Helm of Darc (SNES).

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chrono Crow
Neophyte

Helm of Darc (SNES).

Post by Chrono Crow »

Hi all. I'm playing DM for the first time in YEARS. Back when I last played, I'm positive I got both ultimate armors. Lyte and Darc. Well, this time, I'm playing through with a guide (I earned it, I beat it years ago with nothing more than a shriveled page with some spells torn from the booklet helping me), but the place they're telling me to go for the switch that opens the door with the room containing the helm of Darc quite simply doesn't exist. The maps and directions from the walkthrough say take four steps straight from the RA key alcove on level 12, then take a right down a corridor into a room with a green switch. Problem is, that right path isn't there. I even used oh-ew-ra, and the room simply isn't there. So the only conclusion I can draw is that the maps and guides were made specifically for the PC version, and the SNES version has a different room. So if anyone knows the SNES version well enough, please help. I've already set into motion the endless wave of oitus (giant spider mutants), so exploring is pretty much out of the question. I just need to know specifically where to go. Thanks in advance!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The SNES version does in fact have different layouts but I don't have the maps for it to hand right now, they are in storage.

If you have access to the original dungeon.dat file from the SNES version, you can use the SCK tool to create maps from it:

http://greatstone.free.fr/dm/index.html
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Actually, the maps from all version are available on the SCK site:

http://greatstone.free.fr/dm/g_dm.html

Near the bottom, select any of the [dungeon] links for the SNES version to view a popup map viewer. Maps are big and take some time to load.....

I had a look on the map and that room is indeed missing... but I'm pretty certain the door you need to open at (25,23) is just a push-button type so there's no reason you can't easily get to the Helm at (21,28).
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Indeed, they moved that switch to the hidden
portion of the hallway just south of the
door. (28,7) There is also an Animated
Armor hidden there.

They probably thought that it was much too
difficult to discover such an obscure, distant
relationship between the switch and door.
No idea why they removed the entire room!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The switch we're talking about doesn't give access to the Helm of Darc anyway -- it's the Shield of Lyte that's hidden in the room opened by this switch.

The Helm of Darc is just lying on the floor in the south-east corner of the dungeon. As noted above, you can get to it through the door at (25,23).
Chrono Crow
Neophyte

Post by Chrono Crow »

Thank you so much. That helped tremendously. And for the record, that map was a bit misleading, but thankfully, I still got what I wanted with no problem. The shield of lyte isn't on level 12. In fact, the only piece of lyte armor on that level is the helm. So the helm of darc really was in that room. They just got the places mixed up. The helm of darc isn't with the rest of the darc armor like that map would suggest. BUT! The point is, the guide helped out a lot. Thank you.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Those maps are generated directly from the game data, so they MUST be correct.

Which map did you look at? The English or Japanese one? If English, the USA or Europe one?

I haven't checked them all out, but it sounds like there are even map differences between the regional versions!
Chrono Crow
Neophyte

Post by Chrono Crow »

Nope, it's the English version. I had found the shield of Lyte a floor or two before 12. But it's a minor issue, though. I got all suits of armor, so I'm happy.