Scream? I peed my pants ;o)

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Twilightdreamer1979
Neophyte

Scream? I peed my pants ;o)

Post by Twilightdreamer1979 »

Hi all

I had the origional ST version - I LOVED IT! though I wasn't very good, I only got to level 5 or 6 before losing my bottle lol. Me and my sister used to scream the house down when we came face to face with some of the nasties in the dark *chuckle*

Sorry if you've been asked this one before but... aside from downloading DM where else can I get it these days? Is it available on the play station or Xbox for example? I'd love to have another bash at the mummys, screamers, worms, ghosts and all the other horrible little buggers that used to make me pee my pants :wink:

Thanks in advance for your help.
TD.x.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Hi and welcome !
There are various ways to play DM on a PC : emulation (STeem, WinUAE, DosBox, ZSnes) or clones/remakes (CSBwin, RTC, DSB)
There's also a PocketPC version of CSBWin.
I don't know any console version of DM but maybe you can run emulators on PS or Xbox ?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I also recommend using either CSBWin or RTC.

CSBWin contains Dungeon Master 1 and Chaos Strikes Back, is ported pretty directly from Atari ST to Windows, and thus is absolutely true to the original, aside from a couple of Windows-related options and various fan-made mods existing.

RTC is programmed completely anew from scratch for Windows-DirectX, and while the feel is close to DM, it does not use all the same sophisticated rules from the original FTL game. On the other hand, it contains a lot of carefully thought of improvements compared to the original engine. It contains Dungeon Master 1, optionally in a more original or more RTC-like version, Chaos Strikes Back, and a slightly modified version Dungeon Master 2 (with the slightly cartoony grafics of the PC version of DM2, without the double-step, without double weapons, and without porter ot scout minions). There are also some fan-made mods existing.

CSBWin's big advantage is that it is true to the original.

RTCs advantage is that it pretty easy to handle and that it also contains DM2, and you can very easily import existing characters from any dungeon/savegames to a new dungeon.

I never tested it, but there is PocketPC version of CSBWin that seems to be playable.

Aside from that you might download original MS-DOS-PC-DM1 from the Encyclopaedia or even buy an original on ebay (I did) and run it on an MS-DOS partition (difficult to get proper sound drivers for most recent devices), Windows 98 partition rebooting in DOS, or under the emulation tool DosBox. You also might run the original ST or Amiga version using the emulators Linflas mentioned, but in that case you have to get the emulations running properly first.

The same goes for DM2. Some people had a bit of difficulty with getting DM2 run under DosBox in a proper resolution / with full sound, but if you use the patch for DM2 from the Encyclopaedia and the latest version of DosBox properly configured, it should work.

The only console versions known to me, Dungeon Master Nexus, Theron's Quest are only for pretty old consoles. I heard that it is possible to access them via emulation, but it seems to be a bit tricky, I never tried it. There is currently a mod for RTC reproducing at least the dungeons.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

ah yes, i forgot to mention Nexus which runs (almost) fine on SSF : http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=27305 for instructions.
But it is not really the DM you have played on ST... :roll:
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

If you have a SNES, you can get the original DM for that. The real thing is always better then the ZSnes emulator.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

SNES version is the worst one. But there`s a DM/CSB pocket PC version. Here`s a history:
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 39&start=0
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
somemale
Novice

Post by somemale »

Lunever wrote:I also recommend using either CSBWin or RTC.

CSBWin contains Dungeon Master 1 and Chaos Strikes Back, is ported pretty directly from Atari ST to Windows, and thus is absolutely true to the original, aside from a couple of Windows-related options and various fan-made mods existing.

RTC is programmed completely anew from scratch for Windows-DirectX, and while the feel is close to DM, it does not use all the same sophisticated rules from the original FTL game. On the other hand, it contains a lot of carefully thought of improvements compared to the original engine. It contains Dungeon Master 1, optionally in a more original or more RTC-like version, Chaos Strikes Back, and a slightly modified version Dungeon Master 2 (with the slightly cartoony grafics of the PC version of DM2, without the double-step, without double weapons, and without porter ot scout minions). There are also some fan-made mods existing.

CSBWin's big advantage is that it is true to the original.

RTCs advantage is that it pretty easy to handle and that it also contains DM2, and you can very easily import existing characters from any dungeon/savegames to a new dungeon.

I never tested it, but there is PocketPC version of CSBWin that seems to be playable.

Aside from that you might download original MS-DOS-PC-DM1 from the Encyclopaedia or even buy an original on ebay (I did) and run it on an MS-DOS partition (difficult to get proper sound drivers for most recent devices), Windows 98 partition rebooting in DOS, or under the emulation tool DosBox. You also might run the original ST or Amiga version using the emulators Linflas mentioned, but in that case you have to get the emulations running properly first.

The same goes for DM2. Some people had a bit of difficulty with getting DM2 run under DosBox in a proper resolution / with full sound, but if you use the patch for DM2 from the Encyclopaedia and the latest version of DosBox properly configured, it should work.

The only console versions known to me, Dungeon Master Nexus, Theron's Quest are only for pretty old consoles. I heard that it is possible to access them via emulation, but it seems to be a bit tricky, I never tried it. There is currently a mod for RTC reproducing at least the dungeons.
hmm interesting, I didn't know RTC was slighlty different from the originals. Is the DM1 in RTC really different from the original? It seems more or less the same to me. Also from the way you described it, DM2 seems really different in RTC compared to the original. Is this true?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

DM1 - by now hopefully not too many differences, the damage etc has been tweaked and recharge times. Poison cloud effects and the lethality of magic, and split monster groups are the major differences

DM2 - blow by blow play wise not too bad actually, played it side by side. Interface wise, completely different. DM2 had some neat tricks, and alot of monster AI still not fully incorporated into it. Lots of stuff liek the money box, moving large floor items etc has been taken across, but there re still things like activating chests etc on the ground, two handed wepaons, taking thigns for mthe pouch via interface, etc that are not done