[Custom dungeon] Conflux III: The Undercity [CSBWin] [Benjamin Prieu (a.k.a Zyx)]

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Two words: officer's canteen
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I couldn't makeyour savegame crash with CSbwin995 either. let me know if the bug is gone.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I released 995 for Adamo. I think the only
thing I fixed was to truncate floor/ceiling
bitmaps (from graphics.dat) that were too large
and causing things to be destroyed. Somewhat
at random.

The CSBwin runtime was (and
probably is) dependent on the graphics.dat
file containing correct data.
Verokh
Apprentice

Post by Verokh »

@Zyx - No crashes so far. Let's see how it goes today, when I have more time to play.
jason barnes
Novice

Post by jason barnes »

The yin in the yang...

I need help with one guys. I've tried all sorts of objects tried to close all the pits. I got nuthin'.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It helps if you had zed...he gives a better clue...

Probably the least likely item in a dead stone dungeon
Verokh
Apprentice

Post by Verokh »

@beowuuf
The problem is, Zed only once tells you the hint. I was there too and I missed the hint, but I thought he would say it each time you go there. I thought wrong, he didn't mention it a second time. BTW could it be he only begins telling you certain hints with higher priest levels? The 'danger' messages in the dwarven level always read 'These runes mean something like danger." and only after Zed leveled to expert priest he started to tell me where the danger comes from.

@Zyx
It seems the my crashing problem is still there. Yesterday it was crashing several times, when pressing a button *sigh*. Well, I'll continue playing Towers of Chaos to a later stage to see, whether the crash occurs there also.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If it's the same button then it will be a different crash (probably dungeon) - which button?

And the zed hint was about a mural showing a rose in the dirt or something like that
Verokh
Apprentice

Post by Verokh »

It's not a certain button, it is any button. It can be a button I already pressed 50 times before and I come back to press it for the 51st time and it crashes.

The button, which crashed me 4 times in a row (press, reboot, reload, press, reboot etc.), didn't crash me after I went somewhere else, up and down a floor, came back later and pressed it. Instead I went somewhere else, where suddenly another button/floorplate whatever, crashed me. Additionally it doesn't only crash whenever I actually press a button, it is ONLY the sound of the trigger. I don't even have to press the buttons/floorplates myself, it is enough when I hear the sound far away in the background, behind a wall where something walks over the pressureplates.

For example I stand somewhere in a room, where I constantly hear the triggersound in the background and I leave my mouse or keyboard alone, just sitting there and listening *tap*...*tap*...*tap*...*tap*...*tap-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p*-crash. It can be the first tap or the second or the 10th, it's completely random. I hear maybe 100 triggersounds without anything happen and I'm lucky or I'm unlucky and every second sound I hear is a 100% crash.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hang on, are you getting the crash under the tower of chaos or do you mean you will play tower fo chaos to see if the crash occurs there? If the later, rememebr to use the latest engine to tes - there is no point proving a previous engine doens't crash it, as we knew that : )
Verokh
Apprentice

Post by Verokh »

I'm using the 995something version of CSBwin, we talked about earlier. I will pause Conflux now for a while and play Towers of Chaos INSTEAD to have a look, whether it occurs there too.

Conflux = unbearable crashes, that spoil the fun, stopped playing
Towers of Chaos = currently playing, for testing purpose, no crashes so far

You understand now? :)
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

are you playing in fullscreen mode or windowed mode? if in windowed mode, please check if the directx option is on.

Load a savegame and play it until the crashes happens. Send me the savegame + log (the last one) so I can reproduce the crash.

I have a clue about what could be wrong, but I have to test with your savegame...
Verokh
Apprentice

Post by Verokh »

I think I play in fullscreen mode, since all I do is starting the .bat file for the resolution and nothing else. I never use the CSBwin.exe and never did. I open the folder and run the 900-620.bat (can't remember exactly) and the game starts.

Okay I will do this and prepare a savegame. Sorry for this trouble.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Running the batch file is good, it's the way it was intended to be. Don't be sorry! You're not responsible for the bug. On the contrary, I'm grateful (and Paul Stevens surely is too) that you're reporting and helping to get rid of it.
Verokh
Apprentice

Post by Verokh »

Ok I have sent you the savegame + logfile. I hope you can figure something out. If not...well, I get my new hardware in some time and that means a complete format and new installation of windows etc. Maybe it isn't a bug in the game at all, but it goes bad with my config. Who knows...
jason barnes
Novice

Post by jason barnes »

Thanks beowuuf. I had to replay up to the highpriest again to reread what zed says. I wonder what they mean by "miracle among evil".

I'm now in the future machine. Is there anything special to do in there? I see a odd carving in the wall.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Your adventure is absolutely awesome. Well, I've just played for a few hours just wandering in the sewers, and I noticed some things :

- Potions spells give xp even without flasks. (actually, I like this feature, quite faster than just blowing the horn) Besides, WHERE IS THERE A FLASK ?!!!
- Characters at the back of the party take damage from some melee enemies (trollin, hellhound). It didn't surprise me with the hell hounds (They killed my whole party while I was innocently exploring with low health :wink: ), but for the trollins it might be a bug. (they weren't throwing clubs, and my characters weren't poisoned).

Aside from that :
- Hell I'm lost in those damn' sewers !
- Why can't I drink Sar Wine ? I want a drunken trip in the sewers, chewing mushrooms and snapdragons, with all those blue guys around popping out from nowhere...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I don't think you'd want to drink Sar Wine since it's used for something...
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Well... I DO want my party to have sar-drink party because I'm a bit disappointed now. and I don't want to restart from the beginning.
SPOILER :

I've gone to far down (to the spider lair, and when I go up through the elevator now, there are those scary vexirk throwing spells everywhere...
That's really annoying ! But the spiders aren't nice either. 4 char with full apprentice skills (would prefer Lo Master, but I like those maces to much :lol:)

My main problem is that I play the way I played DM : I try to clear all monsters before doing exploration. It worked for CSB (apart from generated monster, and the Animated Armor, which were way to dangerous), but here it fails completely, the dungeon is too big and tricky.

--
Eating Snapdragons for Lunch
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Exactly - it is too big, too tricky, and there are too many generated monsters (not too many in the dungeon, just too many to kill them all before proceeding to a new level). Keep exploring more, go around, look for new areas... Eventually you will be able to find your way around a bit and see how the levels are interconnected. You can also always return to the start, though some clearing might be needed. The dungeon is both huge and complex, in a way that makes CSB look like a walk in the park.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You also aren't playing the way you played DM, as you went down to the sewers fiirst. And you can clear the levels, but if you are being gun-ho about it you will be punished. Clear the storage area, then clear the wine cellar making a detour to the moister area before even attempting areas such as sewers or temple. And yes, if you go down further than that with an apprentice party, you iwll be punished if your skills arne't good.

REspect the dungeon! Explore and get good things. And if you are exploring you should get enough maces anyway

And yes, the sar wines are used for something very cool - if you can drink them all, then you can't use them later. If you could make new ones, it would probably ruin game balance
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Well, I cleaned most of what I've encountered. I had seen somewhere that some keys could be valuable so I've been reluctant on opening anything. But know I've fought my way through all those spiders, gigglers and yodas, so it's rollin' again.
What would be really cool is an extra character or some horse to carry all the stupid stuff I have (all 4 inventories full, with 7 or 8 bags...)

Just a few questions :
- Is it useful to spend maces, shuriken, staff and corbums at any other 'thing' that guild doors ?
- I keep collecting mushrooms, is it useful ?
(and no, I am no carrying all 69 sar wine bottles)
- Are the spitter trees invincible ? (can't say I've tried much)

PS: What I really like in Conflux compared to DM, is that it is not linear at all, and compared to CSB, when you are lost, you always have a way you can go, and you always find a way back. (for what I've seen)

--
Joramund
You Should Read : 'A Game Of Throne' and its sequels, by George RR Martin, better books I've read in 23 years of SF / Fantasy exploration.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

-I suggest spending all those guild items on the guild doors first, and only later on something else (there are more than enough).

-No, you don't need mushrooms as far as I know.

-No, they are not.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You may find your progress in skills limited if you horde the items, and the guild has more useful thigns than heroes...
jason barnes
Novice

Post by jason barnes »

Whew! My party took out vecna today. Boy is he a sore loser.

but...
I now have a total of 3 maces of order! One looks normal, another is unique and stuns groups of enemies, and the last is funeral, cursed, unique in gold lettering and in orange lettering it is "windu."?!?!?
Also, I encountered a multiple puddle water elemental in the crypt. Is this normal or is my game glitching?
Verokh
Apprentice

Post by Verokh »

@Zyx
Have you been able to figure something out with the savegame and logfile I sent to you?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Didn't you get my mail with the fixed savegame from the 2th of June?

the game simply and plainly doesn't crash for me, evenwith your log. So I made a wild guess and tried to fix the probable cause. I was waiting for you to tell me if the game keeps crashing with this new savegame.
Verokh
Apprentice

Post by Verokh »

Oh sorry, I should check my mails again. It's hard to recognize between all those spam mails ;)

EDIT: Okay after installing your new savegame over my old one I reloaded it and played for about 1 minute, before it crashed again. I walked on a floorplate and bye bye. I start thinking more and more, that it isn't the fault of the game and my computer itself is the problem.
jason barnes
Novice

Post by jason barnes »

Zyx, how many maces of order did put in this dungeon?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Ooops I missed your previous post about the maces. There are 4 maces of order; some of them have unique powers. Some are cursed or broken and need proper treatment first.
Congrats about killing Vecna! It is meant to be one of the hardest fights of the dungeon. Nigh impossible, in fact. (PM me if you found a tactic that made it easy!)
The reward (the mace) should be worth it, as you'll discover.