Tomb Raider Underworld

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Tomb Raider Underworld

Post by Trantor »

I remember some discussion about the box art, but not about the actual game itself. Is there anyone except me who has this?

I think I'm in the minority here for liking the last two TR instances, Legend and Anniversary. And if you didn't like those, steer clear of Underworld. It's basically the same engine again, with the same camera troubles and all. There's really not much new stuff in here, apart from maybe a weapon or the occasional new move (like the Prince of Persia-adopted wall jump). You have to ride Lara's motorcycle for quite a bit which is rather annoying. Combat is as bad as ever.
I'm not quite sure what to make of the storyline. It's rather ambitious, and I like that it has a personal touch both for Lara and for the player as it harks back to Legend and even TR1, but the mixing of almost every well-known legend of every culture is getting more and more ridiculous each game. There are seemingly very few levels (like 6 or so), so the size of the game is too small again. But to be honest, I've had this for several weeks now, and I somehow stopped somewhere in the middle of the game (which is not just due to me having very little time). It's still fun to run and jump with the occasional shoot-out, and the game looks absolutely gorgeous, but the flaws of the predecessors aren't exactly fixed and the game offers next to zero innovation.

All in all, I'm a bit disappointed. Of the three "new" TR games, I consider Anniversary the best; it was the biggest, most complex, and had the best atmosphere and setting. If you enjoyed Legend and Anniversary, you will have fun with Underworld, but don't expect anything new or innovative.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Tomb Raider Underworld

Post by Gambit37 »

I gave up on TR. It was my favourite game from that era, but the new games just don't "get it." I monitored the buzz pre Underworld and followed the reception afterwards. Having disliked Legend and Anniversary, I didnt even bother buying this one, I knew I'd hate it.

TR is dead.