Classic Computer Game Quiz!

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Classic Computer Game Quiz!

Post by Trantor »

Hi, inspired from the "favourite game of all time" thread, I decided to put up a quiz of old, classic games. I'll give 20 questions (I might add more if people are interested), each with 3 possible answers. You can send me a PM with the answers (each correct answer is worth a point), and I can post who has how many points here. I suggest nobody posts his/her answers here, as it might influence other people.

1. In Maniac Mansion, who has the fuel for the chainsaw?
a) Dr. Fred
b) Green Tentacle
c) nobody

2. Which was the first "Real Time Strategy" game?
a) Command & Conquer
b) Warcraft: Orcs and Humans
c) Dune 2

3. In the early 90s, it was announced that a Heavy Metal band should have their own game where the player controlled the band's singer. Which band was it?
a) Motörhead
b) Metallica
c) Iron Maiden

4. What was the name of the evil alien race in "Elite"?
a) Klingons
b) Thargoids
c) Magratheans

5. What happened to Dan Bunton, creator of the games "M.U.L.E." and "Command HQ"?
a) He died in a car crash in 1994.
b) He abandoned gaming and is now a professional painter.
c) He had an operation and now lives as a woman called Dani Bunton.

6. What was the subtitle of Doom 2?
a) Megablast
b) Hell on Earth
c) The Arena

7. What do the games Cadaver, Magic Pockets and Gods have in common?
a) All were classic jump'n runs.
b) All were first released on the C64.
c) All were made by the Bitmap Brothers.

8. Which of the following games was not developed by Andrew Braybrook?
a) Uridium
b) Defender
c) Paradroid

9. Which of the following terms is not a character class in Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge?
a) Assassin
b) Lord
c) Valkyrie

10. Britannia, the world where the Ultima games take place, had a different name in the first three Ultima episodes. Which one?
a) Rivendell
b) Phlan
c) Sosaria

11. How many levels did the dungeon of Eye of the Beholder have?
a) 10
b) 12
c) 15

12. Sort the following Lucasfilm Games adventures by their release date, starting with the oldest:
a) Loom, The Secret of Monkey Island, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
b) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Loom, The Secret of Monkey Island
c) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, The Secret of Monkey Island, Loom

13. Which year saw the release of Railroad Tycoon?
a) 1990
b) 1991
c) 1992

14. Douglas Adams, the author of the legendary SF-parody The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, co-wrote the same-titled text adventure for Infocom. Which other Infocom text adventure did he write?
a) A Mind forever voyaging
b) The Witness
c) Bureaucracy

15. Which of the following German roleplaying games was not developed by Thalion Software?
a) Dragonflight
b) Amberstar
c) Spirit of Adventure

16. The developers of the popular action game Silkworm also made a game called SWIV. What was the most popular rumour what SWIV actually meant?
a) SilkWorm IV
b) Sex With Illegal Volunteers
c) See, We Intimidated Vultures

17. Which of the following Leisure Suit Larry games does actually not exist?
a) Part 2
b) Part 3
c) Part 4

18. Which of the following puzzle games did allow two players simultaneously?
a) Klax
b) Block Out
c) Logical

19. Jordan Mechner was generally considered as a guru of sprite animation. For which of these games was he not responsible?
a) Prince of Persia
b) Flashback
c) Karateka

20. (Bonus Question): How many characters can you choose in Dungeon Master? :wink:
a) 2
b) 4
c) 6
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

my limited knowledge :

(EDITED by Gambit: I edited them out so not to spoil it for others:)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Current standings (to be edited):

Ameena: 8
andyboy_uk: 10
Charlatan75: 17
Duell: 12
George Gilbert: 19
Linflas: 4,5 (you get half a point for your answer to question number 20 :wink:)
Sucinum: 11
TyGuy6: 9
Wismerhill: 12
Zyx: 17

Linflas: Ok, you could make an argument about Populous. But the game plays quite differently from the likes of Warcraft, Starcraft, C&C, Spellforce, Warzone and all those games, and I was referring to those when I meant "RTS". Maybe switch the question to "which of these games is the oldest?" :wink:
Last edited by Trantor on Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

It's bad that aside from the bonus, there's only one I'm certain of. Clearly, I fail at trivia.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, I get like two of these! Guess I'm not a gamer!
Nice to see you around Selie, how did the house/babysitting go?
Duell
Neophyte

Post by Duell »

I only know the answer to 5 of the questions, the other I had to guess. It seems I have forgotten much since those days. Furthermore, I used to own an Amiga back then.

Duell
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Thank you for participating Duell! You are the first one to answer question 9 correctly, though this is partly the case because PaulH hasn't participated so far. :wink:
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Ive thrown my answers in, there are a few that I didnt have a clue on, but quite a lot I recognise. Im a sad git :)
A
Regards,

Andy
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Two more entries, andyboy_uk and Zyx. Zyx is the first person to correctly answer question 5.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

George Gilbert just scored an amazing 19 points! I would like to ask all of you if you would be interested in 20 more questions? If yes, should I add video games to the mix?
Duell
Neophyte

Post by Duell »

Trantor: question 9 was actually an easy one for me (one of the 5 I didn't have to guess :mrgreen: ), as I am a great fan of Wizardry.
(I remember the hours and hours of trading with MaiLai to get 'blade cuisinart' for my Lord).
And yes, although I will be guessing again a lot, please provide us with more questions.

Duell
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Coo 19!

I think that luck played a large part in that though - there were several that were about 50:50 between 2 answers but it seems most of the guesses turned out to be right :D

Thanks again for the quiz - great fun...
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Haven't answered myself because I don't know that many answers... Blame it on the Amiga ? Blame it on my parents that didn't want me playing computer games before I was in high school !!!
Charlatan75
Apprentice

Post by Charlatan75 »

Hello! :)

I would personally like to try to answer 20 more questions! ^^
Congratulations to George Gilbert and Zyx! :)

When you say "should I add video games to the mix?" do you mean the games we first played in pubs or similar places? (like "Bubble Bobble", "Operation Wolf", "Final Fight", "Tetris"...) It's ok for me. ^^

Charlatan75
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I actually meant console games by that, Sega, Nintendo and all that. But I might also add some "arcade" questions about games you mentioned.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well I'd probably do crap anyway so it don't bother me ;).
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Over a year later, we have another entry! TyGuy6 scored 9 points! Thanks for participating!
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Cadaver! I remember that game... I used to love that game when I played it as a child. Gosh, that brings back memories...

I also remember a game called The Viking Child, also on the Atari ST. I don't remember much about it but I remember it had really catchy theme music. Can't find it anywhere now though. :(
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

Hah! I only knew the answer to one question. The bonus! I'm good at multiple choice guessing. I've only ever heard of and played Warcraft and C+C before, among all those games (I have Warcraft II). I've played Doom but I didn't like it much. (I'm too young to die!)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

for number 3.. there was a game far before any of those that used a popular band as it's main characters.. I want to say beatles.. but I think it was a different band.. but I did know the music as it played during the game. You could choose from them and it played a lot like galaga. Though you were some guy at the bottom with a guitar or drum kit shooting lasers upwards. Cheezy I know.. but this was the 80's man. Did a quick search.. but can't remember what band it was.. maybe someone here will.

moo

found it...

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?let ... me_id=8242

oh and I should probably also note that Micheal Jackson made a video game where he was the hero in it also.. likley before your other groups there.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

The game I am talking about in question number 3 was announced in 1990; I am not sure if it was ever released, but suppose it wasn't. I do remember the Moonwalker game from the Sega Mega Drive, but never heard of Journey (neither the game nor the band!) nor Revolution X before. But as far as I know, no game has ever been announced for the two other bands I gave as possible answers, so I think the question can stay as it is.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

just passing some of my own trivia then ;)