Floor text - can't disable

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Neilski
Novice

Floor text - can't disable

Post by Neilski »

Another daft editing question which I can't solve. I have a switch, which when pressed, turns into an alcove with a dagger in it. When the dagger is picked up I have a localised sound, OK so far, and I have text saying something. But i want this disabled afterwards which I cannot do - everytime party steps back onto the square the text appears again. No idea how to disable it - seems I've tried everything - simple for someone in the know like you lot!!

Wassa a relay do as well? - they seem to be everywhere. NFI.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You can put a floor trigger that targets the floor text with a disable. So when the party steps on the floor the text speaks, but also the party disable the text. You can also get the floor pad to destroy the text if you prefer

Relays relay signals! At their simplest, they pass one a message and add a delay or split it into multiple destinations or alter it's flavour

The relay can now be made to process the signal, checking it against a condition and seeing if that condition is met
Mon Ful Ir
Adept

Post by Mon Ful Ir »

Code: Select all

/******************************************************************************/
/* Items                                                                      */
/******************************************************************************/
[Items]

; Level 0
ref000202-1	FLOORITEM_TEXT			0	1	0			TEXT=(YOUR TEXT GOES HERE)
ref000202-2	FLOORITEM_TRIGGER			0	1	0			OPBY=(PARTY)	ACTION=(DESTROY)	TARGET=(ref000202-1)	OPTIONS=(DISABLE_SELF)
Mon Ful Ir
Adept

Post by Mon Ful Ir »

That'll do exactly what you want. It makes a set of floor text that works once, then disappears.
Neilski
Novice

Post by Neilski »

that didnt do what I wanted it to - i wanted the text to appear as I opened the alcove - but I sorted it by putting another trigger in with a short delay to destroy the floor text - this seems to work - everything else failed miserably!!

Ok - i have a lever to open a door which I also want to activate a hidden switch nearby. I can get the lever to do one or the other but not both. Cant seem to activate and deactivate with the same lever.
Mon Ful Ir
Adept

Post by Mon Ful Ir »

Neilski wrote:Ok - i have a lever to open a door which I also want to activate a hidden switch nearby. I can get the lever to do one or the other but not both. Cant seem to activate and deactivate with the same lever.
This is where you get to use a relay.

Set the lever to "activate" on mouse and give it two targets: the hidden switch, and a relay. (The relay goes in any old area of wall).

Then set the relay to "deactivate" and give it the target of the door.
Neilski
Novice

Post by Neilski »

Are you getting bored with my idle questions yet? That seemed to work ta very much - but I have an invisible switch I want to make visible with - wait for it - the very same lever. All this is the first damn room - gawd knows whats gonna happen on level 16 - (already mapped I might add).
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Another relay, and I think by default the 'toggle' property / activate aimed at a switchgraphic that is invisible makes it visible
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I edited the code block above. Please only post the relevant parts, not entire files, thanks. :)
Duckman
Adept

Re: Floor text - can't disable

Post by Duckman »

There are two ways: make a trigger DESTROY it, or instead of a floor text place a trigger (with self disable) to target a speech.
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.