Permanent stat increasing potions

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Daecon
Expert

Permanent stat increasing potions

Post by Daecon »

The potions in Dungeon Master that increase your Stregth, Dexterity, Wisdom and Vitality only provide a temporary increase, right?

How do/can I make a potion that will give a permanent increase to a stat attribute. (The idea is to make a Boss monster that will drop one of these when you kill it.)

Something consumable that can be used only once, instead of an item or equipment that can be given to any character.
Chaos Awakes
Artisan

Post by Chaos Awakes »

I'd like to be able to do this also, I can think of a number of RPG games where you find potions that add 1 permanently to a stat. Obviously you carefully choose who to give it to as you only get one.
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

On further thought, it could also be useful for letting players customise their own characters for use in the dungeon. Sort of like the "choose your characters" part of CSB, before you start playing the dungeon properly.

If you had a party with a stat value of 10 or something in every attribute, and several potions that increase certain values by an extra 10 points each...

You can solve puzzles to win these enhancements in the character choosing area before going onto the dungeon proper, that way you can customise your party members in the way you want, as a game player rather than a dungeon designer. The more puzzles you solve, the more powerful you can craft your characters...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You can I think (GG and sophi can correct me here)

Drink the potion, have it create a 'boost party by object' effect, and you will get this permanent bonus added that has nothign to do with equiping.
TheMormegil
Adept

Post by TheMormegil »

That doesn't actually work beo.
I just tried it with a potion that boosts by object (power towers).
It boosted strength by ten but only on the left hand column and then started counting down.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Don't use a potion then, the temp property might be hard coded - try cloning an apple
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

That doesn't work either...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

More information than 'doesn't work' would help - it only temporarily increases the stat, or not at all, are you actually using a potion as the boost item for the apple?
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Ooh sorry, I meant that the stat increase is still only temporary whether it's a potion of charge -1, charge 1, or an apple that gives the bonus when consumed.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hmm... need GG tro say if this is a bug or if I'm missing soemthing obvious then. By my understanduing this was how you did stat incerases and decreases of any kind