don't qualify for one of the groups above, you could STILL become a Voice, but I admit I have no knowledge of that sort of stuff.

To keep this post *slightly* on topic:
I also enjoyed Wahooka's antics. "More! You must give me more!"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah but using your RL voice won't necessarily fit into a Fantasy setting...I'm not a Chav (eww) but I live in Chatham, and thus don't think my natural tone would fit into a brave explorer going into a dungeon...
But I might make a "messing around" dungeon one day just to incluide loads of stupid stuff, if only so I can have them say "D'oh!" as they walk into walls :twisted:.
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Of course everybody could use just their real voices - but where's the sport in that?! We need air-to-air missiles to attack the mosquito and... um... Nevermind... Impersonating Ahnuld is just so much fun! :P