swap tile does not produce light

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
THOM
Artisan

swap tile does not produce light

Post by THOM »

alright, once again one of my special problems:

I'm trying to fill my dungeon with flickering light at all sconces. I did it so far with 3 cloned light-tiles and a relay mechanic. But now I want to have many sconces which are empty at the beginning. to get the light/flickering effect while filling it, I have tried to do this:

on my floortile infront of the sconce are 3 cloned light-tiles - strength 0.
a torch triggers 3 action-tiles, each doing SWAP_TILE_LOCAL and swaps one of my cloned light-tiles into another one - with a strength of eg. 190

but nothing happens! did SWAP do not send a command to the light-tile about strength?

This is what I expect:
LIGHT clone#1 strength 0 -> SWAP #1 > #2 strength 190 -> LIGHT clone#2 strength 190

any Ideas what I did wrong? or other Ideas why this doesn't work?

THOM
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

I have the idea about the method of doing this.
(The research is necessary a little more to achieve it. )

However, you can seem to use another method.
Light of inactive that strength is different is put on the tile in this side of sconces.
When the torch is put on sconces, active/inactive of light is switched.
(Light different depending on the kind of the torch becomes active. )

Can your idea be reproduced by this?
Or, is it in your dungeon and is there sconces of difficult a large amount of?
Please forgive poor English.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

I suspect the strength is being ignored in the swap (i.e. it's only used for item charges / monster health, rather than for the few floor items that have an inherrent strength associated with them). If so, it's a bug and I'll fix it so that what you're attempting works.

In the meantime, just make clones of the light floor item each with a different default strength and swap between them - that should work as when the new items are created, they'll use the default strength...
THOM
Artisan

Post by THOM »

Ah yes, George, that was good ! Default strength helped.

But now: is there a way to create a light-tile on the floor? I tried it by SWAP_LOCAL in the way I have described above - but again nothing happens. Does "local" means in relation to the swapping action-tile or in relation to the point where it's triggered from?
ACTION_CREATE_NEW_ON_FLOOR means, I guess, an object like a weappon - not other tiles (like light-tiles)?

I cannot get a way to create (or swap) a light-tile, which can be toggled off again [to create one is not the problem] in connection with 3 tiles that alter (by beeing swapped).

Any Ideas? I'm sure: if we can solve this, we can get a matrix, which can be used in all costum dungeon where a flickering torchlight is wanted...

THOM
THOM
Artisan

Post by THOM »

I found a solution!
I will talk about that at the Thread "Dungeon libraries idea"

THOM