The character of a DM fan...?

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

ha! I had plenty of fun in december, when I broke a collar-bone and had to have an operation. the hand is still not 100% efficient till now, however it`s generally ok. but it`s left and I`m a right-handed person. :D
the funniest thing is that after I broke it I went home and slept in bed. I went to the hospital next morning.
anyway, I need two hands to play Dungeon Master!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

so you've been there too.

I recommend using a PocketPC: while rolling on the the floor in pain and misery still you'll be able to break some monsters neck with just your right hand (while the other is holding the PPC). The in-game atmosphere compared to the big screen is of course not as deep, but with the vibration turned on receiving an unexpected latenight call while you run away from some monsters really can be VERY scary. :-)

ToC is finished now (although just the bad way, I didn't figure out how to complete the firestaff) and I've started conflux III. Man... this game is just a-w-e-s-o-m-e. It won't get any better... (but I really hope it will!)

As for the geek code: I will post the code here on page2 as soon as I've finished it. Problem is that my back doesn't like sitting in front of the PC, laying streched out on the hard floor is much more appreciated.

greetings
T0Mi
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

So here is the most recent version of the DM geek code.
It has grown, please tell me what you think. Any suggestion/addon/obvious error report is welcome of course.

A Geek of DM code now looks like this:

-----BEGIN DM GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

aDM13 DMI end+ inf+ now++ fut+
gra wri+ fan+ rol+ cod+
pMIX(4)+ lev+ cus com+

------END DM GEEK CODE BLOCK-------

As you see, it is divided into 3 lines:

first line: concerning the past, when you first played DM
second line: detail: the attritbutes DM fans most likely have
third line: detail: DM play today

First line:

the age you had when you first played DM (or its sequals)
--------------------------------------------------------

aDM+++
60 and up

aDM++
50-59

aDM+
40-49

aDM
30-39

aDM-
25-29

aDM--
20-24

aDM---
15-19

aDM----
10-14

aDM-----
9 and under

to be more precisely, you may also add your age as a number, for example:

aDM-14

the version you FIRST played, which also implies the system you played it on. (Leaving the odd fight between Amiga and Atari aside)
In case you've played CSB before DM (wow...) replace "DM" with "CSB".

DMI
Dungeon Master (Atari/Amiga)

DMS
Dungeon Master on Super-NES

DMA
Dungeon Master on Apple II GS

DM9
Dungeon Master on PC-9801

DMT
Dungeon Master on FM-Towns

DMX:
Dungeon Master on X68000

DMI(I)PC
Dungeon Master I/II (PC)

DMIICD
Dungeon Master II (SEGA CD)

DMIIPS
Dungeon Master II (IBM PS/V)

DMIIMAC
Dungeon Master II (Macintosh)

TQ
Therons's Quest (PC-Engine)

DMN
Dungeon Master Nexus (Sega Saturn)

Did you ever finish DM (or any of its sequals) back in those days?

end++
finished it and seen the end

end+
I came close to the end, but just didn't figure out what to do with the firestaff

end
I got lost deep in the dungeon, then gave up

end-
travelled guite a way through the dungeon, but it got too hard for me

end--
I got stucked early, and gave up early

end---
I never got beyond the first few levels, I was too young to understand the game, didn't have the time, whatever.

how it affected your life and growing up back in those days

inf-
DM was a great game, but it didn't have any influence on me

inf
I remember scribbling DM stuff while phoning

inf+
I created some grafixs on paper or using painting programs, wrote some stories and guess hard that DM is the reason for me to still love RPGs today.

inf++
DM was the reason for me having a strong affection to all kind of roleplaying stuff and fantasy. It's one of my favorite hobbys to create stories in fantasy worlds, paint, roleplay, etc.

inf+++
I became a professional graphic artist/book writer/whatever mainly because of DM

----------------------
(end of line 1)

1.5 what you think about DM as a game, still playable today?

now-
I've played it aslike I played any of the other games of that time. Good game, but it would bore me today.

now
DM was great, I think I will try it again on an emulator

now+
DM was really great, I played it on an Emulator and might try versions on other systems I've missed.

now++
DM was one of the greatest games ever and after I played the offical version over and over again, I will try out some of the custom dungeons.

now+++
DM IS outstanding and will always be, I'm hungry for new dungeons.

Dm survived more than 20 years, while ongoing developement of games still people play it.
So what do you think the future of DM might be?

fut-
DM -is- dead. Just a few geeks won't change that.

fut
all things die. DM will too.

fut+
When the people who played it in their past will be old, DM will be too. And when it dies, it still lives on just by the influence it had on all the other games.

fut++
When tried hard, keeping the pace and rising it to a descent level concerning graphics and sound, it will not die.

fut+++
even with ASCII or cga graphic, DM will never ever die!

SECOND LINE
----------------------
is going into detail about the abilities/attributes a DM geek may have or may not have, concerning:

graphics (created/modified on PC, 3D modeling),
writing (stories, poems, fantasy scenarios, etc. on paper or inet),
roleplaying (on Computer/in general/LRPG)
fantasy (from middleage to Sifi) ,
coding (on computers, a geek code won't count ;-)
(nostalgia?)

Using computers as a tool for painting:
gra-
Computers are just for the use as a tool of work and not as a paintbrush.

gra
I've painted some neat graphics with neochrome back in those days, but seldomly do today using modern tools

gra+
I still create graphics today, but I have to admit, they may look a bit childish to others.

gra++
I've been told I can really do something eyepopping using a Computer.

gra+++
I'm a pixel god and I know how to use all the modern tools of today, creating (semi-)professionell results.

Add a /$ when you earn money with your work.

about writing:
wri-
No, I do not write anything beyond of what I need to.

wri
writing is fun, but I wouldn't do it just -for- the fun.

wri+
Writing for me is pleasure. I spend a lot of time. I will surly publish some of my work.

wri++
I'm a known writer to quite a few people.

wri+++
I've written bestsellers.

Add a /$ if people pay for reading your stuff.

about fantasy in general (may it be Sience fiction or playing in a middleage scenario)
fan-
I like DM, but generally I'm not interested in fantasy

fan
yeah, I like it, but it isn't something I'm really into

fan+
I like fantasy related stuff, I read alot, play alot, it's one of my favorite hobbies.

fan++
I'm a collector of anything that has to do with fanatsy.

Roleplaying:
rol-
beyond Dungeon Master I've rarly played games that had anything to do with roleplaying. Wait... "mind games". ;-)

rol
I like roleplaying just as I like any of the other things I do, still I give the charakters DM names in modern RPGs. :-)

rol+
I love roleplaying as a Computergame and I've played alot of them since DM, but it won't make me swift personality 'that' way.

rol++
I love roleplaying in all of its kind. On Computers, as pen&paper or even on live events (LRPGs)

coding:
cod-
I can barly type

cod
I did some minor code in my past, the language was called BASIC, as far as I remember

cod+
I may put formulas into code, displaying the results on the screen using C/C++, maybe even draw a diagram.

cod++
I see coding as one of my favorite hobbys, I'm guite an expert in both raw machine code/Assembler and modern Interpreter languages

cod+++
I-live-within-the-code

Add a /$ if you're a professional coder and earn money with it, maybe even can make your living.

third line
about DM gaming today

your favorite party to choose from the Hall of Champions

pFIG
I choose Fighters

pWIZ
I choose Wizards

pPRI
I choose Priests

PNIN
I choose Ninjas

pADV
I choose Adventurers (Allrounders)

pMIX
I choose a mix of the above (having 2 Fighters, 2 Mages, or a mix)

Your prefered number of partymembers can be added in parentheses after your favorite type of charakter(s).
Example: pFIG(1) for a solorun with HALK.

The prefered method of adding members to the party either as resurrected or reincarnated chars can be displayed using a "+" for reincarnated and "-" for resurrected charakters after the number of partymembers.
For example: pWIZ(4)+ for a full party of Wizards, all beeing reincarnated.

One of the main feature of DM is developing your charakters and training them.
Complete the sentence: When it comes to training, I...

lev-
consider training as cheating, I even kill respawned monster using doors without my party having to gain exp.

lev
train if it doesn't interrupt my way through the dungeon

lev+
train occassionally, killing respawned monsters, but as soon as it bores me I resume exploring the dungeon

lev++
train whenever I get the chance to do it, continuing only if I run short on food/water.

lev+++
won't enter Level 3 before I reached at least << Master in every profession, keeping my charachters alive with Stamina potions

Additional (optinal) question for nostalgic reasons:
"Did you ever use a joystick with Autofire on plugged in the mouse port to train your charakters?" can be answered yes or no using /atY or /atN after your choice.

creative custom work on DM

cus--
never did anything custom for DM and won't do in the future

cus-
I plan to do some custom work (dungeons/grafix), but havn't done yet

cus
I tried out some of the programs for customizing (dmute, CSBbuilt, etc.) but I didn't come close to completing my own dungeon

cus+
I've made dungeons and/or some neat grafix, which were played by other fans, hungry for dungeons.

cus++
I raised my customizing work to quite a level - other users are looking forward to play my dungeons/see my grafix/programs

cus+++
I wrote programs for other users willing to customize graphics/dungeons which where used as standard tools nowaday. I've digged into the source code, made major modifications or ported the game to other systems.

taking part in the DM community

com-
I'm not a member of the DM Community and won't be in the future, I just dropped in accidently. I'm pleasing my DM fever which will surly run out in a week or two.

com
I took part for some time, but then continued traveling. (still here, aren't you?)

com+
I'm a member still active on the forum, but will be gone one day or another.

com++
I'm a known member of the community for years have passed and hopefully years to come.

com+++
I've been there from the very start. People call me a wizard. :-)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Right then, here's my code then...

aDM----- DMI end++ inf- now++ fut+
gra+ wri+ fan+ rol+ cod-
pMIX(2)+ lev cus com++

Phew, now I can look back on it and think "Errm...wtf does that all mean again?" :D.
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

Thank you for your post, Ameena. :-)

I'll add categories for feeding and fighting (fed, fig) as soon as I find the time. Then this has to be put into some kind of generator, as it is quite uncomfortable to handle as a plain text.
As I'm a lamerish coder, I'll use a nice EXL-Sheet with Visual Basic (aaargh...) for GUI. I could do it in a nostalgic DOS box using C, but noone really wants that. ;-) Too bad I'm too late to all this... :roll:

greetings
T0Mi