Skype anyone?

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Skype anyone?

Post by Trantor »

I know that almost all my attempts at this in Ajax Chat were futile, but I still thought I'd ask: Is there anyone here who would like to talk to some other forum member via Skype? Several months ago, I had a spontaneous Skype conversation with zoom and THOM, and it was actually great fun! I'd be curious to talk to some other people here as well. Plus, you could make fun of my German accent! :P
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Skype anyone?

Post by Ameena »

I only have MSN Messenger, though that does have an audio feature to it - I've kinda yoinked our computer microphone (nabbed it a year or so ago to record Ollie talking and making silly noises) and it's been sitting on my desk for ages not doing anything. I have found in the past (from EQ meets and stuff) that no matter how eloquent and understandable some (non-English) people are in writing, when I hea them speak in person I have no idea what they're saying!
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I have no idea what *I'm* saying most of the time, so I doubt saying it out loud to others would improve the content any ;-)

I have Skype but I only use it for work. I spend too much time on the computer as it is, so I'm unlilkely to engage with you Trantor. Nothing personal, I'm just sick of this damn screen.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I'll pm you my id.... I've forgotten it now though XD

What you REALLY want to do (had this idea 2 days ago) is create a pod-cast. Interview Paul(s), Christophe, ... anyone with a hand in the genre.

Come on some-one!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I agree with Gambit. I simply have to decrease the amount of time I spent at computer - even for health reasons, as my doctors always tell me. And so obviously my work goes first. I'd like to Skype with everyone here from this forum, because all of you are very nice and great people and I'm very happy I can be here :D and I'd like to talk to you personally, very much, but I just cannot spent so much time here, and I know that Skype is a very very very big time-eater. Sadly. Unfortunately. :( From the same reason I'm not using Facebook and many other modern things like that.

I'm so sorry. :? :cry:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

ian_scho wrote:I'll pm you my id.... I've forgotten it now though XD

What you REALLY want to do (had this idea 2 days ago) is create a pod-cast. Interview Paul(s), Christophe, ... anyone with a hand in the genre.

Come on some-one!
I love podcasts :D SOunds a brilliant idea! :D
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Sounds perfect for the Interviews section of DM Codex.... I always intended to get some community member interviews on there too. :-)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

we have those in the "so, tells us about yourself" thread :P Though if someone were to do reviews of the dungeons on youtube :P
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Podcasts and YouTube reviews :shock: Good idea - surprised it hasn't been done before actually. Trantor, you should do all your reviews on YouTube from now on.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

The podcasts are a great idea. Though I'm probably not an important enough member of the community to be interviewed, I'd like to do it if you come up with some interesting questions ian.

Now, the YouTube reviews are perhaps an even better idea! :D I'm not sure if I have the equipment and skills to do those things, and right now my time is severely limited, but I will definitely keep this in mind!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Like Trant, I have no techincal skills to know how to record the screen for youtube. also, it's been a while since I played some of this stuff. Otherwise, that would be a cool idea!
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I think most webcams probably come with some kind of recording software - you can probably just use that to film yourself. Then just upload the vid to YouTube as you would any other. I don't have a webcam though, so I can't mess around with it myself. Not that I can think of any reason why people on YouTube would want to see me sitting there talking about something, lol.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, my camera would do a decent film (though no editing software) but it would look rubbish on the screen. No idea how you would go about capturing the screen instead.

And maybe you can borrow ollie again and have his commentary on your game playing?

Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I actually looked into this just now, and it doesn't seem too bad. So, give me some time and motivation, and I might spam the forum with random YouTube links! New reasons for banning me ahead...
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Fraps immediately springs to mind for capture software. I've not used it in a long time and there may be better alternatives but there's a lot of support and tutorials as it's possibly the most common.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I have Fraps. If you only have the free version, you can only record vids of up to 30 seconds. Can't remember how much it costs. I got it (the free version) just so I had something decent I could use to get some screengrabs to use as desktop wallpaper :D.
And Wuffy, funny you should mention Ollie - I think I'll be getting him again in a couple of weeks or so :D.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Woohoo! Podcast of you speaking to Ollie - two hours of fun!

Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Two hours of something anyway ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Winner of the caption contest gets to name the podcast!