How do I raise stats permanently?

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

How do I raise stats permanently?

Post by Trantor »

I'd like to have a potion that raises a stat (strength, dexterity, wisdom etc.) permanently instead of temporarily. I played around a bit with a cloned KU potion and tried the ACTION_BOOST_CHARACTERBYOBJECT, but have found no success yet.
Comparing potions and armor that grants a stat bonus (like the Power Towers or the Dexhelm), it seems that consuming an object to gain the bonus results in a relative bonus, while equipping it results in an absolute bonus. What I mean by that is this: If a piece of armor grants 15 strength, it grants it to anybody, always. If a potion gives you that bonus, the amount of strength gained is related to the strength of the potion and the strength of your character. And the biggest difference is, of course, that potions only give the bonus temporarily. :( Any idea how to make that bonus permanent?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: How do I raise stats permanently?

Post by beowuuf »

Sounds like it is hard coded. You might need to make the potion perhaps gift XP instead, since this is the only other mechanism that grants permanent stats. Won't let you create a potion of anti-magic/fire though :(
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

The sheild potion IS a potion of anti-magic, it just doesn't actually show the stats change. The Shield spell is anti-magic, the Fire-Shield is anti-fire. So if you put (like I did to check this out) a cloned YA potion, and changed the stats to 2 anti-magic, 1 anti-fire. It gives you the anti-fire equivilent of a stats potion (str, dex, etc.), and twice that for anti-magic... So for 1 anti-fire here is the approx amount of anti-fire for potion strength:
25% = 10 - 11, 50% = 12 - 13, 75% = 13 - 16 & 100% = 20 - 24
And here is the approx amount of anti-magic:
25% = 20 - 22, 50% = 24 - 26, 75% = 26 - 32 & 100% = 40 - 48

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sorry, I meant there is no way to grant an EXP boon that only targets anti magic/fire for a permenant stat increase, whereas the four classes would bias a little. Still, the EXP gift for the four stats would be hit or miss
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I get what you mean. There MUST be some way to achieve it. You've read what I've been able to squeeze out the RTC engine... I'm sure I'll find something, or go nuts tryin' :P

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone