Retro Gaming

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Re: Retro Gaming

Post by Trantor »

I just got Bane of the Cosmic Forge (maybe better known as Wizardry VI) running on my machine. I played it once in maybe 1992 or 1993 and even completed it with the help of a walkthrough. I'm still amazed I managed to do that because I remember the game to be insanely difficult. My memories of the game aren't the best, but I fondly remember the combat and magic system, the skills and the myriads of character classes. I also remember several of the locations and often felt reminded of the game when playing custom dungeons (the bridge puzzle in Towers of Chaos always reminded me of the bridge puzzle in the mountains, and the mines of Conflux reminded me of those in Bane). Granted, it didn't age as well as DM, and needing hours to finally create a character who could become a Samurai or Ninja is just terrible, but I might have a serious go at the game again. After all, my English back then wasn't too great, so I probably missed at least half of what was going on. So, if you don't see too much of me in the coming weeks, Bane just might be the reason... :wink:
ParuNexus
Adept

Post by ParuNexus »

hmm current retro games right now? Phantasy Star 2 Rev 2 sega Genesis USA version, about 5 months ago i started to play Lunar Silver star Story complete PC edition(i found both CD's to install it).
things before that... while not "retro" per say I was playing Lineage 1 and Everquest on 2 free private server's(i.e. 1 server for each game)., normally I play alot of rpg's from just about any machine that has cga graphics or better.
Past favorite\games played: Might and Magic(2 almost exclusively but some others), Captive(mostly PC), Ultima(various game& system), EoB serries(PC), Darklands(Germanic "d&d" dos game). I think i played a pc version of defender of the crown some time ago.
Want to talk about Dungeon master, or shoot the breeze, come check out Dungeon Master Discord(not affiliated with
other DM series sites) @ https://discord.gg/5YzEcPT
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I've just finished Loom (once again), and started playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (I must have finished it five times before). I love the old LucasArts' adventures. :P
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Narjhan
Apprentice

Post by Narjhan »

Jan wrote:I've just finished Loom (once again), and started playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (I must have finished it five times before). I love the old LucasArts' adventures. :P
Rah Im gonna have to play it again, kinda missing the lovely Sophia :)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Narjhan wrote:Rah Im gonna have to play it again, kinda missing the lovely Sophia :)
(in the dark)
TOUCH METAL THING
"It's a portable generator."
TOUCH SOPHIA
*smack*
"Ouch!"

:P
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Did anyone ever play Darkmere? I didn't, but I found this page about it on the artist's site (Mark Jones) and it looks lovely:

http://home.comcast.net/~mjonesgraphics/darkmere.html

If anyone has an IPF image of the game, I'd love to give it a try :-)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I wrote something about Bane of the Cosmic Forge above, and I indeed just finished the game after three weeks of rather intense gaming. The game is still great, if extremely difficult. Again, I had to use the help of maps and walkthroughs, as some of the stuff in it is really hard to figure out. The storyline and atmosphere are indeed fantastic, and it doesn't really matter that a lot of it is stolen from Greek mythology or Lewis Carroll.
Now I am tempted to try the sequel Crusaders of the Dark Savant. In the early 90s, I never got very far in that game; I have to catch up.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Sorry for double posting, but I just couldn't resist; I fired up Wizardry 7. It took me forever to find out how to import my savegame from Bane (stupid DosBox meddling with the paths and drives!), but now I'm ready to go. Since many of the items are lost, I'm happy that my best weapon survived the transfer. What's really funny is that the so-called "advanced" interface with easier mouse control is actually more complicated and inconvenient than the pure keyboard control of the older game. But so what, I'm going to have fun! :D
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Crusaders of the Dark Savant
I tried that on several occasions. Wow! I have the
clue book (179 pages!) and I still failed. That thing
is big and complicated. Wow! again!.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

The biggest map I ever puzzled - prepare that you will always go over the edge of your paper.
And yes - use any hint you can get, it's complicated enough, so it's just fair. I doubt that you really stand a chance without hints. I just remember that you had to find a special location within the wilderness at a special time - nothing but a square like all the others... and then the dialogs...
Also - you'll get send from one end to the other - ways are long - the big number of random encounters will proof your nerves.
Stay on the clear paths if possible, makes it a bit better.
Altogether - this needs time!
Narjhan
Apprentice

Post by Narjhan »

Paul Stevens wrote:
Crusaders of the Dark Savant
I tried that on several occasions. Wow! I have the
clue book (179 pages!) and I still failed. That thing
is big and complicated. Wow! again!.
Lol same here. I even got some FAQs in 1998, about 2 MB written in text (!!), cant remember how many hundred pages there were. And still didnt beat the game doh :oops:
andilist
Novice

Post by andilist »

Hello beowuuf,
beowuuf wrote:Commodore 64 - Rick Dangerous 2 :oops:
that game almost made me crazy! Especially the sound when one more life was lost... :roll:

I broke many joysticks until I finished it... :!:

Kind regards,

Andi

By the way: I loved all the AD&D stuff from SSI on my AMIGA. Played it day in day out...
Dungeon Master - The best game ever on my AMIGA => Now it´s running again on my PC